DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

No, no, no, we've already compared Game of Thrones characters to Wrestlers, we don't need to start comparing footballers to Wrestlers as well. Because the obvious Ric Flair as George Best would only work if Flair drank himself to death, because he was depressed about Meltzer shagging Fufu. Which probably isn't going to happen.

Guest Edwin

Griezmann has been the best player in the Euro. It's hilarious how the Spanish media are pushing Bale and Cristiano (who hasn't done anything for Portugal) as the best 2 players in it.

Bale I can understand, but even then, Griezmann has just been great. His performance today against Iceland is a perfect example. A goal and 2 assists in the first half alone.

At this point France vs. Wales would be the best final. The local hometown heroes against the huge underdog with the hometown heroes winning 2-0.

9 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Sorry for the double post, but surely somebody screencapped the graphics for Iceland's lineup with nine of the eleven players carrying yellow cards from previous matches.

6127b2a63ecea392912bcda260777955_zpsgue8

• Like 1

On 04/07/2016 at 6:21 PM, Roman said:

Wales has my underdog sympathy.

Haven't met many Welsh people in real life, have you?

Vamos Portugal.

• Like 2

In would not be surprised to see Cristiano show up today helping Portugal secure a narrow win. Game will hopefully be upbeat, Portugal had entertaining matches and so had Wales.

France v Germany is tough to call. Löw and his crew made a point out of praising second string, but while I have huge faith in Höwedes doing a solid job, Khedira and especially Gomez leave huge voids to fill. Great setting for a huge implosion or a heroic performance on our part.

• Like 1

So, now the Bale vs Ronaldo talking point can be put to bed, let's get back to the Ronaldo vs Messi talking point... and ask, if Portugal win the final, does that make Ronaldo better than Messi, because he won something at international level like Pele and Maradona did? And in a way, it makes Messi look much worse because with the talent in the Argetina side, if they were a poker hand, they'd be a Royal Flush, where Ronaldo's Portugal is more a two pairs, Fives and Threes, Ace high.

England's much vaunted Golden Generation turned out to just be a pair of Eights, Seven high.

Argentina's back line is weak and I couldn't tell you the last top level Argentinian goalkeeper. Not sure where people get this "Argentina is overflowing with talent" thing I hear a lot, unless they are planning to play a 2-3-5 it's not really relevant to the players they have.

I file it next to "an African team will win the world cup soon, through magic and British people with magic foreign gandparents and stuff".

12 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Without Gomez, Germany is bonked. Only Deschamps can help you now.

Congratulations on making the final. Would have never called it, not in a thousand years.

Actually in the last tournament Germany started with a very weird formation (4 CBs, Lahm as CM) and Goetze as a false nine and slapped Portugal. On paper, Portugal will be underdogs whomever they'll play against. But they have a pretty good shot I'd think. And it might help them loads not to be odds on favourites.