DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

On re-watching, that's not a super wide swing for a double-tap. Wider than average for the speed he's walking (and as The Z pointed out, he's in the middle of the damned street) but not outlandish.  The thing to remember is that the cadence and technique of your cane walk is pretty personal and varies way more widely than you may think, because any person who has spent as long cane-navigating as Matt has will have different experiences and learned lessons that point them to a different conclusion (and your own physical dexterity makes a difference too) and also that, because this is a TV show and not real life, shit that's not common to the average viewer is going to be exaggerated so that people know what's going on. I don't tap at all, I usually hold it at an angle in front of my chest, more 'presenting' it than anything else so that the drivers know I may not see them. But there are eighty thousand ways to cane walk and Cox is less exaggerated than several actual totals I've known.

Not trying to preach at people, just dropping the limited knowledge I have so that folks can grasp things.

• Like 2

So, anyone else think Other SHIELD is really fucking dumb?  I mean, their whole motivation is "We don't like Coulson because he screwed with alien tech." while completly ignoring stopping HYDRA from fully weaponizing Diviners, burying an Inhuman factory, and basically toppling the entire HYDRA heirarchy except for Von Strucker.  I'd vote to leave him in charge, Other side having Admiral Adama or not, but "WE'RE TRANSPARENT AND COULSON HAS SECRETS!  BURN HIM!!!".  Sigh.  Kinda kills the streak SHIELD's been on.

So, anyone else think Other SHIELD is really fucking dumb?  I mean, their whole motivation is "We don't like Coulson because he screwed with alien tech." while completly ignoring stopping HYDRA from fully weaponizing Diviners, burying an Inhuman factory, and basically toppling the entire HYDRA heirarchy except for Von Strucker.  I'd vote to leave him in charge, Other side having Admiral Adama or not, but "WE'RE TRANSPARENT AND COULSON HAS SECRETS!  BURN HIM!!!".  Sigh.  Kinda kills the streak SHIELD's been on.

It is stupid and the subplot sucks.  What there is another SHIELD?  One that's transparent?  OK, so then who controls it?  The government is OK with new shield?  Did they set it up?  What about the World Security Council?  And their reasons for not liking Coulson are stupid.  

This is why I hate longer seasons over 20 episodes.  We end up with stupid subplots like this.

I'm going to assume there will be a moment where it'll be confirmed that the World Security Council is behind the new SHIELD - which will get renamed SWORD or something, to distance themselves from Coulson's version. It would make sense, because the WSO never really agreed with Fury on much, and you got the impression from the brief meetings that we've seen that they don't like him either. Their entire argument is that Fury kept secrets and basically ran SHIELD the exact opposite of what was intended. And then "changed" a great agent in Coulson into, more or less, an alien.

I'm more interested in the Inhumans stuff, personally. No appearance from No Eyes and Mr. Hyde this episode, unless I missed it. Didn't they advertise last week Mr. Hyde meeting the higher-ups or something?

What will those gauntlets end up doing for Skye? Controlling her powers and focusing them, or is it engineered to reduce her powers to a minimum? WILL WE FINALLY SEE A SUPERHERO ON THIS SHOW?

Its more about who holds the power than anything else which I think is what Hunter read and why he got the fuck right out of there. The problem I have is more how dumb it makes Mack and Bobbi look to be unable to read something so blatantly obvious, especially considering the work that Coulson's Shield has done. FFS Coulson's group is working directly with the US government and this other group is even more shady as fuck in hiding while talking up transparency.

The thing is I find the idea of a fight between two different Shields over hierarchy to actually be potentially interesting. it just written so damn poorly here.

I'm going to assume there will be a moment where it'll be confirmed that the World Security Council is behind the new SHIELD - which will get renamed SWORD or something, to distance themselves from Coulson's version. It would make sense, because the WSO never really agreed with Fury on much, and you got the impression from the brief meetings that we've seen that they don't like him either. Their entire argument is that Fury kept secrets and basically ran SHIELD the exact opposite of what was intended. And then "changed" a great agent in Coulson into, more or less, an alien.

I'm more interested in the Inhumans stuff, personally. No appearance from No Eyes and Mr. Hyde this episode, unless I missed it. Didn't they advertise last week Mr. Hyde meeting the higher-ups or something?

