DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I wish I had that kind of game time without having to use sick days.  Playtime will be sparse this weekend because it is my custody weekend.  I cannot play this game with my kid around lest she learns new words she really shouldn't be saying as a ten-year old.

Punching construction workers seems to be giving me Strength boosts, I just wish I could KO more than two of them before someone calls the cops.

Whenever I get a bounty on my head I just start up an invite only or solo session and wait out the game day with swimming, cycling, or working on stealth takedowns.  Now that I know that construction workers can take more than one punch before going down, I'll be doing that to stat grind my Strength while wating out bounties..

I've taken to creeping up on pedestrians and mugging them for small bits of cash via stealth takedowns and trying to level up in stealth, but it's slow going.  Fun as "knife to throat" or "Swat With Nightstick" animation is, I'm hoping there's a quicker way.  Good tip about the construction workers though.

• Like 1

Neil suggested that.  Great advice for GTA:O since there are no cows to attack to slug in the nose.  Construction Workers are pretty durable and can take four or five head punches before going down and sometimes their buddies will come help allowing you to knock their asses out as well.

I cannot KO more than three at a time before someone calls the law on me.

I also stalk pedestrians at night and use the Knife To The Jungular dealie to build up Stealth, but the kill animation is so disturbing.

I cannot believe that this game is set in California but you cannot build Strength by going to Muscle Beach and using the gym equipment or the free weights.  I should at least be allowed to build Strength and Stamina while swimming.

It is odd that you can't work out at Vespucci Beach, especially since when you switch to Franklin he will be doing exactly that.

If you are out in Sandy Shores, usually the skinny guys hanging out in front of the liquor stores can take a few punches before going down.  I assume they're supposed to be methed up.

Hey, jstout.  I keep getting invites to your missions but I never see your profile active on my Friends List or on the Crew List and I always encounter a server failure when trying to join your missions.

Wonder if it's got anything to do with how I seemingly lose crew affiliation occasionally - I used to wear a jacket with the crew "patch" on the back, and sometimes it would be a black square or a checkerboard pattern. My car's still the crew color, but it doesn't always default to it before races. I had to go into one of the submenus and "rejoin" the crew once. Dunno what could be causing the server failure.

I also have issues with logos sticking to my clothing.  I've noticed that the logo on my Yeti and Harsh Souls t-shirts sometimes vanish if I put on a hoodie or a jacket.

I also have seen myself go bald whenever I put on a mask that covers my entire head.  Then I have to go to Herr Cutts and pay to get my hairstyle back.

The mask glitch is pretty well known.  A version of it happens in single player, you won't be bald, but it will go back to the character's default hairstyle. 

I'm not sure about the server issue, but I've never been able to join one of my non-crew friends games.  I always get that server error.

FYI, cash sharing has been disabled because there are people exploiting the fact that you can dupe cars and sell them to Los Santos Customs for quick cash.  So there will probably be another patch coming soon.

FYI, cash sharing has been disabled because there are people exploiting the fact that you can dupe cars and sell them to Los Santos Customs for quick cash.  So there will probably be another patch coming soon.

I had a second Elegy appear in my garage somehow, complete with all the mods I'd put on the original. Damn right I sold that for $44K.

I need to get Cyberinsekt a mic.  He is too quiet.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'd already woken my wife once laughing at jstout's tractor adventure. Thought it prudent to keep shtum for a while. Was that you in the lobby I cleared out by playing Ride of the Valkyries at full distortion?

So I've been grinding hard and I finally was able to buy a Pegassi Vacca. Couldn't afford to mod it up, all I could get was the paint job for the moment.

http://rsg.ms/19VzwoE

Anyway as soon as I got it I asked my mate if he wanted to come along for a ride while I take it for a spin. Now, bearing in mind he's pretty much playing the part of a creepy stalker with a hair trigger temper, he probably wasn't the wisest choice of companion with my brand new $240,000 super car.

He says he needs to get some ammo so we stop off. I wait in the parking lot playing with the radio. He says to me "we should go...", I look over and he's knifed some poor woman in the neck and we now have a wanted level.

I get onto the freeway and this jag off cop steams into me nearly sending me over the barrier. Needless to say my buddy pulled out his SMG and sprays the cop with bullets from the passenger seat. This incurs a 3 star wanted level and a chopper on our asses.

So I'm saying "just keep cool, I'll get away" knowing that my new supercar will outrun them. He being a goddamn psychopath doesn't see it that way. So he shoots down the helicopter and we've got ourselves a 4-star wanted level. We've got more choppers, police cruisers and riot vans all over us. They've got road blocks and dudes making my shiny Vacca look like Swiss cheese.

Eventually I get near some train tracks and by this time the car is a piece of junk with bits hanging off it and the steering so messed up it doesn't turn right. I hide in a tunnel and lose the cops. We breathe a sigh of relief as BAM we're hit by a train. He's laughing his arse off while I'm thinking of the $10k insurance premium I won't be able to afford. Anyway, she made it back alive and will fight another day. Next time we take the Sandking.

