DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

I'm almost certain the Aldo/McGregor fight will end like all the other "real" UFC grudges...

silva-sonnen.jpg

"I respect you, Aldo, I was just selling a fight..."

That's a very stilted way of looking at this. Everything isn't the same.

I think the one thing combat sports has over traditional sports is less false narratives. When they do happen, it is often hilarious. For example, Anderson Silva being scared of Vitor Belfort because he wore a Jabbawockeez mask at the UFC 126 weigh-ins. You almost want that stuff around. Almost.

Moreover, everything doesn't have to be Riddick Bowe straight up punching Larry Donald in the face at a LA presser. I'll take a Barrera-Morales scuffle. However, the latter had a natural built in story to go with it. It also didn't hurt that it was brewing over a number of years.

If you look at the Silva vs. Sonnen thing as a complete whole, it possibly couldn't have played out better for fans other than it turning into a trilogy. Comparing that to something like a Davis vs. Lytle type scenario ignores the bigger picture.

Even though it's not UFC specifically, you can throw Ortiz vs. Bonnar into that canon. I wasn't insulted that they did the ridiculous Black Scorpion/Midnight Rider thing with Justin McCully. I was insulted that they were awful iterations of fighters that use to be decent to good. Thus, it makes it very difficult for anything authentic to come from that or even seem that way. The quick cash grab part doesn't even bother me that much.

I'm not saying just accept any and all promotion of high level fighters is what you should do. UFC 165 is a strong example of that as they were just building up technical features of Gustafsson like he was a smartphone on the market. I'm saying the exact opposite of that. I am saying I am in favor of anything that gets these guys and girls' personalities out there (a little embellished or not) and accurately depicts them as high level fighters. If the end of result is someone being a little bit humbled by the experience, then let it be that. I mean the post fight after Aldo vs. Mendes II was better than the lead up of PED talk and fence grabs. Each guy basically admitted that the other guy was tremendous at fighting after an awesome fight. It's not like they were suckling at each other's tit. They were grown men fighting to prove who was better, and some mutual admiration came out of it.

I mean Meltzer was talking recently about how Rousey had that moral dilemma after the last Tate fight about whether she should not shake her hand or give her just a quick "good game" dap. I think that's awesome because it shows she isn't like some programmed robot. She doesn't like Tate for real, but it's not like she holds this deep hatred and vitrol over some MMA beef.

Doing some research, Dana basically went after him for the Fitch vs. Burkman II stoppage at a UFC 161 media scrum.

But this may be what was the end of Maz in the UFC:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/22/5740048/morning-report-ufc-173-dana-white-steve-mazzagatti-nick-diaz-cormier-barao-mma-news

I recently saw a video of the 25 best insults in UFC where Dana calls Maz the worst ref in MMA today amongst other things.

Abel Trujillo broke his arm so Shane Campbell is replacing him against John Makdessi at UFC 186. Campbell is the guy on the right in the picture below:

CBhtqROUUAAqtV-.png

So...yeah.

Guest Edwin

Brandon Thatch vs. Jordan Mein has been added to UFC 189. That could be epic.

Nope. Thatch is fighting John Howard.

The decision on whether or not Rampage fights at UFC 186 will be decided on Tuesday morning in a NJ court. Rampage's side presented their case today at the hearing, but the decision was postponed until Tuesday.

Guest Edwin

In news that I'm sure will please most of you, Eric "The American Soldier" Prindle has signed with Pancrase.

The decision on whether or not Rampage fights at UFC 186 will be decided on Tuesday morning in a NJ court. Rampage's side presented their case today at the hearing, but the decision was postponed until Tuesday.

Do people that know more about law than me expect him not to be allowed to fight?  I haven't read a lot of analysis on what the expected outcome is.

Do people that know more about law than me expect him not to be allowed to fight?  I haven't read a lot of analysis on what the expected outcome is.

Probably because there aren't many instances of it in MMA. Don King did it in a South Florida court to stop Mayorga from fighting Din Thomas, and that show ended up getting cancelled IIRC. However, King and DKP have a long, storied history of doing stuff like that going back to the 80s.

From my understanding, the courts usually decide on the plaintiff's behalf just because it takes awhile to review the arguments. However, the UFC probably would not have went to great lengths to advertise and promote Rampage for the show if he didn't have a strong case that his Bellator contract was voided. Maybe hubris got the best of them, and Rampage and McGann got a bit cocky too about how that situation occurred. Maybe there is more to this. Who knows?

• Like 1

So now does UFC pay Bellator to release Rampage to not impact their PPV? I mean how much is Rampage really worth now?  Should be interesting to see where it goes.

If Bellator wanted a cash settlement, I think there possibly would have been some type of arbitration beforehand. I think Bellator just wants him to sit out indefinitely.

Anyway, Benson and Mavisdal want to fight each other at 170. I would be down for that if that's the new co-main.