DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan in NYC

All the Big Sky Conference games are at Montana's gym. Montana was the number one seed. I don't know if the site was pre-determined at the start of the year or not. But if so, that's a fair system. The travel in that conference is completely insane. But the number one seed hosting the entire thing gives them a decent advantage.

The Big Sky regular season champ hosts the tournament. There was some buzz a few weeks ago because Sacramento State was leading the conference and they were scrambling for site options since their tiny gym (think St Francis, only smaller) wouldn't have made the cut for TV.

Funnily enough - America East used to host their games in Albany (since it had the "big" arena)

But the coaches complained because they said it was unfair that Albany got to play at home all the time.

So this year - it was #1 seed hosted.

The #1 seed was Albany

• Like 4

All the Big Sky Conference games are at Montana's gym. Montana was the number one seed. I don't know if the site was pre-determined at the start of the year or not. But if so, that's a fair system. The travel in that conference is completely insane. But the number one seed hosting the entire thing gives them a decent advantage.

The Big Sky regular season champ hosts the tournament. There was some buzz a few weeks ago because Sacramento State was leading the conference and they were scrambling for site options since their tiny gym (think St Francis, only smaller) wouldn't have made the cut for TV.

I didn't realize Montana sneaked up on the rest of the conference. I thought Eastern Washington and their kid leading the country in scoring had the Big Sky in the bag. I very much want to see every conference tournament final played in tiny bandboxes.

North Dakota State is a total weirdo sports power. They've won four straight FCS (or is it FBS?) football championships and routinely sell out the 20,000 seat FargoDome doing so. This is their second straight Summit League title. They knocked off Oklahoma in the first round last year. They made the CBI in 2012 and 2013. They've won 25 straight home games. Go Bison!

• Like 1

And for the record - my beloved American University Eagles go for their 2nd straight NCAA berth tonight.

If they get there again - the will probably build a Mike Breenan statue.

Of course - I would also expect Mike Breenan to be coaching elsewhere next year

My two favorite North Dakota State basketball stories are:

1) the year they moved to Division 1, they recruited five kids, who all took redshirts during their freshman season, just so they could make a run at the 2009 NCAA tournament, because when you move up a division, you can't play in the post-season for four seasons. Anyway, they made the tournament, and gave Kansas a damned good game.

2) Sitting in a bar in Winnipeg, Canada on a Thursday night. Jets game had finished, so the North Dakota State/Oklahoma game gets put on all the televisions. 200 people in another country all losing their shit for NDSU winning that game was just so bizarre.

• Like 2

A friend hooked me up for the big Ivy League showdown this Saturday. How's this for a full day: 1pm: Flyers-Wings, 4pm Yale-Harvard, 7:30pm Sixers-Nets.

• Like 2

Tough win for Miami against VT last night in the ACC tourney. Need to get this one today against ND to bump up the NCAA resume. We were up by 12 in the 2nd half against them earlier this year and then they went small and started raining 3's.

The VCU band is doing a concert in Times Square right now - we're two blocks away and 40 flights up but you can hear them clear as day. Those dudes work their asses off.

• Like 3

And for the record - my beloved American University Eagles go for their 2nd straight NCAA berth tonight.

If they get there again - the will probably build a Mike Breenan statue.

Of course - I would also expect Mike Breenan to be coaching elsewhere next year

After last night I've come to the conclusion that Lafayette are communist scum!

Today is the six year anniversary of the absolutely bonkers 6OT game between Syracuse and UConn in the Big East tourney.

I thought for sure Jonny Flynn was going to have a 10-year NBA career after that game.

La Salle beats UMass! Now has Davidson tomorrow.

Today is the six year anniversary of the absolutely bonkers 6OT game between Syracuse and UConn in the Big East tourney.

I thought for sure Jonny Flynn was going to have a 10-year NBA career after that game.

I figured he'd be a bust, but I assume that about every Syracuse player.  I also thought Curry would be an average backup PG at best, so the fuck do I know?

It appears KU will once again inexplicably struggle against TCU, so hoo-fucking-rah.

I think tallest midget would have fit more for a basketball reference, but you are correct, winning the MEAC don't mean jack.

The MEAC's had some scalps over the years! There's the legendary Hampton one over Iowa State. They had Norfolk State and Kyle O'Quinn over Michigan State a few seasons back. And Coppin State snagged South Carolina in the 90s at some point.

UNCC's won a ridiculous amount of games the past few seasons. If they avoid the dreaded 16 line they've got a puncher's chance.

La Salle beats UMass! Now has Davidson tomorrow.

So did David Khan.

And in the funniest result of the day, THE MIGHTY NC CENTRAL got bounced by Delaware State. Schadenfreude for the win!

But they are a shoe in for an at large bid!

What a great day of basketball. Too many great games to handle and we've got Oregon/Utah finishing it all off. Jordan Bell just had two blocks in an absolutely huge sequence with 2 minutes to go.