DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

I don't like the knocks on Okafor's defense. I mean, I understand it, but at the same time he's only 19. At 6-11, 270 with a 7-5 wingspan, he's got all the tools athletically and size-wise to be a very good defender, he just hasn't done it yet for whatever reason. I'm guessing desire more than anything.

Sure, but as much as people say things like "you can't teach height/speed/wingspan", you also really can't teach desire. There aren't too many guys who show complete disinterest on defense in college that suddenly go "You know now that I'm being paid millions of dollars, it's time I try hard and play good defense". I'm not saying it never happens, and I'm not saying Okafor won't put it together. I am saying that the odds are not in his favor. 

I don't expect him to ever be an elite defender, but I think there's a difference between a lack of desire on one end of the floor, and a lack of desire in general. Most of the players you're referring to just don't have "it" on either end of the floor to ever realize their potential. Okafor clearly does, but it's been focused on offense, which is why he's so gifted offensively. If he even devotes half that time to defense, you've got a pretty solid defender, which is all you really need him to be.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/legendary-sixers-stat-man-harvey-pollack-dies-at-age-93/

It's a really sad day for the NBA; Harvey Pollack, statistician of the 76ers, passed away at 93. He was employed by the NBA since the league began in 1946 and notably kept the records of Wilt's 1962 season and 100 point game, writing 100 on a sheet of paper and giving it to him for that historic photo. As basketball fans we all owe him a debt of gratitude for his record keeping and innovation in regards to advanced stats, we've all lost a tremendous amount of history today.

• Like 1

Dario Saric has informed the Sixers he will be staying in Turkey this year. I think this season is the last he would have had to be bought out to play in the NBA, so it probably makes some financial sense for the Sixers not to care that much. Although it's got to be frustrating for Sixers fans to start another season without either of their first round picks from last year playing a minute of NBA basketball thus far.  

No he would have to be bought out next year too. Just the price would be substantially lower. Had the done it this year he would essentially be playing free for a year. He might not come over next year. Since waiting one more year will give him the option of avoiding the rookie scale similar to Mirotic this year with the Bulls. Both Hinkie and Saric said he would be here after 2 years when drafted. So nothing has changed just yet. Hopefully it is true that they at least tried. Not sure though could just be PR. Saric staying a 3rd year would be going against what he said before and after the draft but the difference in money has the potential to be substantial. For now viewing him as anything more than a trade piece would probably be a mistake. You can say that about everyone here though until the star to build around emerges. He's improved this year though which is encouraging. Developing a better 3 point shot.

I don't expect him to ever be an elite defender, but I think there's a difference between a lack of desire on one end of the floor, and a lack of desire in general. Most of the players you're referring to just don't have "it" on either end of the floor to ever realize their potential. Okafor clearly does, but it's been focused on offense, which is why he's so gifted offensively. If he even devotes half that time to defense, you've got a pretty solid defender, which is all you really need him to be.

It is a lack of effort on that end normally which is alarming. Per 40 numbers for college centers are usually pretty reliable for projecting centers on the next level. The fact that Okafor's defensive impact was similar to Kevin Love playing center at UCLA is worrisome. Doesn't mean he can't improve. Just combined with lack of effort it is a cause for concern. His offense game is strong enough to warrant the risk.

nglmd.jpg

AK47 would have had so much better of a career if he'd been five years younger. With the way the game is played now, his Swiss army knife style would make him one of the most valuable non-superstar players in the league.

I didn't think anyone would make new uniforms worse than the Clippers' but Atlanta proved me wrong.

It's like we're in the mid-to-late '90s again. Why can't more teams take their cue from the Bucks (said somebody for the first time in about 40 years)? 

