DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

UFC only really has themselves to blame in this instance.  Shouldn't have signed Rampage until he was completely free and clear from Bellator.  

Shouldn't have signed him regardless.  He's beyond done. 

I think I talked about this when all this started. It all comes down to how you use someone like him. I am diametrically opposed to a seniors division or any bullshit like that, but you cannot be oblivious to the fact his name does still have some traction. The problem though, besides the actual contract situation, is you cannot stick him on a PPV show out of the blue. It's not like they were selling tickets when he was actually on the card. It's all about understanding the degrees of attraction if that makes sense.

A fight like Maldonado is fine because it keeps him out of the stream of contenders. Plus, it's in line with the type of guys that wouldn't be awful to watch due to the style matchup. However, that's not "I am willing to spend 60 bucks" caliber fight. That's a FS1 headliner at best or third from the top Fox fight. He should be on TV consistently like a Urijah Faber is now after his last title fight. Yeah, Rampage isn't going to challenge for a belt but that applies to a bunch of other guys as well with half the popularity.

This is the first official UFC statement about the current Rampage situation: http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Rampage-Jackson

BTW, Dustin Poirier vs. Yancy Medeiros has been added to the New Orleans card.

UFC's statement seems a bit stupid on the surface.  They didn't look into it, they just 'assumed' Rampage was telling the truth before announcing him for a PPV?  The same Rampage that has shown on a few occasions he is missing a few screws?  I hope they are just covering themselves as if they really didn't look into the situation that wasn't very wise.

• Like 1

This is the first official UFC statement about the current Rampage situation: http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Rampage-Jackson

BTW, Dustin Poirier vs. Yancy Medeiros has been added to the New Orleans card.

UFC's statement seems a bit stupid on the surface.  They didn't look into it, they just 'assumed' Rampage was telling the truth before announcing him for a PPV?  The same Rampage that has shown on a few occasions he is missing a few screws?  I hope they are just covering themselves as if they really didn't look into the situation that wasn't very wise.

Luke Thomas @SBNLukeThomas

I'm being told the UFC's statement is worded specifically so as to protect them from any future lawsuits where they could be involved.

I get why they re-signed Rampage, it was still a dumb long-term move.  Rampage is a crybaby, and he seems to become a detriment to what ever company he signs with and is unhappy within a matter of months.

• Like 1

I get why they re-signed Rampage, it was still a dumb long-term move.  Rampage is a crybaby, and he seems to become a detriment to what ever company he signs with and is unhappy within a matter of months.

Well, thing is, they already dealt with him before. They've shown themselves to be willing to deal with headaches in the past. The difference comes in when you are no longer that effective being who you are. As I said before, all the luster was off of him when he went left the first time. You cannot be a headache AND not be a star. That makes you super expendable. What helped reinvigorate him was the fact he was away for bit, and Bellator under Rebney was willing to rehab his image. He was back to being a commodity even if it was very brief in duration. Once Coker came onboard, it became a different story and this was the result. If this was a younger fighter working his way back up the ladder, the UFC most likely would have waited. With Rampage in his current state, they felt time was of the essence clearly.

Mike Swick is making his return against Alex Garcia at UFC 189.

Mirsad Bektic vs. Renato "Moicano" in a battle of featherweight prospects has been added to the 5/30 Goania show.

I get that there is some basic use for him. Especially in the current environment where they have constant shows and barely any recognizable names on them. I just can't imagine his worth will really amount to much.

• Like 1

I get that there is some basic use for him. Especially in the current environment where they have constant shows and barely any recognizable names on them. I just can't imagine his worth will really amount to much.

Your second sentence basically explains your third sentence. Bellator ain't bringing in Ken Shamrock to main event because Kimbo is this hot prospect. The free agency market in MMA today ain't exactly 2006-2008. Bringing Rampage in would've meant one less guy that Bellator has. Vice versa with some of the pickups that Bellator has made.

BTW, Botter says Matt Brown vs. Nate Diaz has been added to UFC 189. Mir vs. Duffee is set to headline a fight night card. All this will be announced on UFC Tonight.

Well, thing is, they already dealt with him before. They've shown themselves to be willing to deal with headaches in the past. The difference comes in when you are no longer that effective being who you are. As I said before, all the luster was off of him when he went left the first time. You cannot be a headache AND not be a star. That makes you super expendable. What helped reinvigorate him was the fact he was away for bit, and Bellator under Rebney was willing to rehab his image. He was back to being a commodity even if it was very brief in duration. Once Coker came onboard, it became a different story and this was the result. If this was a younger fighter working his way back up the ladder, the UFC most likely would have waited. With Rampage in his current state, they felt time was of the essence clearly.

