DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I'm in the same boat with FS2 on TWC (no HD version either).  I was going to cancel my package that gives me Fuel TV/FS2, then I realized that there's still some original programming and live fights on FS2.  

But they said they are going to move all the prelims for the FS1 fights to FS1, so there's that at least (for people wanting it all to move to 1 channel).  

I imagine the premiere of TUF will pop a decent rating at least since they've been hyping it up about as strongly as the debut FS1 card.

So now it appears they are setting up Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans.  Oddly, the people who hated the Sonnen vs. Phil Davis fight think this is a great fight.  I think it stinks just as much (esp. after Rashad's last few fights).

Sonnen/Evans is fine as neither are going to get a rematch with Jones. Davis is closer to a title shot and is a fresh match-up for Jones, so no point in having him fight an irrelevant fight against Sonnen.

• Like 1

So now it appears they are setting up Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans.  Oddly, the people who hated the Sonnen vs. Phil Davis fight think this is a great fight.  I think it stinks just as much (esp. after Rashad's last few fights).

Well Rashad Evans is a bigger name, and Evans also beat Phil Davis and is a former champion so there's that.

They're all relevant right now.  After Jones crushes the spirit of Gustafsson, he's probably going to fight Glover and there's not anything else for him at LHW except the hypothetical Cormier fight that probably won't happen.  So I see maybe a couple more defenses at LHW before he moves to HW, meaning all of these guys will be trying to climb a ladder that doesn't end with Jon Jones at the top and all of these matchups are very relevant.  

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with it, because honestly, what the hell can you do with Rashad at 205? He already beat Davis and Hendo, got clowned by Jones and Machida, lost to Rogerio...at least him and Sonnen are both coming off wins. They could do worse.

• Like 1

Apparently, Bellator might be trying to pull a fast one and do the King Mo/Newton interim LHW title fight while Attila Vegh is healthy. Bellator refuted those claims by releasing a medical report from April. However, the chief editor of mmarocks.pl and Tomasz Marciniak (two reputable sources for all things Polish/East Euro MMA) have pretty much said that Vegh would be fine to start training for a fight.

• Like 1

Bellator's attempt at damage control of this situation has been an epic failure.  They released a medical document to "prove" Vegh is injured, yet the document is dated April 15, 2013.  Also it stays he should get 6-8 weeks of treatment.  Meaning he would've been fine to start training in the middle of June.  And they just announced this Mo/Newton rematch.

If Bellator just said they wanted to settle the grudge match to see who gets the shot, I think fans would've gone with it more than this ridiculousness.

I really hope someone is telling Dana that they are risking serious oversaturation. If you watched everything, you had 5 hours last Wednesday (6 if you want the pre shows), 5 hours last night, and I believe 7 hours this Wednesday if you count the Ultimate Fighter premiere. Hopefully once they the shine of the new network is gone they take it down a notch.  

What blows my mind isn't a mid-week show and then a PPV, it's shit like this.

Fight Night 31: Fight for the Troops 3. 11/6/2013

Fight Night 32: Belfort vs Henderson. 11/9/2013

Two network shows in a week, one of which has two fights announced two months away. That's a big much.

re: prelims, they've really always been for the diehards and people wanting a shitload of MMA. If you skip the two hour prelim block this Wednesday, all you're missing is four fights featuring (I believe) eight Brazilians that aren't exactly household names. The only live sport on Wednesday nights in the late summer/early fall in baseball, so they're just throwing shit at the wall for a guaranteed ratings spike. I'd imagine they'd scale back after Thanksgiving when college hoops are back, but who in the hell knows?

Me, I just like watching good, competative fights. I used to get seriously annoyed on the old board, reading some of those threads, to see some idiot post "There was a show. Some dudes fought. It meant nothing in the scheme of things."  One of the main reasons I watch UFC is that you get enough fights in a single card that it is damn near imossible to see only bad fights. Unlike a lot of televised boxing cards or ppv's, in this current era.

I just find it odd that in a time when sports fans can buy packages to see as many football or baseball games as possible, so-called hard core MMA fans spend so much time being picky about what they watch and complaining about too much.

It would be nice to catch every show but i just can't always. And for the shows i do watch I'd like if they didnt continue to get watered down due to the increase in events they put on every year. You don't add events and up the quality at the same time. It doesn't work like that.

I brought this up maybe two years ago on the board, but I think the one thing UFC (and boxing today now that I think about it) had over the NFL and probably the NBA was the fact that you can tune in without it feeling like it interrupts your normal life (excluding people who work nights or the weekends). I think part of the fanbase wants this, the others don't want it, and it's still interfering with drawing casual fans. On Sundays during the NFL regular season, I have to lock down my whole day from noon to six and then seven to almost eleven for SNF. Right now, it feels like as a hardcore fan you have to do that for the UFC with no offseason. Just bye weeks here and there. The only reason I am not completely against this is because I remember the days of the Don King boxing cards of the mid-90s. You would have six or seven WORLD title fights and then you have legit prospects underneath those fights. With boxing the way it is now, you're lucky to have three on a PPV card. And at least one of them is going to be for a cherrypick vacant title bout or like some regular/interim title. Sure 2 or 3 of those six title fights probably suck, but it doesn't feel like a chore because those cards were every 3-4 months. UFC has many times blurred the lines between main card and prelims because the quality tends to vary drastically. I am not sure people are willing to tune in if they have to watch seven hours of content to figure out which fights are important.