• Like 3

Just had the best laugh ever. A guy had the Simeon import vehicle when I was in the area where those get delivered. I'm in an old 60's-style sedan, so I take that over and stick it in the driveway, blocking the entrance, and put a sticky bomb on it. When the guy with the target vehicle gets onto the island, I call Lester and disappear myself from the grid, crouching behind a concrete barrier while the guy brings the car around. The guy gets there, gets into the car to move it, and I blow it (and him) up.

Sadly I didn't get the cash, cuz the burning wreckage of the Sedan went back into the driveway, but still. Utterly hilarious.

I need to get Cyberinsekt a mic.  He is too quiet.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'd already woken my wife once laughing at jstout's tractor adventure. Thought it prudent to keep shtum for a while. Was that you in the lobby I cleared out by playing Ride of the Valkyries at full distortion?

You are fucking awesome dude! 

If you weren't on last night, you missed Dok breaking a WORLD RECORD in a race!  You must've been flying, bro!

I continue to suck at golf but not as bad.  Mark however scores a six under par.  I also lost at tennis but Mark knows that he was in a goddamned war.  I was not going to go out quietly.

Playing Mark has only improved my baseline ability.  Players online sure are bad sports.  They press when they win and they bail at the first sign of losing.  I was up four games to one in a one set match of Tennis and this guy just rage quit. I also had a whole party of four just up and quit when they were all one over par and I was even after the first two holes of a golf game. Wow.

I hope the Stimulus arrives soon.  I am counting on that cash to pay for my apartment and I just poured about $40K of mods into my Elegy RH8.  I still need to bankroll a new spoiler and some custom tires, so I am probably going to knock over a few stores this afternoon when I get home from work.

I am Rank 19 now, so I can do those gang encounters now after getting the phone call from Madrazzo.  I got an achievement for dropping 10 of those chumps and surviving the entire wave.

I was playing Golf with Cristobal and two other guys (one of whom had the worst luck in the world) last night, and Chris won, so someone put a $1000 bounty on him. Well, he was running off in a straight line so I had to take the $1000, really. Drove back to my $400,000 apartment and gave him half the money by way of an apology. Had a look at my stats and he's my archenemy now... probably because of that Tank Deathmatch we had the other day.

On the plus side, if I come on here to tell stories about that Idiot Ahmed, Gonzalez will know exactly who and what I'm talking about. He tried to steal my Fusilade once - I didn't figure it out until later, but he'd bought a cheap aprtment early on, and he was "Come look at my house, park your car in my garage, it will be safer that on the street". So I look in his house for a bit, and he's all "Look, here is the shower, look you can lie on the bad" and I'm wondering if he wants his character to shag my character or something (nb: Ahmed is probably 14 at the oldest, and although my character is female, y'know, I'm not). So then I go to leave, go down to the garage and my car's not in it, because he's driven it out. Seems wierd.

A week later, I've bought my apartment, and it says on the screen 'When you drive a car into your garage it is fitted with a tracker and becomes a personal vehicle'. Fucker was trying to make MY modded 100% acceleration Shyster Fusilade into HIS personal vehicle. Dick. He also blew it up later, but that's a different story.

I have a Patriot as well now. Figured I could fit armour and use it for missions that might involve vehicular combat. Saving up to turbocharge it and get it painted purple or yellow. Planning on spending my $timulu$ on a helicopter, just to see whether I've got a helipad at home, or it just rents me hangar space at the airport (which would make the bloody doors open for me).

Punching construction workers was the best idea ever.  Between that and guys quitting out of golf matches last night.  I have finally leveled up to two blocks of strength.

I will take a pic of my Elegy once I get new tires and the spoiler.  I will be in the mood for some motorcycle and sports car racing this afternoon.  I will get in some sports to keep up my fitness.  I may play Mark in a five-setter if he is online tonight.

One afternoon, I am going to start a solo unlimited challenge session at the gun range and just blaze targets until I max out my shooting skill.

I have piloted an aircraft with my GTAO guy for a grand total of like ten minutes or something. Learning to fly is going to be a pain in the ass.

My suggestion for increasing your flying skill would be to use the helicopter.  The skill is based on how long you are in the air, so you can basically hover and still increase it.  Once it goes up even one bar, I found the planes a lot easier to handle.  I can now usually do pretty decently in air races.

Land races are pretty much fucked now, at least in open races.  There are way too many people with maxed out cars which they got through modding/hacking to raise their levels up and exploiting the personal vehicle resell to get a ton of cash.  There was a guy in a race that had a level of 999.  There are also a frustrating number of retards who intentionally try to fuck up races by going the wrong way, blocking up traffic, etc.  I tried a few races last night and I ended up quitting all of them, which I never did before.

The servers seemed wonky to me, so I didn't really bother to play too much after that.  For instance, I was playing with Cristobal and my guy just all of a sudden went into the city map cloud view and hung there for a few minutes.  I did manage to squeak to level 18 - which raised my lung capacity for some reason.  I was buying some upgraded gear at Ammunation when I got booted because PSN lost its connection or whatever.  I hope that didn't mess with my save file at all.

