DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For some reason, I am not feeling Lesnar vs. Barnett even though Barnett has developed a weird, inexplicable dislike for Lesnar.

Hardly weird or inexplicable, he's not a very likable fella.

• Like 1

Brock Lesnar beats Mark Hunt by decision in his return to the UFC's Octagon. Amanda Nunes easily beats Miesha Tate by submission in the fist round and becomes the new UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion.

I like the gold canvas after getting used to it.

• Like 2

With his win and desire to keep fighting, would UFC and WWE cooperate with a joint contract of sorts if he wanted to do both? Lesnar could be like Barnett, fights once a year it seems and does grappling on the side. I'm not sure if Brock wants to keep wrestling and if Vince was smart he'd release him if he requested it so it didn't become an issue like last time, but if he does want to do both part time I am not sure if either company would say no.

35 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

With his win and desire to keep fighting, would UFC and WWE cooperate with a joint contract of sorts if he wanted to do both? Lesnar could be like Barnett, fights once a year it seems and does grappling on the side. I'm not sure if Brock wants to keep wrestling and if Vince was smart he'd release him if he requested it so it didn't become an issue like last time, but if he does want to do both part time I am not sure if either company would say no.

I don't think either could say no. I don't think the WWE wants Brock to bolt once this deal is up. UFC is willing to do something they wouldn't have done five years ago by having a fighter signed with another entity. He can pretty much can rake anyone over the coals he feels like.

5 hours ago, CHIKARA MARK~! said:

7654845.gif

Here is a glass of hater tears with a Coors Light, I mean Bud Light, chaser.

I love that he mentioned that as a joke in the post-fight presser.  I have never seen Brock so happy.  It is scary.

• Like 2

Nice of him to throw in the Summerslam plug at the end, he is still playing the game for now. I mean he is much older/wiser than last time when things got so contentious between him and WWE, he might have just mellowed a bit. Crazy seeing him looking so happy.

• Like 1

Well, he did get robbed of years (as well as a foot of his intestines) of his MMA career. I would be happy too if I came back and beat someone who everyone thought was going to smash me. Also, managed to make a shitload of money doing it.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think either could say no. I don't think the WWE wants Brock to bolt once this deal is up. UFC is willing to do something they wouldn't have done five years ago by having a fighter signed with another entity. He can pretty much can rake anyone over the coals he feels like.

Brock Lesnar will do what Brock Lesnar wants.

• Like 1

So both Lesnar and Hunt had a big qeakness, right?

If Lesnar shoots, Hunt will knee/punch his face off. If Hunt strikes, Lesnar will take him down.

So then the story of the fight is that one of the two was utterly fearless about that weakness and took the risk over and over again and the other waited. 

Brock Lesnar: without fear.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, piranesi said:

So both Lesnar and Hunt had a big qeakness, right?

If Lesnar shoots, Hunt will knee/punch his face off. If Hunt strikes, Lesnar will take him down.

So then the story of the fight is that one of the two was utterly fearless about that weakness and took the risk over and over again and the other waited. 

Brock Lesnar: without fear.

There is a formula to beat Mark Hunt. Since Lesnar doesn't the skill of a Stipe Miocic to just paste Hunt over and over on the feet, he had to fight Hunt from a distance. At no point was Lesnar willing to engage on the inside or in tight really outside of grappling. Lesnar was throwing jabs that weren't landing, but if Hunt didn't want to close the distance or cut the cage off, then that's as good as landing them. All throughout that second round, Brock's takedown attempts were porous and the setups for them were nonexistent. So if Hunt decided to blitz him at certain points, that wasn't a lot Lesnar could do other than clinch and hope nothing big lands. However, I think Hunt was very much resigned that over committing on one big strike would probably put his back on the mat. When Brock grabbed that single in round 3, his first step was as explosive as it was in round one. Since he wasn't going to get the single, he put his head down and rushed Hunt into the cage, switched to a double, and drove Hunt down. If you're fighting someone who doesn't have a good guillotine choke, that's pretty much textbook. Hunt was exhausted by then so he wasn't going offer much resistance. So it wasn't as much about fear as it was Lesnar doing what he needed to do and avoiding Hunt at all cost at close range.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Here is a glass of hater tears with a Coors Light, I mean Bud Light, chaser.

I love that he mentioned that as a joke in the post-fight presser.  I have never seen Brock so happy.  It is scary.

I was going to post about that Coors Light line. Loved the callback to UFC 100. 

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is a formula to beat Mark Hunt. Since Lesnar doesn't the skill of a Stipe Miocic to just paste Hunt over and over on the feet, he had to fight Hunt from a distance. At no point was Lesnar willing to engage on the inside or in tight really outside of grappling. Lesnar was throwing jabs that weren't landing, but if Hunt didn't want to close the distance or cut the cage off, then that's as good as landing them. All throughout that second round, Brock's takedown attempts were porous and the setups for them were nonexistent. So if Hunt decided to blitz him at certain points, that wasn't a lot Lesnar could do other than clinch and hope nothing big lands. However, I think Hunt was very much resigned that over committing on one big strike would probably put his back on the mat. When Brock grabbed that single in round 3, his first step was as explosive as it was in round one. Since he wasn't going to get the single, he put his head down and rushed Hunt into the cage, switched to a double, and drove Hunt down. If you're fighting someone who doesn't have a good guillotine choke, that's pretty much textbook. Hunt was exhausted by then so he wasn't going offer much resistance. So it wasn't as much about fear as it was Lesnar doing what he needed to do and avoiding Hunt at all cost at close range.

This is too complicated and I only understood 30% of it. 

BROCK LESNAR HAS NO FEAR works on a poster, in a pop-up ad, or even on a birthday cake!

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Brock also has a nine inch reach advantage.  81 vs 72 inches.  He can just use that jab to keep Hunt at a distance.  Going for the big strike is nice but the reach disadvantage means you have to get through the jabs.  It does not matter if Brock misses on the jabs so long as it establishes distance which sets up for a takedown.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How is it too complicated? That's what happened.

I meant it's too complicated for a shallow buffoon like me who only wants the story to be either:

BROCK LESNAR BEFOULED: LEGENDARY BEAST REVEALS HUMAN FRAILTY, HUBRIS

or

BROCK LESNAR IS GRENDEL NOW: WORLD TREMBLES, AWAITS SAVIOR

Anything more nuanced than that and you've lost the likes of me.  Remember, I operate at a level where American Ninja 5 got too technical and lost the magic of the first four.

14 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Brock also has a nine inch reach advantage.  81 vs 72 inches.  He can just use that jab to keep Hunt at a distance.  Going for the big strike is nice but the reach disadvantage means you have to get through the jabs.  It does not matter if Brock misses on the jabs so long as it establishes distance which sets up for a takedown.

Exactly. Lesnar was circling to his left (Hunt's right) meaning Lesnar could have ran into a giant right hand when he was doing that. Except...Hunt was almost on the other side of the octagon. Not like Rin Nakai's air strikes vs. Miesha Tate level hilarious, but pretty damn close considering Mark Hunt has short arms and short, stubby legs for the division. When he did get closer, Brock was doing this semi-shoulder roll thing where he was using his shoulder to block any punches. Instead of running at him at in a straight line (which is usually a huge no-no, but Hunt's chin is insane and Brock never dealt with that very well), Hunt just kinda stood in front of him, pumping this weak jab, and circling with him. Either he thought Brock was just going ran at him like a madman throwing punches himself and get himself clipped or Hunt's team spent all of three minutes coming up with a strategy.

• Like 1