DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

You know that you've got a good draw if the press in all four countries is celebrating. This happened in group F (Portugal, Austria, Iceland & Hungary). I am sure I will hear & read the following old joke a hundred times until next summer: "What's on?" - "Football european championship." - "Who is playing?" - "Austria - Hungary." - "Against who?"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We got the actual albums in the shop last Thursday. At about 8pm, a guy (in his early to mid 20's, not a little kid) came in and asked if we sold the stickers. I said yes, there's a box here. How many packs in the box, he asks. One Hundred, I told him. How much is each pack? 50 pence.

He bought half the box. 50 packs. Twenty-Five pounds (about $36 USA). The day the albums came out.

• 1 month later...

England.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

If I were to speculate, I'd say Delph and Rashford are just making up the numbers and will be dropped before the final squad. 

Now, If I was Roy I'd get rid of Milner. Dier, Drinkwater, Henderson and Wilshere are enough in that position. 

You have to play him in the friendlies, just to see where he is. He's had basically no game time in the last season, he's just come back from a long injury, he's got no match fitness and... nobody knows how good he is, post-injury. But with the possibility he might still have it, he's worth looking at, to see what he's got right now.

Of course, if Roy was picking the team based on league form, he shouldn't be within ten foot of the England team, because he's not played. Having said that, Barkley's in there and Everton have been useless for months.

4 minutes ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but that aside, he's made of glass. Mark Noble would've been a better bet.

Do England have friendlies before the tournament? Would you risk Wilshere in them?

Absolutely. If he gets injured then bring in a back-up. Best to test him before the tournament before the final 23 is announced. I'd agree Noble deserved a chance, but I wouldn't take him over Wilshere. He'd be there instead of Milner or Delph, for me.

Probably Northern Ireland. But if you're a Scotland fan, the ROI and Wales are also your celtic brothers.

Kane is from London. Hence the Spurs (and Arsenal) fans chanting "He's one of our own" about him. Bale and Ramsey are Welsh.

• 2 weeks later...

Belgium's defense is falling apart. Fucking hateful because this means that the Belgians, after their crushing defeats, will say for decades, 'We would have won if these guys had been healthy.'

• Like 1