DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

So, GARO's only on Funimation.  How bad are the ads, since I'm not getting another account for another anime site, especially one that won't work on my PS3.

And, I assume fansub is the only way I can watch Reconguista in G, right?

So, GARO's only on Funimation.  How bad are the ads, since I'm not getting another account for another anime site, especially one that won't work on my PS3.

Can't say but there's a few groups that are still fan subbing it anyways if you want to go that route. I've been watching it via the horriblesubs (fansub group)  releases that are popping up on Nyaa. Pretty quick turn around of usually just 1 or 2 days. 

I think people are putting them up on youtube too if you wanna go the streaming route instead. 

So, GARO's only on Funimation.  How bad are the ads, since I'm not getting another account for another anime site, especially one that won't work on my PS3.

And, I assume fansub is the only way I can watch Reconguista in G, right?

You can watch GARO on hulu which can be seen on the PS3. That is how I've been watching it though It is a week behind. Doesn't bother me much because I was already due to other stuff I've been watching.

And yes on Reconguista.

Got a 2 week trial for Crunchyroll and I'm loving Survival Game Club. Since it's getting a Funi dub though, I think I'll just wait until then to marathon it.

Sabagebu!  Much, much, much better than the other survival game club show from last year (Stella Woman's Academy).

On an anime kick.  Planning to watch several shorter shows, then start marathoning either Bleach or Inu/yasha.  Not really a fan of fighting shows that go on for a few hundred eps. but I mostly enjoy both shows and have never seen the end arcs of either.  I marathoned InuYasha before Final Act came out, so I've never watched Final Act even though I own it.  Same deal with Bleach.  I marathoned it awhile back, when they'd only dubbed 190 episodes.  Started watching a fansub when I ran out of English dubs, but tapped out about ep, 310.  By the time I got to the end of the Aizen arc, it'd become a slog.  Still haven't watched the last two arcs.

Watching Sword Art Online.  Not digging it so far (7 episodes in), but I'll stick with it.  There seems to be no real sense of urgency about how much real world time is passing while they're trapped in the game, or about the (large) number of people who have died thus far.  Reminds me a lot of .hack//sign, but I liked .hack a lot more after seven episodes.

K/K-Project is next up.  May finally watch all the Darker than Black series after that.

Started watching the Ghost in the Shell: Arise OVAs.  I was kind of putting them off.  I had some trepidation for the new animation because I had grown quite fond of Stand Alone Complex.  Arise isn't bad so far.  Rather than a prequel, I just see it as a total reboot AU of the story.  I still prefer the interpretation of the characters that was in Stand Alone Complex, but Arise at least deals with the characters in interesting new ways.  For example, Kusanagi dealing with the fact that her body is the property of the government, and they regulate her every move.

Caught up with Gundam Build Fighters Try. While I hate that the schools are involved, at least Sekai, Hoshino, and Sekai's sister are interesting and fun enough to disregard it. Also, Ral is still fucking aces. Wish they'd line up a real good fight for him in this series since we got denied that last time due to Fellini turning Reiji into an absolute beast so quickly.

Watching Sword Art Online.  Not digging it so far (7 episodes in), but I'll stick with it.  There seems to be no real sense of urgency about how much real world time is passing while they're trapped in the game, or about the (large) number of people who have died thus far.  Reminds me a lot of .hack//sign, but I liked .hack a lot more after seven episodes.

It gets addressed, but part of SAO's 1st arc issues are that it took a while to address Some of the larger issues, and they didn't do a real good job pushing that this particular MMO was harder than anything else, and people are gunshy about jumping into stuff because of the perm-death.  (ie, in a normal MMO, all 100 floors would've been cleared by now because Bosses would've been rushed, because who cares about dying?)

That said, if you don't like the first arc, the second will be real hard to get through.  But the GGO arc is great.

So, I'm watching Log Horizon, which is another "Trapped in an MMO" show.  My only real issue with it 8 episodes in is that no one really seems concerned to figure out why they're trapped.

But no perm deaths and a bigger cast.

Yeah, that's a problem with Log Horizon, and it continues in season 2.  I really like it, especially the opening, but a lot of the later episodes seems to boil down to Shiro out-thinking everyone while not even really trying to figure out what's actually going on.

Log Horizon isn't about getting out so much as trying to living in the new world. If you were expecting the same plot you got from SAO you will be disappointed. I like both shows quite a bit myself and am happy they are so different in that regard.

Up through ep 43 of FOTNS, the furthest i've ever made it in any of my attempts to watch the series. Behind all the over the top violence there really is a great story to be had. Also...happy he never ended up fighting Rei and Kenshiro has a posse now. 

You never watched Cowboy Beebop?  Get thee to somewhere to watch it now!.

Then watch Outlaw Star.  Not as good a Beebop, but plenty fun for another Space Cowboy show that came out the same time.

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed Outlaw Star more than Cowboy Bebop, for what it's worth.  Though I think Bebop is actually the better show from a technical standpoint.

In current anime, I've given up on Sword Art Online after not watching an ep since sometime last week.  Just.  Don't.  Care.  It goes back on the pile.  I'll watch it eventually, but not for awhile.

Will probably start K/K-Project tonight.

So I've found that I really enjoy Log Horizon much more than Sword Art Online.  I think its because of the different dynamic of the characters (and I think Kirito's Harem got old after a bit). Yeah, the Log Horizon characters are more dynamic and entertaining than the SAO ones.

And Lord of Light was this last episode of  Akame ga Kill! fucking depressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Its official.

Akame ga Kill! is the Game of Thrones of Anime.

But holy shit these last couple episodes.  And I'm sad that its over next week.

EDIT: And I made a great call the past few weeks to watch Fairy Tail *AFTER* Akame ga Kill!

So... I innocently started watching InuYasha: the Final Act via Adult Swim's On Demand channel.  Then it dawned on me that I had never watched TFA even though I own it.  Then I remembered that I had probably never finished the original InuYasha series (tapped out somewhere around ep 136).  

So, yeah, I'm now marathoning InuYasha from the beginning.  Not sure what the deal is with this show.  I'm never really thought it was an exceptional show and I'm not a fan of the genre (or of the "let's keep the show going for hundreds of episodes" movement.  26-60 episodes is a good length for an anime).  But I find InuYasha compulsively watchable.  Hmm..