DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah from a business standpoint if would make sense to have Nate Diaz vs McGregor for the title if you believe that conor having the title is the best thing for UFC.   Nate Diaz doesn't deserve a title shot.   Not even sure he deserve a title shot 4 years ago.  If you want to make a fight with similiar style than Aldo you are telling me that Diaz would be the top of the list and the only one who wants the chance.  

Of course if they decide that this isn't going to be for an interim title then any opponent is fine.  But I doubt that would happen

McGregor vs. Diaz would be at 155 as Ariel said on the show. Nate is 6'1" and use to fight at welterweight. He ain't making featherweight on a week and a half notice.

I think Aldo just doesn't want to get drug tested by USADA.

Well, reading what happened, it sounds like a freak accident on the part of an inexperienced fighter sparring with a veteran one.

He is still going to get tested no matter what. The media tour was in March so he was informed way ahead of time any possible implications. According to Savage, he just re-worked his deal. So it would make absolutely no sense to postpone or delay a fight that will make him more money than he has ever seen. He hasn't fought since last October, and he has a family. This ain't a hourly pay job.

In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.

http://t.co/cnbbO5v5nP

Wow, that's huge news. I'm as shocked as you are that Conor's camp would accept fighting Mendes on short notice. That's a dangerous fight and it has a built in back story with all the trash talking they (mostly Conor) did last year.

Should the Aldo fight go ahead, I wonder how big of a change in strategy Conor would take and try to work the body far more than he usually does.

Wow, that's huge news. I'm as shocked as you are that Conor's camp would accept fighting Mendes on short notice. That's a dangerous fight and it has a built in back story with all the trash talking they (mostly Conor) did last year.

Should the Aldo fight go ahead, I wonder how big of a change in strategy Conor would take and try to work the body far more than he usually does.

One thing is looking of the likelihood of a substitute coming into play. Just from Ariel's demeanor on UFC Tonight, you can tell some of this is posturing on the UFC's behalf and possibly one of the fighter's camps.

Again, if this was several weeks out, the UFC could strategize on what to do and then go from there. The commercials would be shot, but they still would be in post. Right now, you got several other things in post-production and other stuff that might be on deck. Hey, it could have been a Rampage vs. Tito thing where one side spent a ton on marketing and was forced to cancel. However, when you know something is going to do real business, you're going to do everything to protect it. Everything else is secondary.

Maybe, the UFC feel sliding Mendes into those ads as a just-in-case is feasible. However, just because managers have been marginalized doesn't mean they are unable make moves as well. If Aldo vs. McGregor is 98% ready to go, then you can say McGregor vs. the Yeti is a contingency plan. It doesn't matter.

I can imagine the fight with Mendes still being for the interim title probably sweetened the deal...even as the "contingency" plan.  As stupid as the interim title is in this case, I can understand it from a promotional standpoint.

Hopefully, all this means Weidman vs. Rockhold happens sooner than December.

But yeah, fuck 'em.

Unless Weidman gets injured.  It annoyed me that Weidman was saying he wouldn't fight until MSG in December anyway.

But yeah, fuck 'em.

Unless Weidman gets injured.  It annoyed me that Weidman was saying he wouldn't fight until MSG in December anyway.

Can you really blame Weidman for wanting the opportunity to fight at the first event in his home state? And yes, as if I wasn't already fed up with the asshole politicians we have here, they had to pull this shit again. It's such a joke, the state is starved for money and again they turn away the possibility to make millions. 

But yeah, fuck 'em.

Can you really blame Weidman for wanting the opportunity to fight at the first event in his home state? And yes, as if I wasn't already fed up with the asshole politicians we have here, they had to pull this shit again. It's such a joke, the state is starved for money and again they turn away the possibility to make millions. 

Yes I can because he constantly gets hurt and pulls out of fights.  There was a high likelihood he didn't make it to the fight anyway.  

This is another example of why I hate politics.

I was not a fan of Koscheck when he was on the 1st season of UF, but I turned around on him as his career progressed. He gave GSP one of his toughest fights in the early part of his reign and he was generally reliable for an entertaining fight. His fight with Rumble is still one of my favorites. The whole deal with Rogan going "Oh yeah, he clearly kneed him in the eye." to "Waaaaiiiiit   a minute!"  as they went through 15 different angles, and Kos 'miraculously' recovering,  was worth the cost of admission. Followed by two Kos eyepokes and Rumble crumbling almost as bad as he did again against DC. It was like the perfect marriage of MMA and ProWres and Kos was going to be it's Ric Flair.  I don't have the hate for him that others do and would like to think that someone would take him aside and tell him enough was enough.

Well, it won't be his management it looks like. Bellator has signed a swath of Zinkin Entertainment clients. This would include Ed Ruth, Aaron Pico, Phil Davis, and now Koscheck. So he is probably getting money to be utterly inefficient against Paul Daley in a rematch and Douglas Lima. He will probably get a gimme win against someone like Josh Neer to justify his place on the roster, but I don't expect him to rise above that level obviously.

Guest Edwin

You know Bellator is going to use his win over Rumble as a way to push Koscheck even if it was years ago.

The first casualty of the tenative Bellator/Glory show is of course Joe Schilling. Since his head got dribbled off the mat like his name was Spalding, he got a ninety day suspension.

Quick Aldo update:

Brett Okamoto tweeted the NAC stated it is "highly unlikely" Aldo doesn't get cleared.

Jonas Bilharinho said on the MMA Hour that Aldo will return to training tomorrow and their team will make the final decision. However, he thinks the fight will happen.