DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  Of course, I tend to play the hell out of one game for long periods of time, and GTA5 is the only game I've bought in more than a year, so I'll probably stick with it for a while. 

At this point, I'm thinking heists are gonna be a big letdown.  People have been waiting for 8 months now, so anything less than the greatest gaming related thing ever will probably disappoint.

Yea at this point for online I'm still grinding out to get to level 120 to unlock everything and at that point i can't imagine wanting to play it anymore aside from crew sessions. 

Maybe at that point I'll take up more Kill All White Dots sessions, but at this point after I get sucked into them for a couple hours, all I can think of is how much RP I could have gotten by grinding out races instead for that whole time.

Pretty sure the burning heart tattoo is the last thing I'm gonna grind out, and I'm only one win away on that.  After that, I can't see myself playing much unless its with crew. 

Did do a mission with randoms for the first time in forever last night.  Extradition - with one guy that was level 90 something, and 3 really low level guys that clearly had no idea what they were doing.  Everybody just drove over to Zancudo, except the one guy that hopped into my car and got a ride over to Trevor's to pick up the jets.  I took out the plane and DA, level 90 guy picked up the package, and the rest of them did a lot of spectating.  At the least I'd say that answers the question about whether it's only hardcores playing at this point. 

I've been starting to think if we have any multiplayer games that would be nice for a change of pace. Ones I have are Red Dead and Tomb Raider. That's... Kinda it.

I've been meaning to say something similar. When the time eventually comes that we play this thing less, I hope we can group up on something else. I really enjoy playing with everyone.

Maybe we could create a thread and call it the Night Shift Shenanigans Thread or whatever.

And I have Red Dead for PS3, but I'd happily buy it for Xbox if people did decide to play it. I'll never get tired of that game.

Melraz and I spent many a night clearing out gang hideouts and doing zombie overruns. Then when we've had too many "2 beer", we finish out the night with poker.

Well, technically that's not the end because we inevitably spend 20 minutes trying to hit each other with throwing knives from 100 yards away. It's a shit show. Basically the old west equivalent of night crew hell raising.

• Like 2

The last time we did Extradition, I figured out that there's no reason for anyone to jump over into Fort Zancudo - all it does is cause you to get a four-star level that's impossible to shake. Three head to Trevor's, two to pick up the jets, one calls in Le Buzz-ard. People on the ground stay close and grab the case when needed. Piece of cake. The last time I did Extradition with randoms, I jumped on the headset for anyone listening and said "in case you're new at this, there are fighter jets at Trevor's airfield, I'm going there now, get in."

I love doing missions with y'all, 'cause we're like a well-oiled machine at this point. Do them with randoms and watch the wheels fall off the machine.

You know, what I'd really like to do are Team Deathmatches where it's us against randoms. I'd put a Deathmatch team of Robert, Dan and Melraz up against damn near anybody in the game. 

Public-room Freemode is completely counterproductive to goals in this game - it's hard to make money and easy to spend it - but it's so much fun if the right combination of people are around. I pretty much do not set foot in Freemode unless there's several crew members with me. One of my favorite Freemode experiences was just last week or so when we were absolutely lording over UFO square. I think there were five of us, at least, and anyone who entered that area where the UFOs were had to answer to us. I loved that guy who came through in the chopper and we all turned on him like a pack of wild dogs and took him out in about 5 seconds.

• Like 1

The last time we did Extradition, I figured out that there's no reason for anyone to jump over into Fort Zancudo - all it does is cause you to get a four-star level that's impossible to shake. Three head to Trevor's, two to pick up the jets, one calls in Le Buzz-ard. People on the ground stay close and grab the case when needed. Piece of cake. The last time I did Extradition with randoms, I jumped on the headset for anyone listening and said "in case you're new at this, there are fighter jets at Trevor's airfield, I'm going there now, get in."

I love doing missions with y'all, 'cause we're like a well-oiled machine at this point. Do them with randoms and watch the wheels fall off the machine.

You know, what I'd really like to do are Team Deathmatches where it's us against randoms. I'd put a Deathmatch team of Robert, Dan and Melraz up against damn near anybody in the game. 

Public-room Freemode is completely counterproductive to goals in this game - it's hard to make money and easy to spend it - but it's so much fun if the right combination of people are around. I pretty much do not set foot in Freemode unless there's several crew members with me. One of my favorite Freemode experiences was just last week or so when we were absolutely lording over UFO square. I think there were five of us, at least, and anyone who entered that area where the UFOs were had to answer to us. I loved that guy who came through in the chopper and we all turned on him like a pack of wild dogs and took him out in about 5 seconds.

The beauty of a team deathmatch with our entire group is we know each other's games. Robert and Melraz are well rounded killers, I excel at flanking quietly and causing chaos, many here excellent as Snipers, etc. tactical advantage of playing with people a lot.

Plus I think even weaker players like me would benefit from having several  threats out there at the same time - people get distracted by the threats breathing down their neck that they become easier to snipe by people they're not worrying about.