What will those gauntlets end up doing for Skye? Controlling her powers and focusing them, or is it engineered to reduce her powers to a minimum? WILL WE FINALLY SEE A SUPERHERO ON THIS SHOW?

She's basically Surge from New X-Men at this point.

Honestly, it's almost comical watching Mack and Bobbi look like idiots in trusting creepy old dude who says "everything is transparent" and yet he's coming off so goddamn shady when compared to Coulson. Mack and Bobbi pretty much have to be finished at SHIELD after this, right? Especially after what happens in the next episode and Ward being a HYDRA deep cover agent before. There's just no way anyone who survives could ever trust them ever again, IMHO.

I kind get that for action purposes, they want to get to a Bobbi vs. May fight, but man, they hamhanded it into a way that makes Mockingbird, an Avengers-level hero, look like a fucking idiot.  Every reason AdamaSHIELD gives for wanting Coulson out falls apart after 10 seconds of thinking (which Hunter saw right away).  

Re: Skye's gloves - Quake's gloves allow control of her seismic powers to the point she can hit a specific target.  That's from the comics.

But the WSC was behind the old SHIELD and was their governing body...so I mean...how is this any different this time?

It is stupid and the subplot sucks.  What there is another SHIELD?  One that's transparent?  OK, so then who controls it?  The government is OK with new shield?  Did they set it up?  What about the World Security Council?  And their reasons for not liking Coulson are stupid.  

This is why I hate longer seasons over 20 episodes.  We end up with stupid subplots like this.

I'd love to get a 13-episode SHIELD season, a 6 episode Agent Carter season, and maybe 6 episodes of something else(maybe SWORD or Heroes for Hire).  Most of the best television shows over the last 10 years have had 10-15 episode seasons, and I think that is the way to go.  I would have been fine if they spent the entire season of AoS telling the story of Skye, her father, and how she got her powers.  I loved Agent Carter, and with all the other characters they have at their disposal, their options are almost endless.

• Like 1

1.  Devin Faraci is a liar.

2.  This is an not an April Fool's joke. I have seen the first five episodes of Marvel's Daredevil​. This is quite possibly the greatest TV series Marvel has ever produced. The violence level is R-rated. Fans of the Frank Miller and Brian Michael Bendis/Alex Maleev runs are going to love this show. Fighting is brutal and intense. Casting is spot on. 

Each episode sort of leads into the next but can still stand on its own if that makes any sense. 

This show perfectly encompasses what Patton Oswalt said before. Dark and gritty is fine if that character is dark and gritty. Daredevil definitely embraces that.

In addition, I will be going to the press day tomorrow.

Quite frankly, I don't even care about Agents of SHIELDS anymore.  I am going through withdrawal after episode five.

I'm not quite following why this AoS episode jumped the shark.  If anything it gave a nice backstory about that other SHIELD.  And it had Skye finally start to see what she can do.  I don't read the comics/graphic novels and have nothing to base these shows off of.  Not to sound ignorant but I don't know what they would be referring to aside from what I see on the show.  But it's been pretty fun.

Also helps we have a focus on Chloe Bennett so far this season, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

We're inching closer and closer to Skye actually joining the Inhumans - that alone has me pretty hyped for this show, and wondering what Inhuman characters will be debuted on AoS (probably not this season, however).

Still waiting on the Speedball episode, though. You know it's coming, and it will be glorious.

You do know people can still like both AoS and Daredevil, right?

Still I'm happy the latter has you excited. I'm looking forward to when it finally releases on Netflix.

I mean of course I know hypothetically that could happen...I just don't think it will ;).  

Still I'm happy the latter has you excited. I'm looking forward to when it finally releases on Netflix.

I mean of course I know hypothetically that could happen...I just don't think it will ;).

I care about every part of the MCU.

• Like 1

Not in 8 days Big Fresh.  Maybe in 9 days you will change your mind.  But on day 8...all bets are off!

Not in 8 days Big Fresh. Maybe in 9 days you will change your mind. But on day 8...all bets are off!

Well that's true. On April 10th and 11th, my life is all about Daredevil. I hate my friend for scheduling his wedding on the 11th.