OK, but all that and he was still in the middle of a Bellator MMA contract.  Which they took him at his word he was free and clear, and now they are stuck in this current mess where they lost another fight for a PPV because of it.  It was not a smart move.  We all assumed because UFC signed the deal they probably knew it would be OK from a legal perspective, when it wasn't.

OK, but all that and he was still in the middle of a Bellator MMA contract.  Which they took him at his word he was free and clear, and now they are stuck in this current mess where they lost another fight for a PPV because of it.  It was not a smart move.  We all assumed because UFC signed the deal they probably knew it would be OK from a legal perspective, when it wasn't.

They aren't stuck in anything. He is.

Also, we know that the UFC isn't exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to pursing possible free agents. We went through the Alvarez situation. They were discussing deals to pursue Brock when he was still under WWE contract. Even if one of the things that kept Brock in WWE was Vince moving a little on him talking to other parties, it still can be construed as tampering. This is what the UFC do.

UFC Tonight @UFCTonight 47s

It's official! Frank Mir will fight Todd Duffee in the July 15th main event on Fox @FOXSports1 in San Diego.

Sara McMann wants to fight Cat Zingano.

Tyron Woodley wants to fight Johny Hendricks on the UFC 189 card. Personally, I would just save that for the Chicago card or even have that for the TUF Finale main event on 7/12. That way, Woodley or Hendricks can easily sub for someone in that WW title fight.

Also, we know that the UFC isn't exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to pursing possible free agents. We went through the Alvarez situation. They were discussing deals to pursue Brock when he was still under WWE contract. Even if one of the things that kept Brock in WWE was Vince moving a little on him talking to other parties, it still can be construed as tampering. This is what the UFC do.

They just lost their advertised co-main event just days before UFC 186, an already debilitated card, because of this.  This is a little different than Eddie Alvarez who never had a contract signed with UFC when his issues started.  

They just lost their advertised co-main event just days before UFC 186, an already debilitated card, because of this.  This is a little different than Eddie Alvarez who never had a contract signed with UFC when his issues started.  

If they could've done the same thing with Eddie, they would have.

A fight off a card that wasn't going to do business anyway means little in the grand scheme of what they were trying to accomplish.

Jorge "Blade" Oliveira, who fought on the Maia vs. LaFlare card, has tested positive for stanozolol and been suspended for one year by CABMMA. This was after the commission announced everyone from the show was clean earlier this week. Thus, Oliveira is planning to appeal the test result. He is 0-2 in the UFC so his run there is likely over anyway.

There is talk about Dillashaw vs. Barao II being on the UFC 189 card.

Also, that the UFC wants to skip having a PPV for a month next year so UFC 200 can fall on IFW and try to make it the biggest show ever.

Wouldn't that make 3 titles fights on the UFC 189 card? I'm pretty sure that has never happened before on a UFC card.

UFC 33, which was the reason there hasn't been 3 titles on one show ever again.

Right now, it's still up in the air because the condition of Dillashaw is still unknown. Being three months out, some of the rumored fights could easily happen on the Sunday show.

Three title fights on one UFC event should be a huge no no.  That means you have the possibility of three five round fights, and that's not always a good thing.  

You (meaning the UFC) have to carefully evaluate the style matchups. Lawler vs. MacDonald I was a good fight. Dillashaw vs. Barao I may be a one time thing or the genuine article of what to expect for the rematch. We just have to see with that one. The crowd will be too hot for the main event to actually tell if it's a good fight, but then again, the crowd should play a factor in that.

I would be worried that the crowd would be a little burned out for the main event rather than the entertainment factor. However, with a lot of people from the UK and Ireland buying up the tickets, it probably would be a Rousey thing where they just came to see the main event and other stuff is just gravy.

Three title fights on one UFC event should be a huge no no.  That means you have the possibility of three five round fights, and that's not always a good thing.  

You (meaning the UFC) have to carefully evaluate the style matchups. Lawler vs. MacDonald I was a good fight. Dillashaw vs. Barao I may be a one time thing or the genuine article of what to expect for the rematch. We just have to see with that one. The crowd will be too hot for the main event to actually tell if it's a good fight, but then again, the crowd should play a factor in that.

I would be worried that the crowd would be a little burned out for the main event rather than the entertainment factor. However, with a lot of people from the UK and Ireland buying up the tickets, it probably would be a Rousey thing where they just came to see the main event and other stuff is just gravy.

That is reason enough to avoid three title fights on one night.