DVDVR Message Board

2013 NFL Preseason

Dolfan in NYC

If you ignore his freshman season, Tebow threw the ball 23.5 times per game and ran it 15 times per game. Hard to get away with that for very long in the NFL if you're that inaccurate. For hilarious comparison, former Hawaii nobody Timmy Chang threw it 46 times per game. For hilarity's sake, David Klinger in 1990 threw the ball 58.5 times a game that season. Shockingly, he didn't do anything in the NFL.

Amusingly, on another end of the spectrum, in 2007, all time Lions great Kevin Smith had more rushing attempts than anyone has ever had in NFL history in a season. He scored more than half his team's touchdowns for that entire season and they scored quite a bit.

Disregarding media coverage, I think it's more of a matter of having to work with the guy and share a locker room which isn't a typical employer setting. They have a weird trust thing, I'm not sure it can be explained very well. If you found out someone you worked with was a massive racist or any other massive character issue and you were forced to work closely with them, I'm not sure most people would be able to do get over it. Maybe they would, I can't speak for everyone.

Bah, he was drunk and said something really stupid in a public setting. If he'd been sober and saying this, then I could see a reason for the shitstorm and all the shunning from his teammates. As it is, Cooper comes off like a pariah and his teammates(especially Shady, who has no right to be critical of anybody given what's come out about him in regard to his ex-girlfriend) come off like childish assholes.

Maybe things are a bit different in the locker room when the cameras aren't there, but right now everyone looks bad.

It's easier to ostracize some one than to actually sit down with them and talk about what they did and try to learn each other's points of views. Football players, sadly, are not built for these types of situations. Actually neither is just about the majority of America.

He could have said a million different things when met with the disappointment of not being able to meet Chesney.

He chose his words for a reason, and him claiming that it's the first time he ever said it is laughable.

If he'd been sober, he wouldn't of said it out of fear of getting his ass kicked by the security guard he yelled it at.

Really? Professional athlete needs liquid courage.  I highly doubt it.  If he'd have been sober I doubt he'd have said it because he'd be sober and not drunk and stupid.  But hell, maybe he would have said it then too, who knows.  

Bah, he was drunk and said something really stupid in a public setting. If he'd been sober and saying this, then I could see a reason for the shitstorm and all the shunning from his teammates. As it is, Cooper comes off like a pariah and his teammates(especially Shady, who has no right to be critical of anybody given what's come out about him in regard to his ex-girlfriend) come off like childish assholes.

Maybe things are a bit different in the locker room when the cameras aren't there, but right now everyone looks bad.

I don't buy this sort of thinking.  If I get drunk, I don't see myself calling a gay person f*g, a Jewish person k**e, or what have you.  The bottom line is that Cooper has these feelings in his mind.  Being drunk just gave him a false sense of bravado and a flimsy reason to say what was already on his tongue.

Just because other players have been wrong doesn't mean Cooper should get a pass for his wrongdoing.  Let's not apologize for his ignorance.  You wouldn't apologize for mine, and vice versa.

If he'd been sober, he wouldn't of said it out of fear of getting his ass kicked by the security guard he yelled it at.

Really? Professional athlete needs liquid courage.  I highly doubt it.  If he'd have been sober I doubt he'd have said it because he'd be sober and not drunk and stupid.  But hell, maybe he would have said it then too, who knows.
I live in Upstate NY. There are tons of racists here. Ninety-nine percent of them wouldn't say shit to a black person to their face.Getting drunk doesn't implant things into your mind. Getting drunk removes the thought that the terrible thing you're about to do or say is a bad idea.I guarantee you he's used racial slurs amongst all-white company before, and probably still will.
  • Like 1

I guess I fall into the middle on this. Drunk people saying some bold shit is nothing new, but it's the history of what he says that makes it very bad. Now, it's standard fare for a WSHH fight video compilations. Forty or forty-five years ago, what he said would normally easily escalate into more serious violence towards black people.

I'm surprised they just haven't cut him. Though I suppose it is difficult to take that strong a stand when you have a team in your division with a name considered racist.

Considered?

The amount of people that don't think it's racist or outright don't care is bizarrely high. At least amongst sports fans. I think the general public overall might see it differently, but I don't put much faith in that either.

In order for a racial slur to be affective it has to come from the oppressor not from the oppressed. No white person is really offended by honky or cracker. They're like apology gifts from whites to blacks that aren't really worth anything.

• Like 3