DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:53 AM, J.H. said:

Crunchy Roll has all of Galaxy Express 999 and both Harlock TV shows available streaming w/ subs

James

If only I could find Space Battleship Yamato (or to a lesser extent Starblazers) on a streaming service.

Edited by Justin877

3 hours ago, Justin877 said:

If only I could find Space Battleship Yamato (or to a lesser extent Starblazers) on a streaming service.

The remake is on Viz service I believe. It ain't terrible

James

5 hours ago, Justin877 said:

I've watched a lot of Goblin Slayer and Rise of the Shield Hero does that make me a bad person?

No it doesn't. It makes you a man of culture. Don't listen to the fucktards on Twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Justin877 said:

FWIW the remake is on Funimation and Crunchy. The original used to be on Amazon Prime but is currently unavailable.  I get the impression that Voyager is a pain and 3/4 to work rights deals with...

• Like 1

The 17 year old has inflicted That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime on the wife and I, and we're bonding with him so we watch. It's fairly harmless until you realize it's part of a bigger genre (I did not know this for I am out of touch), of people getting reincarnated in games where they are generally all powerful. And not in that Kenshin way where he can theoretically beat everyone but the hook is whether or not he can continuously save everyone around him without breaking his vow not to kill, or anything like that. 

Eva, to me, always felt like a major pastiche of the genre of shonen which was basically training young Japanese boys to someday carry the weight of the world on their shoulders as wage employees that dominated a lot of the 80s and 90s. 

That this Isekai stuff is so dominant now just makes me feel old. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

The 17 year old has inflicted That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime on the wife and I, and we're bonding with him so we watch. It's fairly harmless until you realize it's part of a bigger genre (I did not know this for I am out of touch), of people getting reincarnated in games where they are generally all powerful. And not in that Kenshin way where he can theoretically beat everyone but the hook is whether or not he can continuously save everyone around him without breaking his vow not to kill, or anything like that. 

Eva, to me, always felt like a major pastiche of the genre of shonen which was basically training young Japanese boys to someday carry the weight of the world on their shoulders as wage employees that dominated a lot of the 80s and 90s. 

That this Isekai stuff is so dominant now just makes me feel old. 

Isekai with author self-insertion leads are all the rage right now. Doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon. 

I've read essays about how manipulative something like Ender's Game is for targeting a certain young precocious male with alienation issues. This seems to not even try to hide it (though we're talking about an art form with the harem trope, so...). 

For Fuck's sake Funimation, it's not that fucking hard to get a GOOD singer to do an english version of Ultimate Battle recorded in an actual studio instead of whatever the fuck you recorded for the DBS 116 dub.  Damn they did EVERYTHING RIGHT with the episode except for that.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I've read essays about how manipulative something like Ender's Game is for targeting a certain young precocious male with alienation issues. This seems to not even try to hide it (though we're talking about an art form with the harem trope, so...). 

We all enjoyed Slime but that first episode was walking around and he was like "I'm a good looking 35 year old virgin, oh no I'm ded", I was like "I don't know if I can do this."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 4:03 AM, dogwelder said:

He also announced that the original Akira movie is getting a 4K remaster, a brand new anime version of Akira, and a new film with Sunrise called Orbital Era.

Based on what was said about the panel, it sounds like they are adapting the AKIRA manga over again and explore more of what was shown in the manga but not in the film. 

Not sure if this is going to basically be AKIRA/FMA Brotherhood style, but that's the impression I was given. 

Hopefully, whatever it is, doesn't go the way of EVANGELION Rebuild.

Edited by TheVileOne

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hopefully, whatever it is, doesn't go the way of EVANGELION Rebuild.

Doubtful, since Otomo actually appreciates his fanbsae and doesn't treat them like they're idiots and he is some enfsnt terrible artiste

James

20 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Doubtful, since Otomo actually appreciates his fanbsae and doesn't treat them like they're idiots and he is some enfsnt terrible artiste

James

Otomo was there at Anime Expo at least. Dude is still a workhorse at 65. He seemed really excited and motivated. I'm curious though if he will actually direct the new AKIRA project or take more of an executive producer role. Since he's already doing ORBITAL ERA as his next film. 

I mean Akira is his baby, but I think Executive Producer/storyconsultant would be his key role. I swear the only thing that could make me happier with Sunrise is if they relaunch the Brave Robot Series

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the first episode for Season 2 of DanMachi. But yeesh, has it really been four years since the first season? 

I mean looks like they didn't cheep out on Season 2, but man waiting four years for a new season of animation is getting brutal.

Not sure what to make of Apollo yet, not having read the books. But he seems like he might have some promise as a villain.

Edited by TheVileOne