DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

18 minutes ago, Roman said:

Let's go, Wales! I hope you brought your awesome, awesome fans with you! (Judging by everyone singing along to the national anthem, that seems to be the case... Fucking hell. Goosebumps. Actual goosebumps at such passionate singing.)

Well, it's the first chance they've had to sing at a Football tournament in their national history. More of a Rugby country though.

The Russians in the crowd charged the English fans at full time. Jesus Christ. First all the violence in Marseille the last couple of days (with two English fans still fighting for their lives, apparently), and then this. We don't need ISIS to fuck things up and scare the shit out of us and kill us.

Seems like it was an ugly day all round, outside and inside.

Must say, the pretty open booing/jeering of the Russian anthem in pre-game didn't exactly set the most festive mood.

I can't imagine dropping money to travel to a tournament like this to cause trouble. Some people are just hopeless.

Well, there was some vicious fighting between the Russians and the English hours before the match started, with some Russians reportedly having taken knives to the English, putting several of them in hospital, with two very seriously wounded (and one still fighting for his life). Booing the national anthem was probably a result of that.

Man, all this hooligan violence is really fucked up. France - and Europe in general - could use some carefree fun that brings all the nations together with all the terrorist bullshit... and instead we get this. Unbefuckinglievable. The photographs, footage and articles are really depressing.

Let's hope today will remain peaceful. Turkey/Croatia right now, followed by Poland/Northern Ireland and then Germany/Ukraine. I have a soft spot for Croatia since the 1998 World Cup, and I've always loved Germany. And Poland is, of course, the place where I was born, so it's impossible to not root for them.

UEFA has told Russia and England that they will toss them both if their fans don't get their shit together 

Nothing will come of it but there ya go

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

UEFA has told Russia and England that they will toss them both if their fans don't get their shit together 

Nothing will come of it but there ya go

Yeah not exactly sure how they could say that and enforce it...isn't this similar to the talk about the Cavs goating Green of GS into getting a tech so he has to sit out a game.

Marc Wilmots, Belgium's coach, said, 'Our fans always applaud the opponents' national anthem, which makes me very proud.' He must have a really short memory, because Belgium's fans have been booing the shit out of their opponents' national anthems for two years now. It's one of the many, many reasons I can't stand the Belgians: not too long ago they were losing at home to countries like Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan and nobody - almost literally nobody - was a fan of the national team anymore, but then we happened to stumble upon some decent players and all of a sudden Belgium is number one and everyone else sucks. So in misplaced arrogance, those 'success-only opportunity fans' began to attend matches and boo opponents to hell... Until pretty recently Wilmots made a public plea that was basically, 'Guys, stop being such horrid cunts and don't boo the opponents' anthems anymore. You suck.' And now this announcement. God, get me out of this country.

Germany vs Ukraine was quite the match. Ukrainian mothers will watch under their kids beds to make sure Manuel Neuer isn't lurking there. We didn't look like favourites for winning the title, but the squad showed some character and fought against a formidable opponent. Schweinsteiger's goal was a feel-good-moment for me.

• Like 3

They did in the second half though. I'm not a big fan of the 4-2-3-1 with no defensive midfielder/holding midfielder. Leaves the back 4 really vulnerable but German managers seem to prefer it. Klopp doesn't employ a defensively minded midfielder at Liverpool and it doesn't appear he's going after one. Even if/when Hummels returns, it would be very hard to drop Mustafi. Does Mustafi get pushed over to right back again?