DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Slight spoilers for Flash 49

I am always a huge mark for whenever DC shows that Clark can't keep up with the Flashes if they are actually trying. "Those were for charity" was easily the best moment in the original Flash Rebirth mini, and Clark winding up panting and admitting be couldn't even get close to Wally and Barry is perfect.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

There have been a couple of excellent moments of inspirational heroism, and I guess I've liked the Daily Planet stuff more often than not, but Bendis' Man of Steel has not been good so far. 

I feel like I really like his voice for Clark and most of the Metropolis parts of the story, but Rogol Zaar is a shit character and "what if Krypton died because of genocide instead of a geological inevitability?" is a shit idea that dumb ppeople would propose. It feels weird to say, but I have more faith that Bendis can write Superman well than I have that he can write Superman stories.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I feel like I really like his voice for Clark and most of the Metropolis parts of the story, but Rogol Zaar is a shit character and "what if Krypton died because of genocide instead of a geological inevitability?" is a shit idea that dumb ppeople would propose. It feels weird to say, but I have more faith that Bendis can write Superman well than I have that he can write Superman stories.

I thought he had Cap's voice down too. 

So, it's looking like the DC Universe Streaming service is going to also have thousands of comics in a "curated collection" and it's supposed to be able to be read on mobile, PC, and TVs. So.... DC Unlimited yes please.

I don't know if they released a few days early or if my local Walmart just broke street, but I now have Batman Giant and Justice League Giant #1. They are standard comic book size, contain a bunch of in-house adds, mostly for related series, printed on a non-glossy paper that dulls the colors a bit* and the Batman book does have the comic store locator add as it's final page, though I didn't see the add anywhere flipping through the JL book, it's definitely not on the final page there.

I haven't read the original WW story yet, but Palmiotti's Batman story is quite good for the limited space. Enough that I definitely want to read the back half of it.

*The only direct comparison I made was to my copy of the original Hush vol 1 hardcover. I think, for Batman at least, the less saturated colors are an advantage, but I think it's likely I'll feel different on, say, The Flash if I go page to page comparison. Allegedly DC is moving fully to this paper stock going forward, at least for monthlies.

• Like 1

Apparently some Wal-Marts put all four out already. Unless Titans and Superman had already sold out, mine didn't. I did read Titans appeared more limited than the other three.

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently some Wal-Marts put all four out already. Unless Titans and Superman had already sold out, mine didn't. I did read Titans appeared more limited than the other three.

It's possible. Copies are up on eBay for $15 each so it's likely scalpers are at it.

32 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So far, based on the two Specials and the first couple issues of Justice League, there is nothing in New Justice that was worth losing the books we had before No Justice.

I disagree but that's mostly because Priest was never intended as a long term writer and if Snyder didn't take the reigns on the book, it would have been a shittier fill-in until Bendis took over and no thank you. 

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I disagree but that's mostly because Priest was never intended as a long term writer and if Snyder didn't take the reigns on the book, it would have been a shittier fill-in until Bendis took over and no thank you. 

That's fair. I probably should have said "all the books coming out now are less interesting to me than they were in March." I hit a brick wall of lack-of-interest on both the Titans books after the casts came out and the Specials, and beyond Priest on JL I really just miss JLA.  It's possible that once Odyssey and Dark drop I'll feel differently but so far a bunch of stuff I'd been enjoying is now either canned or on the bubble.

27 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

For those who want to be spoiled, the New York Times has an article about the Bat wedding.  And since the URL itself has a spoiler in it I won't post it here.

D'oh. Done by DC like they've done in the past before a big happening or legit cat out of the bag fuckup?

Ugh.  Not so much about the spoilers being out there, but about the specifics 

Spoiler

I was 50/50 on the wedding going ahead.  If they did get hitched, I expected DC to almost immediately reboot Batman somehow to undo it.

I really hate how King did it.  Selina breaking Bruce's heart in a fucking note is dumb.  And her reasoning, while valid, has been done to death to undo superhero relationships.  It's a trope.  If that was where King was going with the story, the story would have better for it if she had reached that conclusion earlier instead of waiting until the last possible minute and then leaving him at the altar.  But.... no doubt the wedding issue - and probably the "you can do this story, but they can't actually get married" were editorially-mandated.

I expected better of KIng. Very disappointed.  Hopefully, it reads better than it sounds in spoiler-form.

• Like 1

Just now, Player One said:

Same here.  Though I didn't love the Vision as much as most people.

How is Mister Miracle.  I trade-wait almost everything these days.  Trade doesn't come out till November.

I'm doing the same re Mister Miracle.

Looking at the spoilers its hard not to be disappointed with how they are ending the wedding stuff. I'm decently far behind since I read trades via library, but I've generally dug the Selina/Bruce stuff from King's run. I still need to finish Vision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Same here re: Batman.  Though I didn't love the Vision as much as most people.

How is Mister Miracle?  I trade-wait almost everything these days.  Trade doesn't come out till November.

It’s very weird. A great exercise in craft from both King and Gerards.

74453873_capture1.jpg 74453874_capture2.jpg

Okay, it's a new month. Hoopla has these three trades for METAL. 

1. Should I read them?

2. Given the fact I only get 10 books a month, do I need all three?

ETA: I decided to use my Hoopla slots this month to catch up on a bunch of current Batman, Flash, Detective, and Nightwing. Love those Deluxe editions, with 12-15 issues!

The question still remains, though: Does one only need to read the main Metal series, or are the other two books worth including?

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Ugh.  Not so much about the spoilers being out there, but about the specifics 

Reveal hidden contents

I was 50/50 on the wedding going ahead.  If they did get hitched, I expected DC to almost immediately reboot Batman somehow to undo it.

I really hate how King did it.  Selina breaking Bruce's heart in a fucking note is dumb.  And her reasoning, while valid, has been done to death to undo superhero relationships.  It's a trope.  If that was where King was going with the story, the story would have better for it if she had reached that conclusion earlier instead of waiting until the last possible minute and then leaving him at the altar.  But.... no doubt the wedding issue - and probably the "you can do this story, but they can't actually get married" were editorially-mandated.

I expected better of KIng. Very disappointed.  Hopefully, it reads better than it sounds in spoiler-form.

Spoiler

Not a bit surprised at that result. Some status quos just aren't going to be allowed to be shifted. 

Still, if all we got out of it was the special with the Joker taking over that guy's house while waiting for a wedding invitation, then it was worth it. :)