DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

My unlimited plan is one of the main reasons I never want to leave Sprint.

Sixty bucks a month, unlimited call, text and data. (Ignoring the other fifty bucks a month I'm paying for my phone and watch.)

Checked some reviews for the LG G4, and it doesn't sound like the phone I want to get.  If it was a couple years ago, sure.  But right now I'm still leaning towards the S6.  Of course, it's hard to to willfully pony up wads of cash for the phone, so I might have to wait regardless.  But unless there's plans to release a phone soon that matches or outperforms the S6 that's my choice.

So, Sprint is having a really nice deal on the LG G Pad F 7.0 tablet if you are already have a phone with them.

If you get it on easy pay, it's ten bucks a month for two years, but they'll give you a ten dollar "service credit" so the tablet is essentially free (minus sales tax) and if you get either the (basically worthless) ten dollar/100mb plan or the (semi-reasonable) fifteen dollar/1gb plan, they'll knock fifty percent off for six months.

So now I have a G Pad F. It's definitely a budget tablet, snapdragon 410, 1gb, only 8gb built in storage (expandable to 128 though) bit it's running lollipop with virtually the exact same UI as my G3, and since both of my two Fire tablets are Wi-Fi only, it's nice to have. Build quality seems pretty decent for the price (hard matte plastic back) and early indication is the battery is a god damn tank.

Loving it.  Battery does not seem to be an issue.   I was out all day Saturday and still got to post to instagram at 2:30am and call an Uber around 3, no recharge needed.   

Finally have a handle on how to hold it without unwarranted pushes.  Loving the space, loving how well it handles heavier games like Vice City and Does Not Commute.  

The edge is purely for show.  But many people I've talked to are very impressed by it when they get to hold it.

My biggest gripe is there's no "menu" button like there was on the S family before now. Where the menu button was is now "Recent Apps".  

Samsung finally dumped the vestigial menu button last year on a lot of devices.

If it works like LG's UX, holding down the recent apps button brings up the menu.

Anyone that is one AT&T or T-Mobile* (or any MVNO that uses those networks) and is in the market for a decent budget or mid-tier phone, the new ASUS ZenFone 2 looks damn interesting.

5.5 inch 1080 screen.  Comes in two versions, $199 gets you 16gb storage, 2gb ram, and a quadcore 1.8ghz intel processor.  $299 gets you 64gb of storage, 4gb RAM(!), and a quadcore 2.4ghz Intel ATOM processor.  Unlocked either way.

Early reviews are pretty positive (Camera appears to be solid but not great, performance is said to be good, it's all plastic.)  It's not as good as getting a topline $600-800 flagship phone, but price for specs it's about as good as you're going to find.

So, hey, just head's up.

*It only works on two out the three LTE bands T-Mobile uses, for whatever reason

Very similar, yeah.  Better specs (although that has a lot to do with being a year newer, I expect the OnePlus Two will be extremely close to this) and more widely available now (No invite system, it's on Amazon, Groupon, Newegg...), but clearly the same idea of selling a near-flagship quality phone at half the price (or a phone that sits on the upper end of mid-tier at a budget phone price.)

If I were on a network that it's compatible, I'd likely have bought one today.  Hell, even as a wi-fi only device, it's intriguing.

It's also about 50 bucks cheaper model to model compared to the OPO.  But I think these companies are likely the future of smartphones, in a lot of ways.  At least Android phones.

• 2 weeks later...

So in owning the Note 4, I think I've discovered that above anything else, the camera is most important, followed closely by the processing power of the phone. I really do think I like Android better than iOS too. Sometimes I need to fuck around with stuff more than I need to, but it's nice having those features, whereas with the iOS, it's so goddamn boring and bland. It's great that the iPhone just works, but I recently thought about re-selling my Note 4 to buy a 6 Plus, and I don't think I can do it. Both OSes are very intuitive, but Android has more functions that make more sense. Like on the iPhone, you swipe down from the top to quickly access notifications, which I rarely did. On Android, when you swipe down, you have access to adjusting your brightness, along with all of the notifications that may be important to you, and access to quick controls like Bluetooth and WiFi that you can customize. That just feels more natural, as opposed to the iPhone, where you need to swipe up from the bottom to control the brightness. 

