DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Did anyone else see the GIANT bug on James' shoulder after he scored that?

d5f71c44496c4896729291b393d8459a_zpse714

James was just given a yellow card for touching a sacred Brazilian bug.

Oh, FIFA.  Never change.

It depresses me that new generation Brazil are now just niggly, dirty, fouling stop-the-other-dudes-playing-rather-than-playing-ourselves asshats like everyone else. Them and Germany in the semis might just be 90 minutes of shitty stoppages and rolling around and holding faces when they get kicked on the shin and on and on.

I mean, Jesus, the fuck did the likes of Oscar/Hulk/Fred contribute tonight? Referee also had exactly zero testicles and, in the end, Brazil just...won. For whatever reason I refuse to change my stance that David Luiz is pretty much detestable too. They're pretty much certain to still stumble over the line and end up winning the whole thing though.

That being said, their national anthem is still pretty sweet.

The Brazilians have been a "not-so-nice-to-watch" squad pretty constantly since the 2000s. It´s no wonder this doesn´t change with Scolari, a guy who has always been a guy to get good results. Of course there are still flashes of brilliance, but it´s mostly hard working and destructive football.

I have a feeling we are playing that type of footie aswell right now. It seems it is not so much a"let´s get out and roll with it" type of deal like it was four years ago. While I think the match Germany v France was no classic, it was a nice defensive display. We should have done better with our breaks and should have gotten a second about ten minutes from time. Could have come back to haunt us when Benzema came really close in the dying minutes of injury time. Tough match and gladly taking the win. Oezil looked incredibly horrible for a guy with his technical and passing abilities. He´s having a horrendous World Cup and I feel really sorry for him, simply because I really like that kid.

Re Zheroen - Mueller - Robben comparison: Like every other player Mueller does unsportsmanlike thing that is diving. Blaming Pepe´s sent off in Germany vs Portugal on Mueller diving / making the most of being struck in the nose is just off though. Pepe got sent off for being Pepe right under the referee´s nose. And unlike Robben, he didn´t get a penalty for his (ridiculous) attempt today. For what it´s worth (I haven´t seen the game btw) all the Germans I trust with their football knowledge thought Robben´s "dive" was helped by the fact that it was a really uncautious challenge and would have been a penalty hadn´t he jumped and evaded the tackkle. I don´t like Robben, but for way other reasons than the occasional dive or theatrics.
And since when has it ever been cool liking Germany, especially in regards to footie? Is there any other footballing nation that receives more Schadenfreude after losses than we do? ;)

Re Zheroen - Mueller - Robben comparison: Like every other player Mueller does unsportsmanlike thing that is diving. Blaming Pepe´s sent off in Germany vs Portugal on Mueller diving / making the most of being struck in the nose is just off though. Pepe got sent off for being Pepe right under the referee´s nose. And unlike Robben, he didn´t get a penalty for his (ridiculous) attempt today. For what it´s worth (I haven´t seen the game btw) all the Germans I trust with their football knowledge thought Robben´s "dive" was helped by the fact that it was a really uncautious challenge and would have been a penalty hadn´t he jumped and evaded the tackkle. I don´t like Robben, but for way other reasons than the occasional dive or theatrics.

And since when has it ever been cool liking Germany, especially in regards to footie? Is there any other footballing nation that receives more Schadenfreude after losses than we do? ;)

The majority of "neutral" supporters online seem to be favoring Germany as the European team they want to do well.  OTOH, the Dutch are villified as the new masters of the dark arts on the international scene, because Robben dives, Nigel De Jong kicked Xabi Alonso four years ago, and Mark van Bommel used to feature for them.  Whatever.

Never stated that Pepe didn't deserve to be sent off, but what initially caused the red mist to descend upon him (rather easily though it may have been) was the initial feigning beforehand - notice how Müller sprang up instantly to confront Pepe after the headbutt, forgetting about how hurt he was just a few seconds beforehand.  And there are plenty of reasons to dislike Robben, but the harping (particularly in the media) on his propensity to go to ground while looking away at other players who do the same is fairly annoying.

I think if you win a game 4-0, it´s easier to say stuff like that. A headbutt is a headbutt, and a headbutt is a sent off according to the rules and for my liking. Mueller got hit in the face and sat down holding said face, which is not better or worse than any footballer in the same situation. I think calling him a bad diver doesn´t really cope with how - as you said - he jumped right up after a headbutt, no play-acting etc in that instant. The dive yesterday was a pretty dumb thing to do though, there I totally agree.

I think the vilification of the Dutch and the attributes you mention - apart from the fact that I can´t see it in my personal surroundings or in German media - could be somewhat tracked back to that final you mentioned from 2010. I think it is ridiculous, but it is a pretty common thing to refer to weird stuff that happened in the past. To give an example, the Germans have had a tournament where in THREE GAMES IN A ROW people were talking about shit that happened in 1982, a World Cup year where two out of 23 of our players weren´t even born.

