DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Spoke with Josh Barnett today, said he will be fighting for the UFC again this year and he has his next fight lined up, TBA soon.

I wonder what the policy is for guys like Barnett just doing grappling competitions. I know he won this weekend over substitute Ryron Gracie, but there is always potential to get injured. However, he was suppose to go against "Cyborg" Abreu. I mean Joe Lauzon got ran over this weekend by Dillion Danis so it's definitely a possibility. I believe Maia turned down doing the ADCC recently, but I think that was because he wasn't interested.

I imagine it's OK as long as they don't have a big fight lined up or shouldn't be in camp.  Sounded like a recent development and he's about to start a 16-week-ish training camp.

Spoke with Josh Barnett today, said he will be fighting for the UFC again this year and he has his next fight lined up, TBA soon.

I wonder what the policy is for guys like Barnett just doing grappling competitions. I know he won this weekend over substitute Ryron Gracie, but there is always potential to get injured. However, he was suppose to go against "Cyborg" Abreu. I mean Joe Lauzon got ran over this weekend by Dillion Danis so it's definitely a possibility. I believe Maia turned down doing the ADCC recently, but I think that was because he wasn't interested.

I imagine it's OK as long as they don't have a big fight lined up or shouldn't be in camp.  Sounded like a recent development and he's about to start a 16-week-ish training camp.

Ok, gotcha. If I am the UFC, I wouldn't want someone like Barnett competing in anything physical when I have plans to line him up for something soon. Training camps are enough danger.

WSOF finally decided to have a good card. On August 1, their card will be headlined by Toquinho vs. Shields alongside Marlon Moraes vs. Sheymon Moraes. Also, Tyrone Spong is set to make his MMA return.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 3m

Shooto Brazil 54 will in fact air live this Sunday at 6 pm ET on @ufcfightpass. Confirmed. Notables on the card: Luiz Cane, Ronys Torres.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 4m

Calling Shooto Brazil 54 on Fight Pass this Sunday will be Jason Chambers (play-by-play) and Dominick Cruz (color analyst).

It looks like Josh Barnett has been booked against Roy Nelson for 9/27 as the headliner for the next show in Japan. Both will coach on a show called Road to UFC Japan.

According to Globo, The TUF Brazil 4 Finale is being moved from Sao Paulo to Miami. The main event will be Machida vs. Romero with E. Silva vs. Story being moved down to co-main.

Isn't Japanese culture in a nutshell basically "Go out a warrior"? I was always told that it's the ultimate complement to be killed doing what you do best. In Japanese culture it is an honor to go out like a warrior. So using that logic PRIDE would seemingly want a Saku or other big star to get pummeled at the end of their career. I don't need to remind everyone about Don Frye's last fight in Japan do I? The crowd practically wanted him to be killed.

Been watching a lot of old PRIDE and thinking about this stuff.

I dunno if it's to that extreme, but I am willingly to say that is one of the reasons the scene there isn't as vibrant as ten or so years ago.

I wish there was at least Dream or SRC around so young guys can get seasoning and decent pay at the same time.

Jeff Blatnick is being inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame along w/ Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 2. BTW, it looks like Bonnar has been moved to a "Fights" wing of the HOF for the first Griffin fight.

A potential bout for the 7/15 San Diego card is Holly Holm vs. Marion Reneau.

my wife's family has terrible MMA knowledge when it comes to planning camping trips. 

they've only got two scheduled this year (so far). the first is this weekend (ufc 187) and the other is july 11th (ufc 189). grrr.....

my wife's family has terrible MMA knowledge when it comes to planning camping trips. 

they've only got two scheduled this year (so far). the first is this weekend (ufc 187) and the other is july 11th (ufc 189). grrr.....

In their defense, there is a UFC event every weekend so it is hard to plan around :)

Jeff Blatnick is being inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame along w/ Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 2. BTW, it looks like Bonnar has been moved to a "Fights" wing of the HOF for the first Griffin fight.

I like that fight hopefully it gets finalized.

I like that fight hopefully it gets finalized.

No offense to Pennington, but Reneau is definitely a better matchup for Holm on paper in terms of entertainment.

UFC divvying up the Hall of Fame is a smart move. That way morons won't lose their minds when they want to induct fighters for a classic fight.  It's just like the WWE Hall of Fame.  Can't induct everyone you want every year.

UFC divvying up the Hall of Fame is a smart move. That way morons won't lose their minds when they want to induct fighters for a classic fight.  It's just like the WWE Hall of Fame.  Can't induct everyone you want every year.

I am surprised that the International Boxing Hall of Fame hasn't done this. It's the best way to get in borderline fighters or perhaps guys who wouldn't be close but have nostalgic qualities.

Anytime you start a hall of fame, you're going to start with pioneers and/or people who should no doubt be in. However, unless you have this amazing history or only choose a select few every year, it can only go down from there. It's very easy to go from great to very good to the Hall of Fame for good to semi-decent retired athletes.

The boxing one in Canastota doesn't really have a depth issue or a bunch of questionable inductions, but we're getting into some murky territory now where a bunch of potential candidates held a tiny sliver of a world title or legitimate claim to one.

I love Arturo Gatti. He had some downright amazing and brutal fights. I wish more boxers were like him. He truly lived up to his moniker. With that said, in no way was Arturo Gatti a Hall of Famer. He got utterly destroyed by every great fighter he faced. The thing is...he didn't face many. He went up in weight to fight Oscar back when Oscar was promoted by Univision. He got blew up into a thousand pieces. Then he fought and defended his cherry picked super lightweight title against Floyd and had zero chance of winning. Mayweather gave him one of the worst beatings I have ever seen in boxing. The thud from that one body shot to the kidneys Floyd landed in the final round before Buddy McGirt stopped it in the corner was sickening. You could have heard that even if the ring wasn't mic'd overhead. That's it for the best fighters he ever fought.

The UFC Hall of Fame isn't an ultra, legit venue but it can provide discussion. The one thing, besides a glaring omission like Frank Shamrock, that it will be confronted with is that type of problem I've stated above. I love Matt Brown, but he shouldn't be in unless he has a hell of a career resurgence. However, I would not protest too much if you decide to put in Matt Brown vs. Fighter XYZ that got everyone talking. That way you can keep things clear and show the context between eras and watershed moments.

• Like 2

Just right off the bat, you could technically induct Dan Henderson twice.  You can induct him once as a pioneer of the sport and another time for his first fight vs. Shogun at UFC 139.  

But at some point, I do think Frank Shamrock should get inducted in the Pioneer wing.  John McCarthy for the contributor wing, etc.  

I think the Matt Brown point is a great example.  Not really a Hall of Fame standout career, but perhaps you can put him in or recognize him for a specific moment or fight.  Like Frank Trigg getting in for his fight with Matt Hughes.

• Like 1