DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I guess Steve Bosse isn't retiring yet. He is facing Thiago Santos (the one who fought Uriah Hall, not the ex Bellator HW) on the 6/27 TUF Brazil finale.

Massaranduba is replacing Gilbert Durinho, who is injured, on the 5/30 Goania show against Norman Parke.

qwj4if6.png

Urijah Faber, Anti-vaxxer.

As someone pointed out on r/mma, using his logic: "He's also a UFC fighter and never won a UFC belt. Therefore the belts aren't real, since it hasn't happened to him."

• Like 1

Khabib Nurmagomedov is injured again and out of his fight with Donald Cerrone.  Stop training with freaking bears.  

Not sure what the hell you do there.  Ben Henderson is set to fight Michael Johnson.  Maybe Johnson gets moved to the Cerrone fight?  Ferguson and Thomson are fighting in July.  

You could just wait and book Cerrone vs. Dos Anjos II.

Khabib Nurmagomedov is injured again and out of his fight with Donald Cerrone.  Stop training with freaking bears.  

Not sure what the hell you do there.  Ben Henderson is set to fight Michael Johnson.  Maybe Johnson gets moved to the Cerrone fight?  Ferguson and Thomson are fighting in July.  

You could just wait and book Cerrone vs. Dos Anjos II.

I don't think Cerrone wants to wait that long.

I expect them to do Cerrone vs. Masvidal. I think they will lean towards not breaking up any fights currently scheduled. I think that was one of the biggest mistakes last year because a few cards ended up FUBAR because of that. They wanted to fight on the Fairfax show so why the hell not?

Plus it would be a more entertaining bout because Khabib would've most likely wrestled Cerrone to sleep.

I approve of Michelle Waterson destroying Angela Magana.

The only way Angela would get another UFC fight is if she won at the TUF finale or was being lead to the slaughter. Looks like it's the latter.

• Like 1

According to Brett Okamoto, Makdessi is the replacement for Khabib.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12795087/donald-cerrone-face-john-makdessi-following-khabib-nurmagomedov-withdrawl

Edit: Ok scratch the according to part. The official UFC Twitter account put it up as soon as I posted it.

Also, Khabib's father says he is out for five months with a torn meniscus

AKA training is in the stone age.

This is going to vary depending on who you talk to or get info from, but they are still highly regarded as a gym. I think one of the greatest conundrums of MMA training is on the highest level, it is way too close to an actual fight. The line is so small between proper preparation and overtraining. If you remember when I talked about Rafael Cordeiro and how he runs Kings MMA, you would think his guys would never be able to make their fights. Yet guys like Dariush show up in shape and are able to fight multiple times in the span of one and a half months. Plus, they still look good doing it.

You would think the advantage would be at a much smaller gym, but then you have the whole Julianna Pena/Sikjitsu thing. They would be looked at as a gym in the stone age because the stereotype is that something like that would be more likely to happen there. Even if it was blown out of proportion, the gym is going to be seen as one where weekend warriors can come train, throw hands a bit, and learn some "jits".

Once you get to the high level places, you're not getting some random bantamweight jumping on your back and inadvertently putting you on the shelf for several months. You're getting someone like Alistair Overeem, who is gargantuan and learned several different techniques elsewhere, trying to run you into the cage and causing you to shred your knee during your escape attempt. That's why I keep expressing how important the culture of the gym is. There are some trainers, at gyms big and small, who are not able to assess the training conditions of their gym and whether certain guys will be able to fit there or not. If fighters are getting injured during actual fights barely doing anything, why the hell would you be letting guys just get it in on a daily basis? There has got to be something other than "this is the only way we know how" and "iron sharpens iron".

Regarding Overeem, you have a number of UFC fighters saying he injures you in training on purpose.  Definitely seems like Jackson/Winkeljohn didn't do the proper assessing there and more wanted the notoriety and publicity of having Overeem at their gym.  Same with Blackzilians.

Regarding Overeem, you have a number of UFC fighters saying he injures you in training on purpose.  Definitely seems like Jackson/Winkeljohn didn't do the proper assessing there and more wanted the notoriety and publicity of having Overeem at their gym.  Same with Blackzilians.

I would still say Blackzilians/Jaco Hybrid Training Center was a bit more of an outlier then. They were still going through a transition period, where guys kept leaving and then going back (coaches included). It's still going on now, but the core of Greg Jones, Jorginho, Danilo Villefort, Hooft, and Spong are more firmly entrenched. Rashad has even taken on a mentor/trainer role that has worked out way well. Some of those guys on this season of TUF have potential, and I think Rashad can actually help them.

Jackson/Winklejohn, along with guys like Izzy Martinez and Brandon Gibson, would be a much different story because they never really had that turnover. They aren't really getting guys just because they are high level and help people improve. They are vetting their own guys and have their own system in place.

• Like 1