DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Wait... Urusei Yatsura Movie 6?

That is the one to avoid.

However the OVA s are all good fun. Of course I recommend "Welcome To The NHK" because it is a fun mind fuck of a show. Not Paranoia Agent level of cuked up mind you but still messed up

James

Live Evil fansubs has been working on it since fucking 2006 and they just released ep 15 a month ago

If you search around Nyaa someone else decided to start subbing where they left off and are up to I believe ep 18. Not entirely sure of the status/quality for their releases though 

LE did complete the Queen Millenia movie a while back though and i'd highly reccomend that. 

Wait... Urusei Yatsura Movie 6?
That is the one to avoid.

Haha, I started it last night but then got sleepy so only watched the 1st 15 mins. Will finish it later today. It started out well enough at least.

Yeah, I was looking at bouncing from Hulu to Crunchyroll for that. So weird how cr are missing that chunk.

Its because of the release on Netflix.  Funi's got a deal with Netflix that keeps it there.  So Netflix has up to 48 right now, so anything after 49 is fine.  CR's the only one that's got the new eps because of how they roll.  Chances are, once Netflix puts up the next 50 eps, 13-48 will hit CR again and 49-whatever will dissappear for a while.

I would watch it on CR though, because Hulu's free players are fucking annoying.

As far as Urusei Yatsura movies go your best bets are movies 1, 2 and 5. 3 is ok but Lum The Forever is nigh incomprehensible!

James

5 might be my favorite of all. Reminds me that i've never seen the subed version of Beautiful Dreamer oddly enough, just the dubbed one that used to air back in the good old Sci Fi channel anime days. Should prob knock that out sometime soon then too since I own a copy. 

Anyways, finished movie 6 and honestly I liked it a lot. I know it's always had a bad rep with some but I think it's undeserved. It was made as an anniversay special and with those all you really want is to see all your old favorite characters brought back for some nostalgic fun and this felt like a UY greatest hits performance. Sure there's been deeper/better written/funnier/crazier stories through out the franchise but to me this holds up and the base plot is something that would have fit right in during the middle of the series hey day. 

It was also part of a double bill with the first Ranma 1/2 movie "Chinese Dream". Still if I had to pick 1 UY movie to watch for the rest of my life I'd have to flip a coin between Only You and Beautiful Dreamer

James

Xfinity also has a sizeable Funimation OnDemand queue but damned if I can make heads or tails of it.

Doesn't really matter because full seasons of the stuff I love like Last Exile is on the YouTubes.

And thank God for Adult Swim OnDemand.  I have finally figured out what the fuck is going on in BLEACH.

Finished Rewatching L-Gaim  and hot damn does that show hold up well. I mean sure Nagano salvaged the whole story for Junchoon/Colus arc for The Five star Stories but can you blame him?

Now I'm 10 episode deep into J-Decker, this was one of the better Brave Robot shows (along with Fighbrid and, of course, GaoGaiGar). Blatant toy commercial? Sure! Tonsof fun to watch? Damn straight!

I mean its got Cop Robot Detective, a Kung-Fu Robot Detective, a Ninja Robot Detective and a Wrestler Robot Detective (and even more robot detectives than that!) How can you not LOVE this show?

James

I need to watch L-Gaim one of these days, but I started watching SPT Layzner before it.

Is Layzner fully subbed yet? If so that's def jumping to the top of my watch next pile.Votoms & Fang of the Sun Dougram are 2 of my favorite shows ever to Layzner is high on my wish list.

I liked L-Gaim for the most part but a while back I went on a big kick of watching as many non Gundam shows that Tomino had anything to do with from the 70's through 80's and I thought L-Gaim was one of the weaker ones. 

Ideon, Vifam & Dunbine were all better to me. 

Started back up watching Go Lion (Voltron) and HOLY SHIT I forgot how dark this damn show is with the whippings and torture and goddess' of hell feeding on the souls of the damned and what not....

oGMNcN.jpg

XHIsAQ.jpg

HAMWwX.jpg

It's been a long time since there's been a toy-related post in this thread, but this past week's Chara Hobby show makes me want to highlight a couple of toys they announced at the show (more pics can be found here, here, and here.

Bandai announced a new Metal Robot Damashii line, basically an upgraded Damashii line with metal parts.  The first one in the line: the Hi-Nu Gundam from the Beltorchika's Children novelization of CCA.  (Although it would be nice if they did a Hi-Nu ver.Ka HWS for those who don't have the skill or patience to build the MG model kit).

49.jpg

Bandai is also doing a brand new Chogokin of Gaogaigar, and this one looks like it'll actually be a combiner.

44.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished off Golion. 

Overall thoughts, while the show dragged a lot in the middle once they entered MOTW filler territory, the good out weighed the bad and it was a really good show with a hell of a final stretch of episodes leading into a bad ass "blaze of glory" ending. I've been thinking about this leading up to the last ep I don't think there's ever been an evil empire as evil as Galra in any show i've ever seen, like ISIS look at these guys and think "ya'll are going too far".

The novelty of it being the a really dark & violent show (even the pet mice are killing off dudes in the final battle) that was used as source matterial for happy kids action show Voltron is at least half the appeal but it really feels like a show that deserves more props then that and to stand on it's own. 

Layzner is up next on my to watch list along with maybe Fairy Tail...