DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On UFC tonight PVZ's people want her to wait until the Fall for her to fight again with a Top 10 Strawweight opponent is what they are hoping for. Cromier did the RVD thumbs way of saying PVZ before Ariel said the news.

Tim Kennedy wants to fight Lyota Machida and wants it to be a loser leaves UFC bout.

Guest Edwin

The loser leaves town idea makes Kennedy seem delusional. I don't see why either one of them would be cut.

They're both 2 of the better fighters in the division and they're both just on a 1 fight losing streak, so they shouldn't even be close to being cut.

I think if you're gonna add a stipulation, it should be "nickname" stip. Like, if I win this next match, I get to choose your nickname for your next two fights. You've gotta get the UFC to update their website and the announcers have to use it and everything.

Then we could have Tim "Daffodil" Kennedy.

Guest Edwin

I'm still laughing at Askren's hilariously awful performance against Sapo Santos in ONE FC today.

Carla Esparza shoot from 10 feet far away for takedown mentality got him hit a bit and almost got him punted in the face. 2 of his body locks also got turned over and got Sapo Santos into side mount and was also able to throw Askren with the other body lock.

Askren then tried to use the Jon Jones eye poke technique to be able to get a takedown appropriately and then complained when the fight was stopped and ruled a NC because Sapo couldn't see.

I can't believe people brought into Front Row Brian and people like him pushing Askren as the top welterweight in the world.

Hadn't seen the fight yet but I think Askren needs to be in the UFC badly. Not just for the obvious reasons, but from the skill set and mental part of it. He is at a critical point where he needs to be fighting other top fighters to develop. I think he was probably looking at ONE FC as free money and then he jumps to the UFC. Yeah, make all the money you can. The problem is if you continue to fight this level of opponent then it's very easy for you to get down to that level eventually. If he gets upset in ONE FC, he might as well move out to Southeast Asia permanently because he is SOL career-wise.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osMPND3aWPg

There you go.

He didn't look bad, he looked really, really bad. Those shots were horrendous. He makes Carla Esparza's shots against Joanna look like a billion bucks.

If Askren struggles with Luis "Sapo" Santos, who's no slouch, yet he's far from being a UFC top 15 caliber level welterweight, then he'll lose to the top guys in the UFC with decent takedown defense and will get manhandled by those who rely mostly on their wrestling.

The ole finger to the eye-bodylock takedown. Classic.

He probably didn't watch any footage of Sapo. For his sake, I hope that's the case. You would think a wrestler of Askren's caliber would not be belly flopping, but here we are.

• Like 1

I think UFC should have hired him, if only because someone would have humiliated him at some point.  

And like it or not, dude has a legit athletic background.  

However, he's the one that signed with ONE FC.  No one made him do that.  So if he's pissed about that, he has no one to blame but himself.

The loser leaves town idea makes Kennedy seem delusional. I don't see why either one of them would be cut.

They're both 2 of the better fighters in the division and they're both just on a 1 fight losing streak, so they shouldn't even be close to being cut.

Ariel said that Kennedy a few months was heavily considering retirement but in recent months his mind changed that he didn't want to go out that way against Romero. So he wants to fight Machida and add the Loser leaves UFC to the fight for those reasons. Ariel said Machida's manager likes the fight but Machida doesn't want to be the one to end Kennedy's UFC run.

Guest Edwin

I remember him saying he wanted to retire, so if he wants to retire he can just go down the Chris Lytle way or like anyone else and just fight and afterwards instead of trying to come up with goofy retirement fights.

I don't know how the UFC feels about having dudes just being semi-retired on the roster. There are guys who are injured and trying to heal up, but they are not taking intentional indefinite hiatuses.

Guest Edwin

I don't know how the UFC feels about having dudes just being semi-retired on the roster. There are guys who are injured and trying to heal up, but they are not taking intentional indefinite hiatuses.

Georges-St-Pierre-UFC-831.jpg

Guest Edwin

Speaking of, GSP said he'd give WWE a shot if they offered him a contract, but he recognized he's to small and that he wouldn't fair well due to his size.

How many fights does Rampage last in the UFC before crying foul and wanting to go back to Bellator or sign with someone else?