DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

Anyone with proper ideas as to why the hell Group A and B get decided in evening matches on Sunday & Monday while C&D (Tuesday) aswell as E&F (Wednesday) are played in early evening & evening matches? I'd get it if it was all about having no breaks within the tournament, but there is a two day break between group stage and the beginning of the KO-stage.

I assume you're right, odessa. Monday game for England even makes Sense (albeit I'm sure the weird match-dates were fixed before the dran aside from France in group A). But wouldn't afternoon games work tremendously on Sunday? And why start the 18.00 games on Tuesday? 

Albania with their first win in a major tournament. Remote hope for them.

France dominate Switzerland and are yet lucky the ref misses a shirt-pull in the box in stoppage time. This could've lost them the group.

I really hope Russia doesn't win to advance tonight.

To be clear: Not even meant against them. But I had Albanian's circling around the block for hours, honking car horns and throwing around fireworks. And there is an even bigger Russian population around here.

• Like 1

I think Wales have sorted you out there with that first half performance. Could have got another one easily, but I thought they maintained a good level of composure having got the second goal. I think a few of the top teams would be quite happy thank you not to play Wales in the 2nd Round. Winner of the group probably gets Czech Republic and a fairly good shot at the Quarter Finals. C'mon Wales!

Thank, Wales. For granting me auf good night's rest. The highlights made it seem as if the Russian team imploded, players denying the captain's armband, but I was quite sure Akinfeew was no.2 in the squads hierarchy.

Talent captains: the English team did loose a lot of structure once he was subbed on. I don't expect him to be a miracle worker, but just putting your head down and running into a group of three opponents is never a great choice.

In Russia, the group stage goes out during you!

Never mind Russia, there's always the Olympi... no, wait never mind. Well, maybe at Wimbledon Sharapova could... no, no, can't bring that up. It's almost as if cheat really do never prosper.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

In Russia, the group stage goes out during you!

Never mind Russia, there's always the Olympi... no, wait never mind. Well, maybe at Wimbledon Sharapova could... no, no, can't bring that up. It's almost as if cheat really do never prosper.

hi-res-be707fe36df921575b1247e313ca1d75_

• Like 2

The Schadenfreude regarding Russian failure bit me in the arse. Turkey won and everyone acts like morons. They will most likely advance aswell. 1-0 win for Sweden, draw between Hungary and Portugal, win for Island or Austria please.

Croatia looked good. Spain looked very troubled defensively and their passing was off. Still weird to see them loose. If Italy plays a similar match like they did against Belgium, Spain will have a really bad time coming Monday. 

P.S.: Congrats N.Ireland on advancing. Would have never thought this would work out for them.

I thought Spain looked good in the first 10 minutes of the match but the rest of it was all Croatia and then some! The equalizer was coming for a while as Croatia had Spain pinned back for so long. When Sergio Ramos' penalty was saved I pretty much knew, the way football karma goes, that Croatia would probably end up winning though before the 2nd goal came for Croatia there was a stretch of 5 minutes were the game seemed to slow down and I thought maybe it would end in a draw. But no, well deserved win for Croatia. They were the better team for sure and deserved the 3 points and topping the group. I have felt for a while that France or Germany will eventually win this Euros so I never entertained Spain going too far into the knock out stages this go around. Facing Italy in the Round of 16, I think Italy will end up winning and la Furia Roja well be exiting soon which is fine. Excited to see how it all unfolds though! 

• Like 1