DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Guest Edwin

Guessing they're giving Ill Will a gimmie fight with hopes of a quick and ugly stoppage to build him up as a new future star possibly. It's the only logical thing to me.

Bellator imploded at the weigh ins today with two tournament fights cancelled.  Andrey Koreshkov vs. Sam Oropeza was cancelled due to Koreshkov having the flu; Jeremy Kimball vs. Dan Cramer was cancelled because Kimball missed weight bad.

Jake Shields has just joined the Fitch and Okami club.

Well isn't this a matter of his contract was up and they chose not to renew?

Honestly good riddance.  I don't hate Shields or anything but he's a one dimensional fighter and he continued to be a one dimensional fighter in the UFC.  Now don't get me wrong, he beat some talented dudes.  And he was so good at that one thing he was able to beat a lot of people, but when he runs into guys that are better at that one thing or more well rounded, he gets embarrassed.  He's never going to get any better.  Fighters don't really change or evolve at this point in their careers.  He got his chance against GSP and looked like utter dog shit.

UFC is heading to Auckland, New Zealand on June 28 with an event headlined by James Te-Huna vs. Nate Marquardt, the fight will be a Middleweight bout.

What did Auckland do to deserve that?

• Like 1

Jake Shields has just joined the Fitch and Okami club.

Well isn't this a matter of his contract was up and they chose not to renew?

According to folks, he still had one fight left.  His manager said they had no idea this would happen.

As expected, they pulled a fast one on Wanderlei and his match against Sonnen is now expected to be on UFC 175. The new main event for the Brazil show is JDS vs. Stipe Miocic, so UFC 173 takes another hit.

As expected, they pulled a fast one on Wanderlei and his match against Sonnen is now expected to be on UFC 175. The new main event for the Brazil show is JDS vs. Stipe Miocic, so UFC 173 takes another hit.

Dana (on Friday IIRC) said they were still moving stuff around.

Personally, I would kept Wanderlei vs. Sonnen in Sao Paulo. Even if they probably were scared of Sonnen winning, they're broadcasting TUF in Brazil on Globo. Why have the show on a top network in Brazil (Fight Pass in the U.S.) and then have the fight in the U.S.? IMO, the Brazil show is taking a bigger hit than 173. UFC 173 wasn't going to sell tickets anyway while the Brazilian fans would paid to see Wanderlei vs. Sonnen. With 175, it helps that they have two events that week along with the expo. I would've moved Wanderlei vs. Sonnen to 173 if JDS vs. Miocic HAD to be the main event in Brazil.

UFC cutting Shields makes so much sense. UFC has a lot of dead weight that I am surprised they are keeping around. Henderson has proven not to be a draw and he is on the wrong side of 30. He should be gone. The same with BOTH of the Nogueria brothers. Also add Shogun and Wanderlei to the list of over-the-hill guys who should be gone (4-3-1 gets released but 6-7 and 5-4 get to stay? ). There is seriously NO REASON to keep any of those guys around. People will toss out Brazil as being a reason to keep The Noguerias and Shogun, but in reality Cigano and the young guard is a better keep. The only Brazilians who have proven to be draws are Cigano and Anderson Silva. If those two are the Brazilian Ambassadors

Shields is a good fighter but he has no charisma and cannot cut money promos. Shields doesn't care about self-branding and only cares about being part of the machine. Well the machine isn't behind him anymore...Dana White is correct: Jake Shields is just another guy.I'm just curious as to why these prennial top ten cuts are happening in MW and WW and not where it needs to happen most: LHW.

I'll take the bait...

Even if you want to simplify it to the smallest form, Shogun, Minotauro, and Minotoro are there for Brazilian television purposes. The UFC hasn't exactly made Jose Aldo and Renan Barao (or any of the TUF Brazil winners) into household names domestically. Jose Aldo was starting to turn the corner with the Mendes fight, but it cooled down with the year and half to see him again when he fought CSJ. The fact that 7,000 people turned up in a venue without any ACs (UFC brought some in) and absurd humidity to see Shogun/Henderson is a testament to why you can't cut those guys. Erick Silva couldn't do that. Feijao couldn't do that. The old guard (the ex Pride stalwarts along with Anderson and Vitor) are still way bigger stars than the new guard even if you decide to throw Werdum and JDS in the latter mix.

The UFC has Cigano and A. Silva locked into contracts. No other Brazilian is a draw. Barao and Aldo have been tearing up ass in the states, but outside of Brazil neither is a star. Barao and Texeria have proven not to even be draws in Brazil (didn't Bader/Texeria draw something like 4K fans in a 10K arena? ). Zuffa honestly does not need The Brothers, W. Silva, or Shogun. Vitor is up there in age but is still a dynamic fighter who is act and kicking ass. Same can be side for Lyoto. I just feel the LHW division has too much dead weight that is being held onto because Dana fears that if he releases W. Silva, The Nogs, Shogun, and Henderson, then those 5 will lead Bellator into their Golden Age alonside King Mo, Tito Ortiz, and Rampage Jackson.

I don't see the reason for keeping the over-the-hill fighters in any fighting capacity as they have proven not to be draws. Henderson drew a terrible buy in Toronto. Big Nog last meant something in 2008 while Little Nog has been completely irrevelant to the mainstream due to constant injuries. The guy as of right now holds no credibility based off his last two fights and the few people clamoring for his return are regulated to his household.