As a fan of basketball I would love to see Cousins go to the Clippers to replace Jordan. They have everything I think he needs to maximize his value. A talented point guard that won't be afraid to not pass him the ball. Effective way to fix the terrible shot selection. Not giving him the ball when in position to chuck up a bad shot. That would also cut back on his absurd turnover total. 2nd most turnovers in the league and only one in the bottom 15 that isn't a point guard; well James as well but he basically is a point guard most of the team. Cousins is a good passer. Opponents would face a pick your poison choice when the ball is in his hands down low. Bring help and he'll find the open guy. Don't bring help and he will physically overpower most defenders. Be nice if someone could convince Jordan to go to Sacramento in a sign and trade. We wouldn't have to worry about him stinking up the playoffs with his free throw shooting again. Not for a while anyway. The Kings are out of their minds though if they side with a 64 year old coach with a desperate win now mentality. Cavs going that route to get James to agree to join made sense. For Karl though, I don't know, that's just odd.

Not sure how excited Love would be in Boston selling him joining that big three w/ Robin Lopez and Paul Pierce. I do like Boston's depth and their coach. That's what they should sell him on. That and the team is in the East.

Should be interesting to see where he ends up since I assume the Cavs will still have some interest and then you got Boston, LA, Phoenix, NY, maybe Portland and the Texas teams always getting involved on everyone.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 46s47 seconds ago

Sources: If Kevin Love goes forward with visits in July, expect Boston to sell him on Kelly Olynyk being his personal slave,  to do with as he sees fit.

FTFY. 

I still think Love comes back to Cleveland. Opting out and signing a shorter max this year with Cleveland is how he best maximizes career earnings. I'm sure that we are going to get blasted with scorching hot takes for the next couple weeks though. So that'll be miserable. 

Edit: I guess it's worth noting that at the time of the Wiggins trade, Woj reported that Love and the Cavs had agreed that he would opt out and sign the five year max with Cleveland. I know a lot can change in a year, but I no one has actually given a reason other than "Body Language~!" for why Love wouldn't re-sign for the most money with the best team that has the best player and the best chance to win a championship.

• Like 2

Any word on if James will opt out too? The both of them doing that could allow them to go after a player. Possibly a high priced one in a sign in trade thanks to that 10 million dollar non-guaranteed Haywood deal. They for sure have Love's bird rights. I think James is eligible for the non-Bird exception. Seems like it could work if Gilbert is willing to pay.

Doesn't work that way anymore, because if cap holds until they either re-sign the guy, he signs elsewhere, or they renounce him (which I think means they can't re-sign him at all, and definitely emulated Bird Rights.)

• Like 1

Any word on if James will opt out too? The both of them doing that could allow them to go after a player. Possibly a high priced one in a sign in trade thanks to that 10 million dollar non-guaranteed Haywood deal. They for sure have Love's bird rights. I think James is eligible for the non-Bird exception. Seems like it could work if Gilbert is willing to pay.

David Griffin has said that he expects both James and Love to opt out and sign new deals. 

The latest rumor in Cavs land is that the Haywood contract would be trade to Sacramento for Rudy Gay, so that Sacramento could sign Rajon Rondo. Like, that can't possibly be real, right? I mean.......not even a chance, right?  

David Griffin has said that he expects both James and Love to opt out and sign new deals. 

The latest rumor in Cavs land is that the Haywood contract would be trade to Sacramento for Rudy Gay, so that Sacramento could sign Rajon Rondo. Like, that can't possibly be real, right? I mean.......not even a chance, right?  

It is Sacramento. Can't rule anything out. I'd be surprised if Love left but I think Jrag is right that the comedy value would be high if it happened. Woj put out there that Cleveland is still the front runners. I was expecting to hear Wade is the target.

Doesn't work that way anymore, because if cap holds until they either re-sign the guy, he signs elsewhere, or they renounce him (which I think means they can't re-sign him at all, and definitely emulated Bird Rights.)

Cool so that should basically limit them to a deal using Haywood, Miller and Harris. That is still a good amount of money. Should be interesting.

On a couple of the Cavs sites they have said it's almost impossible to get the math to work for a Wade deal. It would have to be Wade for Haywood and Delly or Wade for Haywood and both signed draft picks from this year. 

The funniest thing would be if he went back to Minnesota. Where he could actually fit now since Towns has the perquisite defense needed to play next to him. They were 40-42 with him as the top dog in 2013-2014. Which isn't too shabby for a Western Conference team.