DVDVR Message Board

Free Comic Book Day 2015

The Natural

Attended my first one last year with the opening of a new comic book shop where I live. I'll be going this weekend:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

Will you be going and what books will you pick up? I haven't made my mind up about the books I'll be picking. I do think there's a better selection this year compared to the last one. What's with Gold and Silver Books? Don't remember them last year.

I am going to be out of my current town, which has 2 decent shops to the uncharted waters of Roanoke and Blacksburg, VA.  Mainly just looking to get

Maybe the FCBD Heroclix for this year.

i check it out every year and use it as an excuse to get friends together. i invite them to the comic shop, host a little party at my place where i provide my comics for people to read, watch some super hero cartoons and stuff, and just kinda do what i can to show people my love for the medium. 

had a pretty good turnout last year, hoping for something similar this one.

• Like 1

Usually attend every year, been a real joy since my daughter got into comic books, super heroes, and Pokemon. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to attend this year. Soccer game early in the morning, and then the annual Cinco de Mayo fest the rest of the day.

Oddly enough, the girlfriend and I have been out of town  2 out of the last 3 FCBD (this yer's included).  I use it as a time to check out new comic shops in the areas.  I found Parts Unknown in Greensboro , NC two years ago.  I love that store.

Gotta have both the Marvel books and the Valiant special. Beyond that, I don't really know what I'll snag, but Austin Books and Comics always puts out a ton of non-FCBD stuff for free, like $1 #1 reprints and anything else they need to get rid of.  Also need to pick up a classic Flash and/or GA TPB for a friend who's gotten really into the CW shows and is looking for a jumping-on point.

Gotta have both the Marvel books and the Valiant special. Beyond that, I don't really know what I'll snag, but Austin Books and Comics always puts out a ton of non-FCBD stuff for free, like $1 #1 reprints and anything else they need to get rid of. Also need to pick up a classic Flash and/or GA TPB for a friend who's gotten really into the CW shows and is looking for a jumping-on point.

The Grell stuff is three or four trades deep now but honestly? If he likes the show I'd recommend Jeff Lemire's run.

Reminder: fcbd is not free for retailers, so buy something when you visit this weekend.

That's actually my priority, rather than picking up a free 15 page book. Last time I went, I got a signed Hopeless Savages omnibus, the first Hark, A Vagrant book, and a signed print of this:

DChauntedArtistAbe-580x375.jpg

Well, sure, if you think the "point" of FCBD is to "get people into stores" or "raise awareness of the medium" or some other bullshit.

Additionally, it's worth mentioning that Clevinger and Wenger only put the first 5 pages up on their site. The full story is a Comixology exclusive until they wrap up the webcomic version of Knights of the Golden Circle, to drive traffic to Comixology's FCBD page.

picked up a few books today (besides the free ones):

SHIELD #1 (based on the tv show Agents of SHIELD). what a mess. they should have called this "Phil Coulson" since it was only about him. the rest of the team barely appears, and the issue is so littered with superheroes that play no part whatsoever. please don't check this one out.

Multiversity: Pax Americana. read this online when it came out. loved it. will read it again when i have time to sit down and really dive in to the details. should probably get around to reading the rest of Multiversity too, but haven't made it that far yet.

the A-Team #1-3 (Marvel, 1983). i'm a big Mr. T fan. these comics were extremely simplified versions of the tv show. #1 is definitely the best. spoiler alert: BA Baracus gets into a bar fight for drinking a glass of milk. it was awesome. it also shows somebody watching a movie, and based on the quote balloon, they are watching Rocky 3. awesome.

Every issue is Colson and someone, with some of the Zshield characters (i guess, i dont watch the show). There is a running sub-plot, so its a lot like when waid wrote Brave and the Bold.

As far as I'm aware SHIELD is supposed to be one-shot stories focused on only one or two characters. This was said when it was announced.

it was an impulse purchase, i really had no interest in following the title, but thought if it tied in decently with the show it could be a fun read.

that being said, it wasn't a fun read just because so much stuff happened. like, there were two big threats introduced and eliminated over the course of the issue, so neither one feels like a big deal because you have no sense of scope. it just felt really slapped together and like a waste of time.

also, the art wasn't good at all. when you can't differentiate between Coulson and Fitz in a shot of the SHIELD group, there's something terribly wrong.

FCBD went pretty well for .  Got all the "free" books I wanted and bought the Southern Bastards trade as well as a ton of comics from various $1 boxes.  I was glad to get the Miracleman #15 from Marvel.  I can see why that in the original iteration was quite a shocker for the times.