DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, Eivion said:

I'm only familiar with Boichi's Sun-Ken Rock, but i did like the first episode of Dr. Stone. Will watch episode 2 later tonight.

You might also like Kengan Ashura, which just debuted on Netflix. Watched the first few episodes. Animation is a mixed bag because it uses that cel-shaded CG style. Then they clearly mix in what is clearly traditional 2D animation in there for some transitional beats. But it's like over-the-top martial arts absurdity, like Baki the Grappler.

Wrestling fans will also probably like this show. In episode 3 the main guy fights a pro wrestler, and he does some rolling Germans, a Torture Rack and even some knife edge chops mixed in.

Finally finished Grancrest Senki. I generally liked it despite what was skipped and the plot being rather overwrought. At least it has an actual ending and a positive romantic pairing without lots of BS, similar to Chivalry of a Failed Knight. Honestly though, Lassik was probably the most interesting character in that whole story, and he usually had the best fight scenes. That cyclops fight was insane.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:32 AM, TheVileOne said:

Wrestling fans will also probably like this show. In episode 3 the main guy fights a pro wrestler, and he does some rolling Germans, a Torture Rack and even some knife edge chops mixed in.

Yeah, watched the trailer the other day, and saw clips of that fight to perk my interest into watching.

Happy to see the wrestler survive.

I have to admit I was a little turned off at first when seeing it was CG, but I could tell it’s the same team that did the amazing JoJo intros, and they clearly put the same care that they did with JoJo. I’m loving it so far. 

But on the story of the show...

For those who’ve finished the first 13 episodes, and read the manga, is the Japanese salaryman’s connection with the shows fighting protagonist some sort of Fight Club twist? The intro looks like it hints at that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Has anyone been watching Carole & Tuesday?

I totally overlooked it because I thought it was yet another idol anime but I heard it's from the Cowboy Bebop peeps.

I have not. But not only is it from Watanabe, but it’s also apparently set in Bebop’s post-astral gate accident timeline setting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turk128 said:

Cop Craft so far is really good. It's kinda like Alien Nation but urban fantasy.

I got roped in because of Range Murata's character designs reminding me of the Last Exile, thinking it was the same studio.

Its been so long since I saw anything Alien Nation so I ended up comparing it more to that Netflix movie, Bright. So far its pretty solid..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, watched the trailer the other day, and saw clips of that fight to perk my interest into watching.

Hide contents

Happy to see the wrestler survive.

I have to admit I was a little turned off at first when seeing it was CG, but I could tell it’s the same team that did the amazing JoJo intros, and they clearly put the same care that they did with JoJo. I’m loving it so far. 

But on the story of the show...

Hide contents

For those who’ve finished the first 13 episodes, and read the manga, is the Japanese salaryman’s connection with the shows fighting protagonist some sort of Fight Club twist? The intro looks like it hints at that.

From what I can tell:

No. The manga never gets that twisty. They do have a close bond, and Ohma does help make Yamashita into a more confident individual.

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

From what I can tell:

Reveal hidden contents

No. The manga never gets that twisty. They do have a close bond, and Ohma does help make Yamashita into a more confident individual.

Yeah, it looks that way now. It just felt feels like this supporting adds nothing to the story currently that I thought because of the underground fighting premise that they would have a twist for this meekly character.

I’m on episode 8 right now, and it got underway real quick, and turns out...

That the first arc is an outright ripoff of Yu Yu Hakusho’s Dark Tournament Arc, without the supernatural bent.

• Like 1

I thought having this old single father in his mid 50s as a co-protagonist was at least sort of original for this type of story. Though in many ways, he is a lot like Komatsu in Toriko, just like 30 years older. I especially like how Ohma unwittingly gets Yamashita to turn down free stock shares of Panasonic. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Probably is a more justifiable protagonist in the Manga, because right now he feels like a holdover that the show director was told needed to stay in. He actually sort of reminds me of the Kinnikuman commentators, and comic relief supporting cast that were added in to fill in time to the anime. 

BTW, I don’t care for the fighting protagonist(Ohma) either. He’s currently one of the most bland lead fighting anime characters, and least interesting character in this series. Kaneda(The chess player) might be my personal fav, with the best fight in the first half of the series(Vs. the Jeet Kune Do practitioner).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Just got out of the Fathom Ghibli Fest screening of Whisper of the Heart. God damn but that movie is a warm hug.

Fuck yeah! I went to this as well and it was:

A) such a tremendous thing to see a classic Ghibli movie in theatres

B) way, WAY better than I remember. Even for a Ghibli movie this was beautifully sentimental. It's now in my top 3 for Ghibli movies behind Nausicaa and Omohide Poro Poro. I first watched it probably 15 years ago and mostly remembered it as "that one with the Country Road cover?" It is now so much more meaningful and takes up such a bigger spot in my heart after seeing it. 

I'm so disappointed I missed Nausicaa earlier this year but I don't go to the theatres usually more than once a year. I saw the sign for this in the theatre while I was watching Godzilla a second time and have since purchased tickets for the rest of the showings. Just got home from Kiki's Delivery Service and it too is way better than I remember but still in that secondary grouping of Ghibli movies (which is still at that classic level for me). I've been listening to the OST for the past couple of weeks in anticipation. Those two Yumi Arai songs are so fucking perfect for that movie.

Hardly anybody is attending these sadly, so I don't know if we'll be getting this again. How often do they do these festivals?

Dirty Pair is fantastic and totally worthwhile, just fon'y go in looking for some long narrative. It is episodic and needs to be. It is the best anime inspired by pro-wrestling ever!

James

4 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Dirty Pair is fantastic and totally worthwhile, just fon'y go in looking for some long narrative. It is episodic and needs to be. It is the best anime inspired by pro-wrestling ever!

James

More than Wanna-Bes ? ? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that'd be it.  The people basically equating the jokes (which shouldn't really have been recorded and even then the VO's should've been known better) with shit Mignogna's been accused of.

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, that'd be it.  The people basically equating the jokes (which shouldn't really have been recorded and even then the VO's should've been known better) with shit Mignogna's been accused of.

Its been rather annoying whenever I read an update about the Vic situation because the obsessed fans he has.

Not listened to the audio, but hearing what its about I'm not sure how anyone involved thought that was a good idea. Do that shit in private w/o recordings.

Most of the recordings were during warm up sessions on the original Funi dubs 16 years ago after Funi took over from Ocean.  Why those recordings still exist, who the fuck knows?  But it's neat seeing Vic's fans blow up about this while downplaying the shit he did.

However, rumblings are that Toei is not pleased.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1