DVDVR Message Board

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor (7/11/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

One of the best UFC shows of all time.

Like the new presentation for opening credits and the graphics though the ones saying the odds covered up the rest of the graphic saying where the fighter is from, MMA record etc. This the first show fighters have to either wear Black/White, White/Black or Black/Grey if you're the champion Reebok shorts? 

I watched the main event before the rest of the show. I was wondering if a couple of guys got murdered with shotguns on the undercard, or if they just borrowed the ring canvas from Ian Rotten.

Speaking of Lawler, a pretty big development coming out of this that no one is talking about is his boxing coach Matt Pena is stepping away after this last win. He has been with Lawler for the last ten years ever since he was still at MFS as well as his primary chief second. Not that there isn't good coaches actually employed at American Top Team, but that's a very underrated tandem being broken up in the middle of a title reign.

UFC 189 was also suppose to be the last cornerman appearance for Andre "Dede" Pederneiras. He would still be training people at Nova Uniao, but he wouldn't travel to the fights. I wonder if that is still valid or he plans to corner Aldo against McGregor and then be done with the travel. Anyway, that's another big absence in the corner although Jair Lourenco has pretty much succeeded him that role coming over from Nova Uniao Kimura.

I'm all aboard the Conor hype train. You've got the most charismatic athlete in combat sports & professional wrestling who fights in the most entertaining of fashion, will fight through injuries anybody above the boxcar division would pull out with, obliges all the ludicrous media days UFC throws at him, and is 27-years-old. I hope he smashes Aldo into oblivion at this stage and we never hear the end of it.

They did drills, but they didn't do it during live sparring after he suffered his injury.

But to say he didn't do it at all is a stretch, which is what the headlines are sensationalizing.

I don't if it is a stretch really, but what people write is something else.

Not doing wrestling doing sparring is a detriment to your training especially when you're fighting a wrestler on such short nortice.