DVDVR Message Board

Burgundy, Natural, JustJay: Thoughts and prayers are with y'all. Here I was going to post a big FU to my (as yet undiagnosed) ailment that put me in a coma for four days and almost killed me earlier in the month, and I realized, "Hey, I'm alive and likely to stay that way for a good bit, so WTF?"

Jingus: I ain't going to get all smarmy on your ass, were you here in front of me, I'd give it a good kick! You sir, are a writer. What writers do is that they write. Repeat that a few times eef you weeel (in my best Dusty voice). Feelings of depression and futility suck, trust me, I know all about that. However, what you can do that most cannot is to channel those feelings on to paper and get something worthwhile out of it. Apply ass to chair and fingers to keyboard and do NOT get up until you have written some 1000 words (about three pages double-spaced, if you're given to using one of those fascinating antiques that they call a "typewriter". Also, do not watch TV, do not fuck around on the message board or otherwise sabotage yourself. After you finish your 1000 words, edit, edit, edit and start the next thousand. Doesn't matter if it is a story, an essay, the first chapter of a novel (though I'd advise against that), but whatever it is, finish the thing and start something else. You may not feel all sunshine and light after doing this, but you WILL have created something tangible, which is something that most people can't (or are too lazy) to do.

On a lighter note and speaking of OSJ.  Goddammit.   Sooner or later, life will calm down for me and I will handle that business at the NYC library, provided you haven't had it handled yet by someone a lot more reliable than my punk ass.

Fuck the "supreme" Court

This times a thousand. Scalia and Thomas are the worst.
Kennedy, Roberts and Alito don't help matters, but those two are just horrific.

I had to write a paper for a constitutional law class once as if I were a Supreme Court judge. You were assigned a judge at random from the current nine and had to research their ideology and write a decision on a older Supreme Court case as they would have decided. I got Scalia. My teacher apologized to me. That was the only paper in college I was ever made physically ill writing, 25 pages long. It was my own personal Heart of Darkness, my family and friends commented on how I seemed absolutely out of it while writing that paper. Nothing else was ever even a tenth the amount of stress to write.

Point being, I concur with Zeidler.

• Like 1

Couple of weeks ago we were breaking in the new grill.  When I bit into my inaugural steak there was some blinding pain, so I thought I pulled a crown loose.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and I finally get into the dentist, only to discover I've cracked off a good 1/2 the exposed tooth, so there's no real way to crown it.  It comes out tomorrow.

Stupid genetics

Mike: At least make sure they use nitrous, (might as well enjoy yourself while you're there).

JT: No hurry, my friend. Not like I don't have other stuff to work on.

I had to write a paper for a constitutional law class once as if I were a Supreme Court judge. You were assigned a judge at random from the current nine and had to research their ideology and write a decision on a older Supreme Court case as they would have decided. I got Scalia. My teacher apologized to me. That was the only paper in college I was ever made physically ill writing, 25 pages long. It was my own personal Heart of Darkness, my family and friends commented on how I seemed absolutely out of it while writing that paper. Nothing else was ever even a tenth the amount of stress to write.

You could have fun with Scalia.  It'd be no fun writing as Thomas, although your paper would probably be a lot shorter.

You could have fun with Scalia.  It'd be no fun writing as Thomas, although your paper would probably be a lot shorter.

It'd be "Whatever Scalia said."

• Like 2

You could have fun with Scalia. It'd be no fun writing as Thomas, although your paper would probably be a lot shorter.

With a dash of "What people giving money to my wife think"

I don't think he can do that when he's writing the majority opinion and Scalia doesn't write anything.

Mom had a pretty rough morning.  She thought she was coming home today, but her blood pressure is bouncing everywhere, so the surgeon he's taking possible release day to day.  It was always up in the air, but she only focused on the maybe Monday, part.

She had built up this moment, and while I understand why the surgeon said for her to stay, she had a meltdown.  She thinks her kidneys will shut down and she'll be on dialysis along with a bad foot.  She thinks she's being punished through her illness. :(

Perhaps you should seek some professional help, Jingus.

