DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

According to Tristen Critchfield, the mystery UFC 178 fight is Donald Cerrone vs. Eddie Alvarez. It should be noted that Alvarez was not present for the Bellator Dave and Buster's NYC media appearance yesterday.

While a great fight, LOL @ Meltzer saying it would add a huge amount of buys for the PPV.

According to Tristen Critchfield, the mystery UFC 178 fight is Donald Cerrone vs. Eddie Alvarez. It should be noted that Alvarez was not present for the Bellator Dave and Buster's NYC media appearance yesterday.

While a great fight, LOL @ Meltzer saying it would add a huge amount of buys for the PPV.

It definitely isn't a fight that will add that many PPV buys on its own.  I mean if people who were on the fence of ordering this PPV it might push them over and convince them to go through with the purchase.

Peace offering from Scott Coker perhaps?  

I saw Helwani and Gross bring up the whole Shields/SF/Coker thing and that made me think for a sec. What upside is there for Alvarez staying in Bellator? So if there is any truth to the speculation, I would assume it is more of a direction move than a peace offering. This ain't a 1980s wrestling territory where Eddie Alvarez has to put someone over on his way out. Chandler and Brooks are their guys in the lightweight division for the foreseeable future. Why would you try to mess up that situation even further with Rebney gone? If you want to define what the direction is going forward, this would be the time. It would be stupid letting Brooks or Chandler fight Eddie knowing what's going on behind the scenes contractually. It would be so bush league.

That's kind of what already happened though.  If this is legit, Alvarez has already beaten your champion going out the door, remember.

Brooks won a fake interim title that was made because Alvarez got a concussion.  So Bellator matched up Brooks, the tournament winner, against Chandler the former champion because they desperately needed a title fight for the PPV.

So I guess, they don't want Bellator to look more bush league than it already does.

I don't think that really matters.  The person that pays close enough attention to Bellator to know and understand the title situation between Alvarez, Chandler, and Brooks aren't going to say "this is bullshit, this title means nothing, I'm not watching this anymore."  That person is going to watch anyway. 

a year from now, nobody will still be talking about Brooks/Chandler/whoever not having the "real" belt. unless there's been no defenses or something. a title belt is valued by defending against top contenders. if that happens going forward, then this new one IS the "real" belt.

nobody says Jon Jones isn't the real champion because he didn't beat Frank Shamrock, who never lost the LHW belt.