DVDVR Message Board

Tesla Opens Patents For All

RIPPA

Or as their release was headlined - amazingly enough

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

• Like 2

So we had a science night at my kid's school. Someone from NASA came to speak and someone from the Naval Defense Labs and other people. Well an Engineer came from GE or somewhere and he was to talk about the electric car. And he kind of shit on the thing. It was pretty funny, actually, because it wasn't what any of the kids were expecting. One of his big arguments, or pain points with the thing, was that the same amount of energy had to be generated. It just has to be generated at the plants which then transmit the electricity to the chargers or wherever, so it (and the pollution) becomes centralized instead of decentralized through gasoline in cars, but ultimately, it's pretty zero sum, change wise. 

Is that at all accurate?

So we had a science night at my kid's school. Someone from NASA came to speak and someone from the Naval Defense Labs and other people. Well an Engineer came from GE or somewhere and he was to talk about the electric car. And he kind of shit on the thing. It was pretty funny, actually, because it wasn't what any of the kids were expecting. One of his big arguments, or pain points with the thing, was that the same amount of energy had to be generated. It just has to be generated at the plants which then transmit the electricity to the chargers or wherever, so it (and the pollution) becomes centralized instead of decentralized through gasoline in cars, but ultimately, it's pretty zero sum, change wise. 

Is that at all accurate?

It depends very much on where you live. If you are in a region that's heavily supplied by wind, solar and/or hydro it's a net positive to go plug in. But if the grid you plug into is all coal, then yeah, your carbon footprint is about the same as a fairly low efficiency car (I've seen claims that the Tesla Roadster's "wells to wheels" may be as bad as 20MPG, but those claims obviously have heavy political motivation) car and you ain't helping.

• Like 1

Has there been any thought to how to expand the range of cars/speed up "refueling"?  Like is there a way to make the fuel cells/batteries/whatever interchangeable so you stop at a "gas station" and swap out your battery for a different one as a means of refueling?  

Is that at all accurate?

Like Cliff Hanger said, it depends.  But electric cars are capture neutral.  So, even if right now you aren't changing anything, in the future you may very well be. 

Long term, coal is probably on it's (very slow) way out, and electric cars will keep working just the same whether your power comes from coal, nuclear, wind, hydro, solar, or human urine.

I've seen a couple Teslas being driven around here. One was a roadster and the other was a Type S. Tripped me out each time. I think I got more excited for seeing them than seeing the Lambo or Bentley being driven around.

There's a guy around my hood who likes to do a few laps around Logan Blvd in his Tesla. It's pretty slick looking. 

But I just found a pair of 12 dollar Nike's in great condition at my Thrift Store, so I'll stick to my preferred mode of transportation. 

• Like 1