DVDVR Message Board

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor (7/11/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Brown/Means delivered big time. Fight of vicious elbows. Matt Brown's ability to get rocked, recover, and fight back in a big way makes him an awesome watch but somebody who won't ever be a real threat for a title. 

• Like 1

My god the 1st and 3rd fights today have brought the violence. Just crazy, cringe-inducing, give-and-take wars both ending with absolutely brutal knees. We get all of the UFC main cards on free tv here but unfortunately no prelims so didn't get the chance to see the Brown/Means fight. The way this show is going though, they might squeeze a replay in at the end.

Despite my history of supporting Canadian fighters, I'm really hoping for a win for Robbie Lawler here.

That was a hell of a first championship match.  Feed. Me. More.  How many times has there been an entire PPV where not a single fight goes to decision?  I imagine that it has to be a very, very rare occurrence. 

That was a great fight. I was worried about MacDonald's headkicks from the beginning and thought the one that snuck through was the end for Lawler. Both guys showed amazing determination.

Rory MacDonald is a scary looking dude when his face is all busted up.

I feel for Rory. He was fighting a smart fight and was a few minutes away from winning the title but his nose/orbital gave out and he couldn't take another shot. Hopefully he rebounds well from this.

This card has kicked all the asses. Top, top drawer stuff.

And that was an ugly fight. I was surprised to see McGregor as the favourite coming in but I guess we saw why. I've been fairly isolated from the McGregor hype and wasn't really sold on him but that was a really solid win. He relies really heavily on his chin though which doesn't bode well for his longevity in the top tier.

I guess they aren't 12 to 6 elbows if you're doing them from the bottom, eh?

The ref is probably going to give the bottom man the benefit of the doubt since the guy on top is probably moving. If you lay your head on the stomach of your opponent and he comes down 12 to 6, that most likely will be called every time.

Shadow, you may as well retire from watching MMA because very few cards are topping this. Past or present. That or wait until Aldo/McGregor. You waited until the UFC had a massive overhaul in production. This card couldn't have played out any better.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Poor Thatch got obliterated in every part of the game.

Yeah, I was surprised he was the favorite considering he showed he lacked any ground game against Bendo who was much smaller than him and Gunner's primarily a grappler.

I remember when he got signed, people were hyping him up like crazy.

He really needs to work on his BJJ skills. He's shown he has the BJJ skills of a white belt.

Poor Thatch got obliterated in every part of the game.

Yeah, I was surprised he was the favorite considering he showed he lacked any ground game against Bendo who was much smaller than him and Gunner's primarily a grappler.

I remember when he got signed, people were hyping him up like crazy.

He really needs to work on his BJJ skills. He's shown he has the BJJ skills of a white belt.

On this one, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. That one-two from Gunnar had him all fucked up. He had to fight a great grappler while semi concussed. Very few people are going to be able to stop someone that good on the ground in that condition.

Also, Bendo ain't exactly Pete Spratt on the ground. They need to give Thatch a break for a bit on dudes who are proven submission grapplers when he is still so young in the game.

Guest Edwin

I wanted Chad to win. With a full training camp, he would've done much better and would've possibly even beaten Conor.

2 questions were answered today -- Conor can beat a top featherweight and Conor doesn't have great wrestling.

Also Conor doesn't have great BJJ of his back. If he fights a wrestler, he'll get out grappled for 25 minutes.