Great idea.  (One which has only been suggested to me about forty-seven-thousand times now.)  Now, pay for my professional help.  Or find a world-class psychiatrist in northern Texas who is willing to work pro bono, including prescriptions.  Oh, you can't?  Well neither can I.  And don't bother even mentioning free "services" like hotlines and whatnot, I've tried the ones around here and they're worse than useless, I think they're actively detrimental to the mental health of whatever poor saps are stuck using them.  

Jingus:  Know how you feel, far too well.  Sometimes the best thing to do IS to keep yourself busy enough that you don't dwell on those negative feelings.  

Great idea.  Now, find something worthwhile for me to keep busy with, something which doesn't make me feel even worse.  And most importantly, something that doesn't involve me leaving the house or spending a single penny or getting anyone to listen to me or believe me or agree with me.  (I literally don't have a dollar to my name, and no I've got absolutely nowhere to possibly make, borrow, or otherwise obtain anything at all.)  Oh, you can't?  Well neither can I.  

Apply ass to chair and fingers to keyboard and do NOT get up until you have written some 1000 words (about three pages double-spaced, if you're given to using one of those fascinating antiques that they call a "typewriter". Also, do not watch TV, do not fuck around on the message board or otherwise sabotage yourself. After you finish your 1000 words, edit, edit, edit and start the next thousand. Doesn't matter if it is a story, an essay, the first chapter of a novel (though I'd advise against that), but whatever it is, finish the thing and start something else. You may not feel all sunshine and light after doing this, but you WILL have created something tangible, which is something that most people can't (or are too lazy) to do.

Great idea.  Now just find some way to solve this Berlin Wall of writer's block which has been crippling me for the past two months.  Oh, you- alright, that snark must be getting old by now.  But still, you see my point.  Every time I try to write anything nowadays, it ends up with me staring at an empty Word document for an hour or two, writing one sentence, erasing it, rinse lather fail repeat until I finally shut the computer off in misery and disgust.  I can't force myself to write so much as a goddamn movie review, let alone anything more challenging.  That fantasy series I started writing?  I finally managed to finish a second story... like, two months ago.  And NOTHING since then.  No matter how many times I've sat down and attempted to soldier on.  At this point, no, I'm not a writer.  Dunno if I ever really was.  

Also, "do not watch TV"?  Hah.  I don't even HAVE working television.  And not by my own choice, that's for fuckin' sure.  

Well, I mean, doing more to curtail Evil Presidente's spying makes up for setting precident for Closely held companies to legally religiously discriminate. 

Because their rights mean more than yours.

The Hobby Lobby ruling is not a hill I feel like dying on. It's "Bunch of people with ideas I don't like" vs. "Bunch of people with ideas I don't like". I do have an opinion, it seems to be different than most of your's, but I'm not wading into the waters on that one. I'm just saying they nailed that earlier decision.

Guest The Magnificent 7

What a bunch of pussies when the Supreme court has you all shook.  A paper had you physically ill.  Most of you are a bunch of children when it comes to politics.  Too bad we can't all benefit if you took your ball and went home. 

Well, I mean, doing more to curtail Evil Presidente's spying makes up for setting precident for Closely held companies to legally religiously discriminate. 

It wasn't about the President's spying, it was about cops seizing and searching your cell phone, man.

The Hobby Lobby ruling is not a hill I feel like dying on. It's "Bunch of people with ideas I don't like" vs. "Bunch of people with ideas I don't like". I do have an opinion, it seems to be different than most of your's, but I'm not wading into the waters on that one. I'm just saying they nailed that earlier decision.

I am going to agree with Fresh on this one. I am way too Conservative/Libertarian for this board, which is why I normally just shrug of political jabs when reading comments.

The Supreme Court has to be very careful not to politicize things, and it does seem to become more and more politicized over time.

• Like 3

It wasn't about the President's spying, it was about cops seizing and searching your cell phone, man.

Well that case I'm not farmilar with.  If you'd give a less partisan hacky source to read on it, I can familarize myself.

If I could strangle 90% of you right now, I would do so gladly.

So many of you around here complain about life, and how it's unfair.  You whine and mope and groan.  Now don't get me wrong, I've been guility of the same thing many times.  But folks, we've got to have perspective.  There are tough moments ahead for all of us, so put down a happy foundation now so when the rain comes, getting wet doesn't come as some shock.

Life smells.  Whether it's the scent of garbage or roses is up to us.  And I like flowers.

• Like 3