DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Thing is, the only phone on that list that doesn't have either a bigger screen or a higher resolution is the S5. A lot of them have both.

Edit: Maybe the Z3? I have no idea what the specs on that one are.

Z3 is 5.2 and 1080p. Battery is solid, I have seven Gmails - real estate - and a Bluetooth connected at all times and unless I go take pictures of apartments for hours it never leaves me hanging.

I'm positive I'll miss it when I upgrade in November, hopefully T-Mo gets the Z5 premium.

With it looking like the 64GB Nexus 5X (or whatever it will be called) will be $449 plus tax, I ordered a OnePlus One. I just couldn't see myself justifying what would end up being $175(!) more factoring in tax and shipping. Wish me luck. Any case recommendations? Seems like the TIDIA Slim Fit, TIDIA Ultra Slim, and Diztronic Full Matte are the best of the type I'm looking for but not sure which to get.

Looks like I'm finally fucking off to Verizon this weekend. Normally I'd be all about the S6 but no replaceable battery/expandable memory card is a bummer. Thoughts on the G4?

Not a bad phone. Great camera. Terrible Android skin (almost universally considered worse than Samsung's and HTC's). Performance is pretty good. Battery life is OK but not ideal. Display is good (not Samsung good, but good). Depending on what you're coming from, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Does anyone here have the Nexus 6? Thoughts?

I've had it since it came out on Verizon in March. I really like it. I came from the original 2013 Moto X. Size wise it's a monster of a phone, no doubt about it. It's definitely not great one handed. I'm a small guy (5'6) with I guess average sized hands, but the phone's size doesn't bother me much because I love the huge screen real estate. I definitely couldn't see myself going back to a 5" phone. The battery life is decent. I would say it's a step better than the S6 but also a step or two behinds the Droid Turbo type phones. The camera is fine in daylight (especially if you download one of the camera's that take advantage of Android's new camera processing software that still doesn't come built into the default camera) but less than ideal at night. Video's look wonderful because you can shoot them at 2160p. Performance is good since it's just stock Android and with a lot of the 2015 phones using the Snapdraggon 808 (vs. the N6's 805), it really doesn't feel dated. The screen is decent because of the high resolution but also not nearly as good as a Samsung or even the G4. Personally, I still favor the N6 over every phone on the market because it has stock Android, I fell in love with the size (but that's totally subjective) and everything else is decent enough on it. Of course it has a non-removable battery and non-expandable storage but that's never been an issue for me, might be for you.

The Note 5 is probably the only other phone I'd consider but I think I'd still favor the N6, at least until the next round of Nexus phones are unveiled at the end of the month.

I fucking ordered the god damn thing. I'm immensely stupid, but 400 bucks (64gb) for a $700 phone I've wanted since it was announced was too good to pass up.

Had to spend the extra 50, because I have 32 in my G3 and an extra 32 on my sd card, and I have used up over 40 gigs.

I'll miss the swappable battery, but quick charge should help a lot with that.

So, if I still got like, 20 months on my AT&T Next, how hard is it to tell them to fuck off and die and jump to Verizon?

Because I'm royally pissed that the tower down the street from me that I solely run on at home has been down for 5 days.

Well I knew that, I just wanted to figure out a way to avoid having to pay them $600 for both phones.

Nowadays with the "no contract" phone lease system I don't think there is. Back in the day if your coverage was bad enough you could get your contact cancelled and the ETF waived. You should be able to recoup most of what you pay by reselling your phones.

So, if I still got like, 20 months on my AT&T Next, how hard is it to tell them to fuck off and die and jump to Verizon?

Because I'm royally pissed that the tower down the street from me that I solely run on at home has been down for 5 days.

Call/go to Verizon, tell them your situation and see what they say. Sometimes the carriers will have deals where they buyout whatever's remaining on your deal.

In the "huh, that can't be good news" territory, Sony put the Z5 line up for pre-order three days ago. Today they removed the option to actually order them and reduced the listed price on all three pretty significantly.

For what it's worth, if you can find them, the AT&T GoPhone version of the Nokia Lumia 635 is being cleared out for $13 at Walmart in-store only. Got Best Buy to price match it over the phone. Pretty much the bare minimum of entry level smartphone that you'd want to have, but Windows Phone runs really well on lower end hardware and it's great to have as a backup phone, as a phone to get your (grand)parents, etc. It works with any MVNO that uses AT&T towers (Cricket, Straight Talk w/ AT&T SIM, H20, Redpocket, Good 2 Go, etc.) on top of working with GoPhone and regular AT&T. TMMV if with being able to unlock it for T-Mobile. I got one as a backup when it was $40 for Black Friday (it's $40 at Amazon now and is still worth it) and just got another one to give to my mom.

• Like 1