DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

The thing is he isn't a robot. He has his own thoughts & opinions and does give them out. He just has a blind trust of Orga and is a bit cold/blunt in general. As far as him killing the guy mid-sentence. I'm pretty sure he was just done listening to the dude's bs.

Gundam The Origin II - Artesia's Sorrow gives you more Sayla Mass than you probably need but she is one of those Gundam characters who gets overshadowed by her bug bad brother. Speaking of Char's we get to see his darkside develop/paranoia develop. Still has all the political intrigue of The Origin Part I, just lighter on the action.

James

Today is Osamu Tezuka's birthday, creator of Astroboy, Kimba the Whtie Lion, and Unico.  He would have been 87 years old today.

I must be the only guy in the world who actually sat through the nearly two hour runtime of Cleopatra: Queen of Sex.  One of the must unintentionally hilarious things I have ever seen.

Iron Blooded Orphans only took 6 episodes for Mikazuki to show some actual emotion and development.

No idea why Kudelia is fawning all over him though.  

Orga's a craft motherfucker though.  

• 2 weeks later...

Recently dived into Seraph of the End and really enjoying it.  Interesting scenario for the apocalypse.  So it seems that humanity might have released the deadly virus, and then the vampires used that opportunity to take control of the Earth.  Solid characters, and the animation and movement is actually quite fun.  Shinoa is a really entertaining female lead.  She's very cunning and mischievous.  I like that the only way to fight vampires is by using demons.  An interesting new take on vampirism for anime.

I sort of get what they are going for in making the vampires somewhat empathetic.  From our perspective, they are very cruel.  And some of them are cruel.  But, they simply view themselves as higher lifeforms and we are their food source, just like cows and farm animals are for us, hence humans being called their livestock.

Watched the first Digimon Adventures tri movie and really enjoyed it despite some flaws in the story and art.  And my two biggest questions about the whole series (what the hell happened to Adventure 02 gang and whether the PSP retelling of Adventure 01 is canon) might be answered by the leaked art for the second movie.

Yeah thisI know but how are the movies tying into the Digimon Adventure tri TV series? Will the TV series end on a cliffhanger and conclude with the movies? Will the movies just retell the currently running tri TV series or will it be a new story altogether?

James

Oh, I totally misunderstood your question.  There is no new TV series.  tri is planned for being a six film series, which really pissed off a sizable group of the Digimon fandom when it was announced earlier this year.

The reason why it shows up on Crunchyroll as episodes is that either CR or Toei decided to split it up like that.

So IBO is about a third of the way through (if it's still being planned for just two cours) and I'm still not sure what to think of it.  It has all the typical traits of a Gundam show, but it just doesn't feel like it wants to be one IMO.  It also doesn't help that Mikazuki is still just 'there' and that much of the characterization is for Orga, Kudelia, and to a lesser extent Biscuit.  For the supposed main character of the series he really is almost an empty slate.

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a new Berserk anime this summer from Studio 4C, who did the three movies from a couple years ago. They've said this will adapt the Black Swordsman arc, although the promotional image they put out with the announcement is very clearly from Lost Children. Maybe they will do another three movie thing, with movie one being Black Swordsman, movie two being Lost Children and movie three being Conviction? 

There will be a new Berserk anime this summer from Studio 4C, who did the three movies from a couple years ago. They've said this will adapt the Black Swordsman arc, although the promotional image they put out with the announcement is very clearly from Lost Children. Maybe they will do another three movie thing, with movie one being Black Swordsman, movie two being Lost Children and movie three being Conviction? 

It seems as good a time as any to do some new animation considering the fact that:

Guts and his new party finally made it off the fucking boat and are finally at Elfheim!  Like 15 years later.  Like I was still in high school when they are like, "Yeah, let's go to Elfheim!"

Well Miura isn't gettign any younger and his hiatuses are more frequent so the Berserk manga moves at a snails pace these days

Gundam THUNDERBOLT  Episode 1 is out and it is gorgeous. If this, The Origin and Iron Blooded Orphans don't turn things around for the franchise Bandai has said we're getting more stuff like Build Fighters. That is the last thing any of us want. If the 2 current projects can reignite the fanbase then there is hope. I've loved IBO and Thunderbolt and The Origin. I just hope enough people watch all of them.

James