I also had some R* Cloud issues yesterday.  For some reason my Lung Capacity deteriorated when my Strength boost kicked in, so I went for a swim and got it back up to snuff.

Whenever I start races, I usually try to race against guys my own level, because higher level dudes will always have cars modded to the moon.  That's no gurantee though because of the POV resell exploit or the recently patched $9K Mission Redo exploit.  Guys who glitch will always have tons of cash to throw into their vehicles.

I am going to start racing my Elegy since you get an achievement for winning five races in a customized vehicle.

I ended up playing darts yesterday vs someone who was level 105. Crazy.

I had an approach shot the other day land within 0 feet of the cup yet still had to putt for birdie.

I also pulled off my first legit lob vs JT in tennis.

I was playing Golf with Cristobal and two other guys (one of whom had the worst luck in the world) last night, and Chris won, so someone put a $1000 bounty on him. Well, he was running off in a straight line so I had to take the $1000, really. Drove back to my $400,000 apartment and gave him half the money by way of an apology. Had a look at my stats and he's my archenemy now... probably because of that Tank Deathmatch we had the other day.

I had the bounty earlier. I was in my apartment when the golf invite came. If you hadn't given me the 500 bucks, I'd have had my pound of flesh. 

I have a Patriot as well now. Figured I could fit armour and use it for missions that might involve vehicular combat. Saving up to turbocharge it and get it painted purple or yellow. Planning on spending my $timulu$ on a helicopter, just to see whether I've got a helipad at home, or it just rents me hangar space at the airport (which would make the bloody doors open for me).

And miss doing that jump off of the skip? That's half the fun of going to the airport.

I tried Googling this and couldn't find it, but can your gun get taken from you in online? I had an assalt rifle yesterday afternoon and it was gone last night and I had to buy it again. I didn't have to buy the extended clip and the supressor, just the assault rifle itself. Was that a glitch, or was I the victim of a robbery?

I don't get where people get all this money. If I weren't eventually getting reparations, I wouldn't be able to afford anything. I saw a real nifty convertible on the street and thought "this should bring me some money at the shop," so I stole it, drove it to the shop and discovered it was another player's car. Whoops. i tried to drive it back, but it stopped in the middle of the street and when I got out, I couldn't get back in.

I tried Googling this and couldn't find it, but can your gun get taken from you in online? I had an assalt rifle yesterday afternoon and it was gone last night and I had to buy it again. I didn't have to buy the extended clip and the supressor, just the assault rifle itself. Was that a glitch, or was I the victim of a robbery?

I don't get where people get all this money. If I weren't eventually getting reparations, I wouldn't be able to afford anything. I saw a real nifty convertible on the street and thought "this should bring me some money at the shop," so I stole it, drove it to the shop and discovered it was another player's car. Whoops. i tried to drive it back, but it stopped in the middle of the street and when I got out, I couldn't get back in.

Were you high enough level to use an assault rifle.  I have been able to keep and use guns that I wouldn't normally be able to, but IIRC weapons that you don't buy are confiscated when you are busted or wasted.

And the owner of that vehicle probably left and then logged back onto your server.  I have seen crew members log out of the game, but their characters remain behind as NPC's.  I carjacked Mark's character when he left the server and I was able to use his car.  Once he logged back on, the car stopped and I was forced out.  That was probably the Loss Prevention kicking in.  Unless you designate that Friends or Crew are permitted to use your car, no one can enter your car before you do.

Speaking of weapons, I sure would be grateful if R* patched the weapon drop schema again.  Everytime I try to discard my standard pistol so that I am only carrying my upgraded Combat Pistol, I revert back to carrying both guns after I leave and re-enter GTAO

Many of the people with a shit-ton of money have gotten it through cheating (hacking the save game file) or exploiting the fact that if you end the mission in a vehicle, you will have it when you go back to free roam and can sell it at Los Santos Customs.  If the vehicle has been modded, it can make it worth a lot of money, like $50-100K.

Also before the game was patched, you could replay missions after you completed them.  So there were people grinding jobs like VIolent Duct, where you could get $9000 in a couple of minutes.  Even without the replay option, some of the higher level jobs give out a lot of cash.

People will trade wins in races.  You can make about $7-8K for winning some of them for 2-3 minutes of work.

Survival mode is a good cash maker, at least if you have a group of people that know what they're doing.

For some quick petty cash, I rob stores.  From my garage in Sandy Shores, I have 3 stores that are close by, which nets around $4-6K, and it is easy to escape the cops just by driving to the desert and hiding or grabbing a helicopter from the airfield.

I guess the reason people were getting knocked off of PSN last night is because there is a new patch up.

It caps any hosiptal bills at $500 but now if you replay missions, you only get half of the original payout.

Also (this is unconfirmed) everyone in a mission has to be at the minimum level.  So if you're level 10 and you're trying to play a mission that is minimum level 25, even if you're invited to it, no dice.

I bought the assault weapon in the first place (it unlocked for me at whatever point it unlocks) so I guess I'm of high-enough level to have it.

I was all excited when I downloaded the patch, figuring I'd get some money to play around with and I could go APARTMENT HUNTING~!, but alas. Back to the grind.