DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

That is literally the oddest fight I can think of them giving Condit or Brown.  I'm glad to see Matt Brown get a higher up fight, but he's been subbed a whole bunch.  And Condit gains absolutely nothing by beating a guy not in the top 10.  

Matt Brown is in the top 10 and Brown is the fight Condit asked for.  Everyone else in the top 10 is busy right now anyway.  

The division would be much better off if Benavidez wins the rematch, since he's a lot more exciting of a fighter.  It's not so much that the FLW division itself is boring that people fail to realize, it's the champ is boring and as figure head for the division what your opinion of a division overall is usually based on who the champ is.

• Like 1

People thought the middleweight division would be better off with Nate Marquardt as champ. A title changing hands doesn't do a lot for the shortcomings of a division. It doesn't change that fact that many lower level promotions still aren't running flyweight fights at pace to produce quality talent. The hope was a few years ago that places like Shooto (and Shooto Brazil by proxy) and Tachi Palace would churn out guys to be at the top. But it turns out that many guys who had several flyweight fights already weren't that good (ex. Jussier Formiga, Urushitani). Because of that, the guys who aren't burning down the house at bantamweight are going to smash the gatekeepers to earn their way into the top ten. If Scott Jorgensen ran all over Ian McCall to earn a title shot, are you excited to see him fight Benavidez (or DJ)? A Benavidez vs. Jorgensen co-main ain't selling no PPVs if a legit headlining fight fell out. Hell, that fight might do average WEC Versus numbers on Fox Sports 1 as a main event.

can we say the Flyweight experiment failed yet? DJ's already beaten all 3 possible opponents for him, and not a single person is excited to watch him fight.

I'm not a fan of the Flyweight division not for some of the fights I've seen but the division is small (pun wasn't intended). I preferred it when Bantamweight was the smallest UFC weight class.

DJ's already beaten all 3 possible opponents for him, and not a single person is excited to watch him fight.

I'm sure he has a few friends and acquaintances who thinks it's cool to watch him fight!

... I also think he's a pretty damn cool fighter to watch, honestly, so that's at least a handful right there. 

Seriously, the guy might not be a draw, but he's put on a fair share of exciting performances already. Moraga's not an established guy, but I was still thoroughly impressed when DJ looked for and risked jumping on a submission, despite being in the final minutes of the final rounds of a championship match that he was comfortably ahead in.

The division would be much better off if Benavidez wins the rematch, since he's a lot more exciting of a fighter.  It's not so much that the FLW division itself is boring that people fail to realize, it's the champ is boring and as figure head for the division what your opinion of a division overall is usually based on who the champ is.

this is true. the group i watched the last event at was super excited after the Benevidez match. DJ gets an eye roll.

A title changing hands doesn't change that fact that many lower level promotions still aren't running flyweight fights at pace to produce quality talent. The hope was a few years ago that places like Shooto (and Shooto Brazil by proxy) and Tachi Palace would churn out guys to be at the top. But it turns out that many guys who had several flyweight fights already weren't that good (ex. Jussier Formiga, Urushitani). Because of that, the guys who aren't burning down the house at bantamweight are going to smash the gatekeepers to earn their way into the top ten. If Scott Jorgensen ran all over Ian McCall to earn a title shot, are you excited to see him fight Benavidez (or DJ)? A Benavidez vs. Jorgensen co-main ain't selling no PPVs if a legit headlining fight fell out. Hell, that fight might do average WEC Versus numbers on Fox Sports 1 as a main event.

this is what i was getting at, but put much more eloquently than i did.

i know the plan was to use Flyweight to expand to other areas (Asia/Mexico) but they should speed up the process. With how shallow and small (pun intended this time) the division is, it is already stale. If Johnson beats Beneviez in November (again), what do they do next?

Tate is coming across really well and level headed.  Ronda is coming across horribly, which I'm sure is driving Dana crazy.  Brian Caraway said that the editors are actually holding back on how Ronda was, which is just crazy to think about.

• Like 1

BTW in a historic moment in MMA, everyone made weight for tonight's Bellator card.  It is actually a damn good card and you can catch Bubba Jenkins and "Mighty Mo" Siliga on the undercard.

MAIN CARD (Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET)
Douglas Lima (169.9) vs. Ben Saunders (169.4) - Season 8 welterweight tournament final
Vaughn Anderson (170.1) vs. War Machine (170.4) - welterweight tournament opening round
Rick Hawn (170.6) vs. Herman Terrado (171) - welterweight tournament opening round
Justin Baesman (170.1) vs. Brent Weedman (170.4) - welterweight tournament opening round
Ron Keslar (170.5) vs. Luis Melo (170.8) - welterweight tournament opening round

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com, 7:30 p.m. ET)
Brandon Bender (135.2) vs. Travis Marx (135.8) - bantamweight tourney semifinal
Larue Burley (153.8) vs. Bubba Jenkins (155.6)
Liam McGeary (204.5) vs. Beau Tribolet (204.1)
Dan Charles (235) vs. Siala-Mou Siliga (264.2)
Johnny Buck (170.4) vs. Adam McDonough (170.5)
Clifford Starks (202.7) vs. Joe Yager (205.5)

Efrain Escudero (155.2) vs. Zack Surdyka (155)