Re the Dutch: I, for my part, see it as Louis van Gaal said it himself. The Dutch aren´t the best team in the world, but they are incredibly tough to beat. And since in this cup no one has performed as if they were the best team in the world, they are in a pretty good spot to win the whole thing. Their players up front are incredibly skilled and lethal in front of goal, and they seem to have caught a really good break with their opponents. Surely you shouldn´t underestimate any opponent at that stage of the tournament, but they have shown the abilitiy to get the job done. If anything, the people I know, especially after the opener against Spain, tend to overhype the Dutch class and skill this World Cup. Almost everyone praising them forgets how they played versus Australia (presumably against Mexico aswell, but as I said, I haven´t seen that match) and claims them to be having a perfect campaign up until now. 

I do tend to follow and discuss football online mainly through The Guardian and a few other UK-based websites (since the very little Dutch I learned from grandmother barely counts as rudimentary if I'm being kind), so that could contribute to my frustration with the hyperbolic nature of the media and their unwillingness to veer from previously decided narratives.  The English-language websites that focus on Dutch football I follow have reacted more with pleasant surprise and now quiet optimism over the Oranje's progress, especially since there was just SO much pessimism before the tournament began, especially with the lackluster friendly performances (when LvG was tinkering with the 5-3-2 formation).  Then the 5-1 win against Spain happened, and everything was turned on its head.

For the record, I have no real objection to Müller as a player.  I was just using him as an example to communicate my frustration with how Robben has been castigated as the premier diver/dirty player in football (some corners maintaining that he's worse than Suarez because his "dive" sent the unfortunate Mexicans home), when he's not really that different from every other player, as you said.

I'm very nervous about the Costa Rica match today.  If the Ticos come out of the blocks pressing and linking up the way they did against Italy, the Dutch could be in for a rough time.  De Jong might be out of the match as well, so it could require a reversion to 4-3-3 with Blind acting as a DM.  I'd definitely like to see Depay get a chance to start a match, he's provided a dynamic lift to the squad every time he's made an appearance by opening up space in the center with his play cutting in from the left wing (he's also quite the free kick taker).

I realize that given the depth in the game participation medals at the world cup mean very little now. But honestly looking at Australia's group I think you might have backed them not to score a single goal at this tournament and all things considered they actually played pretty damn well.

I realize that given the depth in the game participation medals at the world cup mean very little now. But honestly looking at Australia's group I think you might have backed them not to score a single goal at this tournament and all things considered they actually played pretty damn well.

Didn´t want to knock Australia with my comment, DFA. They indeed performed well and were a tad unlucky in their first two matches.

Zheroen, I´ve had my fair share of trouble with British tabloid media coverage of football aswell, at least from an informative pov. I think even most English fans don´t take them seriously. But I love me some fun nonsense The Sun headlines, they can be really entertaining. The English have been strange when it comes to "diving" for many years, especially when it comes to the judgement of what an actual dive is.

As for the Holland match, I totally get what you mean. Being in the odds-on favourite role has been tough this World Cup. Costa Rica are now pushovers, even if I consider Holland the superior site. They can make games tough, especially if they have an opponent who has to make stuff happen offensively. But against Chile, the Dutch showed they are capable of playing from a stable defense and score from set pieces - which will eventually come - and are lethal and quick as lightning on the break. I´m quite sure they will win this one.

Since we are four six games away from finishing the 2014 World Cup, I wanted to add up the goal tally I made before the KO-stages. Despite a considerably less amount of scoring since the beginning of the knockout stages, we are at 160 goals as of now. This is one goal short of the overall scoring of 2002 and eleven goals away from the highest overall scoring record in 32-team World Cups which happened in France 1998.

Big Phil is saying they were out to get Neymar and he's been hunted for the last 3 matches which is ironic considering Paulinho and Fernandinho were both sent out to a number on Rodriguez last night. I had thought they might stumble over the line but can't see them getting past the Germans now. If they were to go all the way though and because it was a debate on the BBC, would Brazil be the worst winners in history? 

I've personally only witnessed 5 previous winners (including two Brazil teams) but this Brazil is definately worse than all of them. 

Guest Edwin

Glad Pipita finally scored. Univision commentators were on his case for lack of goals in the WC.

Argentina has such an amazing team that just hasn't played up to their expected potential though.

Glad Pipita finally scored. Univision commentators were on his case for lack of goals in the WC.

Argentina has such an amazing team that just hasn't played up to their expected potential though.

I remember thinking -- and obviously my analysis and impression is far from expert -- back in 2010 in the game they were eliminated, that their attacks looked like Messi alone/Messi trying to make something happen by himself, and/or that the rest of the team was kinda waiting for him to get the offense started rather than starting it/help start it themselves, even though they're good players capable of providing the spark themselves.

Without having consideration for tactics/roles (obviously SOMEBODY has to be The Playmaker) and whether my thought is actually valid I always tend to think of this whenever people get on Argentina for not being as awesome as they're expected/hoped to be.

And conversely that early goal had me thinking "okay, they're not doing that this time.  Team Play, rather than relying on trying to get away with Messi +10"

Also their expectations are really really high too, like "Anything less than Championship = Failure" sorta stuff.