DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I feel like that film is a victim of it's own trailer.  Ancient terrors in the woods is always a cool concept to me and it looks like they found some great shooting locations; but that trailer makes it feel super generic.. 

On February 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, WHAT? They actually made a miniseries out of that and I don't even remember it?! Then again, I don't think I even had cable in 2006. 

"Battleground" is a cool story and I'm glad they pulled it out of Night Shift for an airing. "The End of the Whole Mess" sounds pretty interesting too; I forgot all about that story. The only ones I strongly remember from the collection are "The Moving Finger" and "Home Delivery" (which would make a great short film, especially given the popularity of The Walking Dead and zombies in general). 

EDIT: Apparently "Home Delivery" was optioned in 2009 and had a screenplay written for it

Yeah a couple of the episodes were actually pretty good. Here's the episode list:

Battleground (starred William Hurt)

Crouch End (starred Claire Forlani)

Umney's Last Case (starred William H. Macy)

The End Of The Whole Mess (starred Ron Livingston)

The Road Virus Heads North (starred Tom Berenger)

The Fifth Quarter (starred Jeremy Sisto)

Autopsy Room 4 (starred Richard Thomas)

You Know They Got A Hell Of A Band (starred Steven Weber)

Battleground is the best of the bunch, but I don't recall any of them being outright terrible. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Prepare to lose your shit. 

A couple of my friends have talked about this and they have both offered the same advice.  "Just watch it."

So obviously I need to check this out while knowing as little in advance as possible about what's going on..

Yeah, been amped up for that ever since seeing the original proof of concept trailer for crowd funding. There is no way I won't like it. The trailers have convinced me of that much. Even if they save most of the carnage for the ending, what monstrosities we do get look to be glorious. That new trailer seems to reveal a few things not seen in previous trailers. I'd rather go in cold but we still got another month before its VOD release date.

I still can't remember whether somebody posted about it earlier in this thread or it was pimped on Daily Grindhouse but I swear I heard about it somewhere before my friend Lauren posted about it on Facebook reminding me. Is this gonna get an extended theatrical release? Apparently it's playing in Philly and she's going this weekend.

Those of you looking for the next creepy epic from Wham City Comedy (This House Has People In It, Unedited Footage Of A Bear) will have to change the channel from Comedy Network / Adult Swim.

WCC has recently wrapped up a new series of collected short on IFC entitled Children Of The Mirror (or just Mirror); a dark comedy satirizing cult activity.

Here is the complete playlist of all episodes from IFC's YouTube channel.

Here is the complimentary "what the fuck is going on?" video from our buddy, Nick Nocturne, at Night Mind.

Spoiler

I've never read The Hounds of Tindalos, but I got the Lovecraft reference anyway. 

There is a short story by Ken Asamatsu in the Cthulu's Reign anthology entitled Spherical Trigonometry where the last three humans alive (two men and a woman) on earth live in a capsule shaped bunker buried in the earth because C'thulu has the power to phase into any enclosed space that has a corner.

The twist ending?  The woman falls in love with one of the men and the other gets jealous and this allows C'thulu to enter their bunker and consume their souls.

They have formed a love triangle.

On 1/13/2017 at 8:56 AM, J.T. said:

Alice Lowe pulls triple duty (writing, directing, acting) in Prevenge.

Your eyes and ears do not deceive you.  This movie is about a pregnant woman who is a psychotic spree killer guided by the voice of her unborn child.

Well, Prevenge should've debuted at SXSW last night so it shouldn't be too long before it gets a US release.

Just watched a short called ELKO.  It was made by a guy named Alexander Yan who I don't think has gone on to anything larger than a few other shorts.

I don't know if it's horror, but I found it deeply affecting and disturbing.  Yan uses all the little trendy tricks but mixes them up in a way and isn't using them for the gimmick of it, but in order to make a realistic portrayal of two young people utterly lost in a fragmented and disturbing modern media world. The use of things like instagram-looking photos and iphone shots sprinkled here and there invites you to wonder at motivations...are they shallowly emulating images of violence they see as deep and profound online?  Or is that just incidental?  Maybe they are a window onto their states of mind maybe not.

It all lends a realistic emptiness and ratchets up how disturbing the images are.  The shots that employ "found footage" type angels and movement don't even really make narrative sense but the familiar rhetoric of them clicks in and has an effect.  And then occasional shots of real "cinematic" shooting makes you feel like suddenly you are seeing objectively something of them from outside their minds.

All in all a very tense and disturbing little film made with a kind of conceptual polish that is impressive and powerful.

Here it is if you have 13 minutes to spare.

• Like 1

Two horror movies come out this weekend:

The Belko Experiment (wide):

and The Devil's Candy (limited):

Naturally the one getting the better reviews isn't playing anywhere close to my house.

Note that The Devil's Candy is written and directed by Sean Byrne, who previously directed The Loved Ones, which was a big hit when I picked it for Halloween Havoc a couple years back.  But Devil's Candy isn't playing anywhere near me, either.

I saw Belko Experiment last September at TIFF and can confirm what the reviews are saying - it's skippable.

• Like 1