Still, it's all about that camera. I find myself considering the LG G4 more and more. I nearly pre-ordered one today, but held off to avoid the stupid contract from Sprint. Of course, the Note 4 can be re-sold for around $450 to $480, so that makes up a big chunk of what it would cost to buy the G4 outright. However, for a new phone, I'm surprised that the processing power isn't as great as some other phones already on the market and the battery life isn't that great.

As for the S Pen, I've rarely used it. It was neat at first, but I hardly ever take it out. I feel like I should do that more. It does make me a little less resistant to re-selling the Note 4, but then I always think, "but what if I want to use the stylus and this new phone doesn't have it?" It's a weird hoarder-ish mentality. I have no idea why I think that way. I've used the S Pen maybe a handful of times, so clearly the value isn't there for me, and yet I cling onto it so much to just have that option.

If someone gets the G4 next week, I'm very curious to see what you think about it. 

In regards to the G4's processor not being amazing, you can blame Qualcomm. Last year's phones generally used the Snapdragon 801 or 805. This year's big new processor was supposed to be the Snapdragon 810 but Qualcomm made a bad chip that was really susceptible to overheating and had to super throttle the processor in order to prevent that from happening. So that's why Samsung went with their own Exynos processor for the S6 and LG went with the 808 (which no one even knew existed and is a pretty small improvement at best over the 805) for the G4.

I finally got the S6 and three days in it's pretty amazing.  Didn't think I'd be into the camera like I am, but man does it take awesome pictures.  I put some memory-intensive games on there and unlike the S4 they play worlds better on the S6.  The one thing I'll need to get used to is the lack of menu button as I've gotten used to it with some games/apps before.  And until I get a case it's semi-tricky playing games when the right hand at any moment can hit the multi-function button by mistake.  Other than that great phone.

For those interested apparently the Lollipop 5.1 update will support Raw format for cameras.  It will start rolling out in June (and with my luck be out in August knowing Verizon)

I can't stop watching Periscope.  I haven't felt this kind of thrill in awhile.  Like back when I was a kid and got a little shortwave band radio and could listen to stations in, like, Cincinnati and I was all amazed...or BBC or something.

Or the first time I realized I could chat with someone across the world back in like 1998.  It's been a long time and we're all so jaded to how connected we all are.  But jumping in and watching someone's little live stream of the line outside a theater in London or at a mall in Hong Kong...it's just a really neat feeling.

I'M YOUNG AGAIN AND THE WORLD IS NEW!!!

Periscope app suddenly turned depressing when it allowed me to eavesdrop on a bunch of unbelievably, preternaturally good-looking and energetic young actors sitting around at Gray Studios in L.A. waiting to go read a scene or something.  It's a kind of acting class/agent showcase thing you pay to go to and make connections or something.  They have them all over now, but it started in North Hollywood.  I'm sure there's dozens...hundreds of similar outfits around Socal.

It was astounding.  Every single one of these people was chiseled out of Aphrodite's frozen breath.  And there were so many of them.  Like shimmering beautiful moths.  If you ever thought you might want to be an actor...first take a look in the mirror.  If you're not a legit 35 an a scale of 1 to 10, forget it.

They were all so full of life and enthusiasm...and most of them were so dumb.  Like, you can't even imagine communicating with them...and god knows how much they're paying to sit in this little studio and hope that it's the right thing to be doing while literally 7000 other beings from the same weird highcheekboned race are doing the same thing in other little rooms all over L.A.

I can't take it.  This world is not meant to be seen.  I fear this periscope thing is going to become an ongoing trail of tears of doomed young Hollywood wannabes.  It's going to be like someone made a reality show out of REQUIEM FOR A DREAM and live streamed it in real time over months.

I'm fucking hooked aren't I.

• Like 1