We constantly use this to our advantage in Freemode - the enemy will get obsessed with killing a particular one of us and not even be paying attention to the other guys around him lining up headshots with our sniper rifles.

Poor me and Stout with deathmatches.

I have the patience of a toddler so I'm constantly running and gunning. I try to be better about it so I'm not 90% of the reason we lose.

I need some classes at the J.T. School Of Tactical Combat.

It's why I'll never understand why I love the Hitman series so much. I start out choking a guy out to steal his uniform, walk calmly, get discovered anyway, get frustrated, and it's "screw this - EVERYBODY DIES."

• Like 1

Basically JT and I are at the point that we play ME3 unless there are a few folks on for GTA - otherwise it isn't worth the hassle (especially with the servers being all wonky)

Red Dead online with the crew sounds like it would be a freaking blast.  I haven't touched the game in forever, but it's one of the few I've actually held on to planning to go back and complete things like getting to a level 10 hunter (stupid having to hunt down beavers that I can never find).

Red Dead online with the crew sounds like it would be a freaking blast.  I haven't touched the game in forever, but it's one of the few I've actually held on to planning to go back and complete things like getting to a level 10 hunter (stupid having to hunt down beavers that I can never find).

Yeah, I'm in on this if my copy is still playable.

Is online for RDR still up?

It doesn't look promising

A quick google search showed that in March a hacker (Hey sound familiar!) totally FUBARed the online and it lasted like that for awhile.

Then in April - someone claimed it was working again 

And also - it was affected by the shutdown of the GameSpy servers

Rockstar is working to transition the online components of Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 and Max Payne 3 in response to GameSpy's server shutdown.

Core online gameplay will be saved for these titles, although the servers for older Rockstar games will be shut down when GameSpy ceases operating on 31st May.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is unaffected, Rockstar assured in a new FAQ post.

But some features in the company's other biggest games will be lost during the move.

Red Dead Redemption's online multiplayer will remain operational, but its Social Club stat tracking, leaderboards and in-game Social Club services will not survive the move. In-game multiplayer leaderboards will also be removed for the game's PlayStation 3 version.

Last night, I could start missions and things through my phone, but not through the pause menu. No playlists.

Also, a guy had a fighter jet and was flying it through walls and floors without dying.

Cristobal is Watchdogging lately, so the PS3 DVDR Crew is just me. Luckily, I'm awesome.

I need some classes at the J.T. School Of Tactical Combat.

Robert and Dan are much better than I am when it comes to Deathmatches.  I am very streaky.  Sometimes I rule and sometimes I completely fail.

As far as story mode goes, two more off-road races and that will complete all of the Hobbies & Pastimes bullshit.  I still need to find two more bridges to complete the Under The Bridge challenge; one of which I already know the location.

Second Stranger / Freak mission for Josh Bernstein is done.  I am dumb.

Finally, a mission where putting a flash suppressor on your gun really matters.  After two tries of trying to get away clean after my little act of arson it finally dawned on me.  PEOPLE CAN HEAR YOUR GUNSHOT WHEN YOU ARE IGNITING THE GASOLINE TRAIL, DUMBASS~!

Used silenced pistol to ignite the gasoline trail on the third try -> no one called the cops!  Yes!

Dan and I did manage to do a a mission and a race before things went completely to shit.  Also got to watch Dan have the most lopsided one on one DM win ever after some fool challenged him, and i got to watch all 5 of his kills through my sniper scope.

Logged on late and was able to get on for a few DMs.  Finally got my burning heart tattoo, so my never ending quest for normal mode DMs is done.

Robert, but ... but ... how am I supposed to laugh insanely at these horribly random deathmatches you auto-invite me to?

I try to do the same to you with races. God, I played this off-road one last night that just would not end. I knew it was 10 miles going in, and I never do those, but I thought "maybe this one will be fun." I thought wrong. Actually, it was fun for a while, but then just got stupid. Plus it was such a long race that the checkpoints were very spread out, and it makes it hard to tell where to go next. It literally needed to be half its length.

I used to try to be kind to people's created races - if they sucked, I'd just "no vote" them, because they obviously put a lot of time into creating the race. But I was feeling crabby after 12 minutes of my precious life wasted (heaven knows), so it got the Big Fresh Thumbs Down.

Robert, but ... but ... how am I supposed to laugh insanely at these horribly random deathmatches you auto-invite me to?

I try to do the same to you with races. God, I played this off-road one last night that just would not end. I knew it was 10 miles going in, and I never do those, but I thought "maybe this one will be fun." I thought wrong. Actually, it was fun for a while, but then just got stupid. Plus it was such a long race that the checkpoints were very spread out, and it makes it hard to tell where to go next. It literally needed to be half its length.

I used to try to be kind to people's created races - if they sucked, I'd just "no vote" them, because they obviously put a lot of time into creating the race. But I was feeling crabby after 12 minutes of my precious life wasted (heaven knows), so it got the Big Fresh Thumbs Down.

Oh there will still be some terrible ones, but now I can do terrible team DMs as well as terrible normal mode ones.

I tried to join a few things with you last night, but the game would never let me in, even to spectate.