DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

I can say that the IPv6 settings are disabled on everything.  It is indeed a ps3, nothing newer than that.  It really struggles badly when I switch apps or back out of them.  I've had a little more luck with it today and one thing I failed to notice is that I enabled uPnp in the router yesterday but when I checked it again today it hadn't saved as enabled.  I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. 

If this keeps failing, yeah, I'll just maybe try to get a replacement modem or get someone from Time Warner to check or something.  I'm kind of lost for what to do next but thanks for all the help.

New Moto X(s) also official. Looks like a bigger Moto X 2014. I'm a little disappointed by Moto's presser. The phone with the 1080p screen (not available in the US, btw) has a 3,630mah battery but the phone with the QHD screen has a 3,000mah battery. Makes no sense. Also, no optical image stabilization will hold back the camera even though it's 21 megapixels. I applaud them for going carrier free this time around but I'm not sure US customers are ready for that as a whole. Looks like I'll still be content with my Nexus 6 for a while. 

Anyone here have the G4? Taking a long hard look at it when I upgrade since I'm really unhappy with Samsung abandoning the SD slot with the S6.

The new Motorola Style (Pure as it's being called in the US) that was announced today has a micro SD slot. It's not available through any carrier but it's $399 off contract which isn't bad. I don't know if it'll be better than the G4 but I imagine it won't be any worse in any area except the camera is a wildcard.

A guy that works for me got it and he's always plugged into a charger. Battery life sucks. Also it feels cheap and plasticky and is also kind of thick.

Thick is good (to me anyway) but bad battery life is a problem. Have heard the G4's is actually good - maybe your guy has brightness at 100% and some battery-draining nonsense in the background. Or defective battery.

Read a roundup a couple weeks ago and they pegged the G4 as being right on par with an iPhone 6, both slightly trailing the S6, overall.

I'm currently upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. After the upgrade completes, I want to do a factory reset (I heard this was built into Windows 8) so that Windows 10 will install clean.

Here's my question/situation: I currently have a solid state drive (C drive) which is largely just the operating system and some programs. All my pictures and music are stored on a traditional hard drive (D drive). If I do the factory reset, does it give me the option to only wipe the SSD/C drive or will it automatically wipe that and the traditional hard drive/D drive?

Anyone here have the G4? Taking a long hard look at it when I upgrade since I'm really unhappy with Samsung abandoning the SD slot with the S6.

The new Motorola Style (Pure as it's being called in the US) that was announced today has a micro SD slot. It's not available through any carrier but it's $399 off contract which isn't bad. I don't know if it'll be better than the G4 but I imagine it won't be any worse in any area except the camera is a wildcard.

In the top tier off contract category, this seems to have the edge in features over the OP2.

I'm still enjoying my one so I might hold out and see what the next nexus brings.

I'm curious if Google goes with two Nexus this time around. I've read about the rumors of a 5.2" LG Nexus and then a bigger Huawei Nexus, but we'll see. I've mostly read about the Huawei one so I feel like that's a lock.

*EDIT*

On a different note, I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. That went fine until I decided I wanted to do a clean install. Apparently the way Microsoft keeps track of your product key is through your Microsoft account. So if you don't sign into it after you upgrade to Windows 10 and then decide to do a clean install, you're screwed. Microsoft doesn't show you your product key, or at least not the right one (the one it showed on my upgrade started with a 0 and was very different than traditional MS keys), so if you do a clean install they have no way of detecting whether or not you have a valid copy of Windows. So now I have to downgrade from 10 to Windows 7 (which my laptop doesn't have a disc drive so yay!), upgrade from 7 to 10, make sure I sign in to Microsoft, and then I can do the clean install. Tremendous.

I just bought a new laptop yesterday, a Dell Inspiron 15. Holy shit, the trackpad. It's so goddamn finicky, but in reviews I've read, it never gets brought up. Have people just stopped caring about the trackpad quality, or do I just need to update the firmware or something?

I would say download the driver from Dell's website (see if they have drivers for your exact model), uninstall the current touchpad driver and install whatever they recommend instead. When I did the clean install for Windows 10, it uses a different Synaptics touchpad driver than the one I was using prior which was specifically from my manufacturer's website and the trackpad was definitely worse. As soon as I uninstalled the driver that came with it and manually installed the one from my manufacturer, it started working much better.

Still trying to get Windows 10 on my Windows tablet.  It's not a Surface tablet but has Windows (brand is called Unbranded)  While trying to install it I'm starting to wonder if it's a good idea to bother right now.  From what I understand there's a fair amount of bugs and some new features seem a bit weird (like paying $10/year to play fucking solitaire ad-free)  Might be better off waiting a couple weeks.

Win10 is so much smoother for me than 8.1 was. I would have the memory issues with Chrome on 8.1 that are completely gone with 10. Edge is kinda useless, though. Can't import my passwords and doesn't work with any extensions yet.

Also dismayed that Cortana doesn't sound like Cortana.

After finally getting the Windows 10 upgrade/clean install process down pat, I'm enjoying the new OS. I went from 7 to 10 and had limited experience with 8/8.1, mostly through work, so I can't really comment about it compared to that, but I think this is a good successor to Windows 7.

The fucking S6 Edge Plus has me really really wishing I could find a way to upgrade my phone a year early. That beautiful phone now without having to drop half a inch of screen size. (In fact I would gain .2"!)

Basically the updates you expected for the Note 5, but the device itself is way prettier than the Galaxy S6 offerings.

• Wireless charging
  • Improved camera
  • Live stream to YouTube
  • Samsung Pay
  • No expandable memory
  • Sealed battery
  • A smaller battery (WTF?!?)
  • Improved S Pen functionality so you can just start using the S Pen with the screen off

The smaller battery is baffling. I don't even get a full day's use out of my Note 4, but I'm constantly using it when listening to podcasts, Spotify, browsing the internet, and watching YouTube. I find I use it more than my laptop at times. So maybe for someone like me, I shouldn't get a full day's use out of it, but the Note 5 having less battery capacity is going to make that even worse.

I also hate removing the ability to expand the phone's memory storage. My Note 4 is 32 gb. If I didn't have a 64 gb sd card in it, the photos, videos and music I have on the phone would have blown through my memory storage considering how big app sizes are now.