DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Carmody also replaced Carrill at Princeton. He was the coach when they had that AWESOME Top 10 team that lost to Mateen Cleaves and Michigan State. But second round loss aside, that Princeton team he coached was an absolute joy to watch.  He might be able to get Holy Cross going in a non-scholarship league.

It's actually not a non-scholarship league anymore

When my alma mater - American - joined from the CAA - the league started allowing teams to hand out basketball scholarships (since AU already had guys on scholarship)

Now most of the schools only hand out basketball scholarships so it does hold true in some other sports.

Jim Boeheim is still an absolute prick and a world class asshole. Even for a college coach he's something else. This press conference is an amazing display.

Dick Vitale's spin job supporting his golf buddy is absolutely revolting.

Jim Boeheim is still an absolute prick and a world class asshole. Even for a college coach he's something else. This press conference is an amazing display.

Dick Vitale's spin job supporting his golf buddy is absolutely revolting.

Completely but it wasn't surprising. All the ESPN CBB cronies seemed to come out of the woodwork today to defend him, Jay Williams said how he owned up to it taking full blame and how classy he was. It's amazing, the sycophantism was on full display today on the ESPN Family of Networks.

Fuck Jim Boeheim.

Except when you factor in that in brings him back into the NYC/Jersey area

I mean Bob Sr. is STILL coaching at St. Anthony's

Danny's at URI, also in the A-10. Would the brothers Hurley want to compete against each other in the same conference?

there's Seton Hall!

*checks*

Seton Hall's coach is under contract until 2020? what the fuck? seriously? does Kevin Willard's dad run the athletic department?

Seton Hall was a DePaul level auto-fade in February/March. They lost 9 of 10. They had a player suspended for elbowing a guy during a blowout loss. They lost by 13 on their Senior Night after leading by 8 at halftime. Holy shit, did they give their coach a blank contract and ask him to fill out the details?

Hurley could probably take the Seton Hall job and publicly expose himself during games as long as he could manage a .333 WP% in conference.

there's Seton Hall!

*checks*

Seton Hall's coach is under contract until 2020? what the fuck? seriously? does Kevin Willard's dad run the athletic department?

Seton Hall was a DePaul level auto-fade in February/March. They lost 9 of 10. They had a player suspended for elbowing a guy during a blowout loss. They lost by 13 on their Senior Night after leading by 8 at halftime. Holy shit, did they give their coach a blank contract and ask him to fill out the details?

Hurley could probably take the Seton Hall job and publicly expose himself during games as long as he could manage a .333 WP% in conference.

You also left out how their starting shooting guard quit the team and left the school immediately following a game. Seton Hall had a truly insane season.

Willard's really good friend runs the athletic department, supposedly. But he's in trouble.

Supposedly, the story goes like this.

Seton Hall had a really highly rated freshman class this year. The main catch was PG Isaiah Whitehead, the latest in a long line of players from Lincoln High School in Coney Island. (The Marburys are from there.) Whitehead also came in with a bunch of his AAU friends who were also Top 100-level recruits. And with him came Lincoln's head coach, who is Willard's assistant.

Willard may or may not have been the one to make that hire. It could have been brokered by a prominent booster or the like. (And The Hall certainly has those.)

Whitehead came in thinking he was a one-and-done type of talent. (He's not.) The rumor is that the freshmen really didn't care one bit about the rest of the team and just did whatever they wanted and are also rumored to have a decent sized entourage. They listened to their guy and just fluffed off Willard. And the upper-class didn't like these young freshmen acting this way, and there may have been a fight involving the team in the locker room and/or a party, and someone in the entourage may have made threatening remarks and etc.

The kid who threw that elbow is one of the upperclassmen. People swear he's a really nice kid but just acted like a crazy person with this entire mess behind him.

(I read a lot of college basketball message boards and the like.)

Danny's at URI, also in the A-10. Would the brothers Hurley want to compete against each other in the same conference?

Well, considering the job that Danny's done bringing URI back to respectability- and how Rutgers tried to get him even during the years URI was in the dregs at the A-10, there's the chance of "he might be a hot coach for a bigger school as well and Bobby knows something we don't..."

...please? Please say I'm just reading into things...

...come on, I finally root for a school that has a chance with all the VCU fans here...please say URI can keep having a good team again...

Also, Ty Corbin has emerged as the potential next DePaul coach (who will be fired in year four of his five-year contract).

I don't know how he recruits, but the way he coaches, it ought to be a year and a half in. . . 

Jobwatch!:

• Bradley fired their Head Coach.
  • Ben Howland to Mississippi State or DePaul? Obligatory mentions of SFA HC Underwood, UAB HC Haase, Valpo HC Bryce Drew (does Homer have any other kids?), or MTSU HC Kermit Davis to Mississippi State
  • Indiana assistant (former Wyoming coach) Steve McClain to Illinois-Chicago.
  • Kentucky special assistant (former UTEP/Auburn coach) Tony Barbee to Nevada?
  • Utah assistant Tommy Connor (or Barbee) to Utah State?
  • Murray State HC Steve Prohm to Alabama?

• Ben Howland to Mississippi State or DePaul? Obligatory mentions of SFA HC Underwood, UAB HC Haase, Valpo HC Bryce Drew (does Homer have any other kids?), or MTSU HC Kermit Davis to Mississippi State

That's what Scott gets for leaving the state to coach

Supposedly Bradley is going after Mike Davis (Texas Southern, ex-Indiana). That could be fun.

HoopDirt mentioned Dane Fife (Michigan State assistant, former IP-Ft Wayne coach, former Indiana player).

But considering that the Bradley AD is a former Indiana player, any aspiring coach that has Indiana roots is in play.

Alabama is going to make a big money run at Gregg Marshall once the NCAAs are over.  It's really, really hard for me to see him taking the job there, no matter what the offer is.  

It probably won't happen now that it's leaked and WSU is still in the tournament (meaning there's too much dead time where they can't really negotiate, meanwhile the Koch brothers, et al are free to get in his ear), but he's very interested and it's a very big offer. Word is they're willing to double his salary and go as high as $4 million a year, which would put him him around the top 5 coaches in terms of pure salary.

I was getting a good laugh at the media listing dudes like Steve Prohm as a legit candidate. If Prohm gets the job, things have gone very badly. If Marshall turns them down, they are looking at Shaka Smart (also very interested) and Mark Few (unclear how much interest there is).

I like what the new mid-major power coaches are doing. Shaka Smart turned down friggin' UCLA to stay at VCU. Why not? He has a nationally branded program, is in a conference that has in the past gotten just as many and if not more bids than the Pac-10, sells out every game. They'll be a tournament team pretty much every season he's there and always a threat to make a huge run. Also, his wife has a plum teaching job, too. Why change all of that?

Gregg Marshall would be wise to do the same. He brought Wichita State to a Final Four, a number one seed, and is now looking for more. He has a job for life. He might make more at Alabama but what's the best possible outcome? Something like Tennessee was under Bruce Pearl? 

Of course, Brad Stevens bolted when the Celtics came calling but that's a friggin' NBA job. Don't turn that down.