DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

When I did my research, I saw the Oblivion and Reacher averaged about $75 million domestically when they left the theaters. When you're talking non MI Cruise movies, you have to expect these movies to make their budget back internationally. But how the fuck did the budget get to $178 million? I think Liman may have screwed up somewhere. I know WB spent 190M on Pacific Rim, but I could conceivably see it making it back somehow. Even though Cruise is a bigger star than Hunnam and Elba combined, there have been other movies with same selling point. Their marketing didn't really differentiate how this was different than random summer blockbuster #190 save for Tom Cruise dying a lot. At least Pacific Rim had insane trailers and was canceling the fucking apocalypse. 

Edge of Tomorrow is still holding on to its strong Rotten Tomato score at 89 percent.  I think it will go down a couple more percentage points, but it's still going to hurt a few people's lists.  I doubt many people put it high on their RT ranking list.

FYI the highest anyone had it on their RT list was fifth.  And those people were you and Chaos.

And yeah, you'd think Oblivion would be the perfect predictor of how it'll do at the box office.  Maybe with a bit of a bump because it's summer.

UPDATE 5 OF 21 - through June 5

Standings

1 [ 2] pipGofern - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 [ 3] Suicide King of Spades - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 4] Lacelle - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
4 [ 6] The Natural - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 14] Chaos - 2 points (2/0, tiebreak 0.189)
6 [ 15] -MJ- - 2 points (2/0, tiebreak n/a)
7 [ 5] Ligerbusa - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
8 [- 8] hobo joe - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)
9 [ 10] DreamBroken - 4 points (4/0, tiebreak n/a)
10 [ 12] The Erotic Terrorist - 4 points (4/0, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 9] JRGoldman - 6 points (6/0, tiebreak n/a)
12 [ 11] jaedmc - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak 1.003)
13 [ 20] Mike Zeidler - 6 points (4/2, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 33] Cameron Swift - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak 0.032)
15 [ 1] The Z - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak 0.147)
16 [ 24] Death From Above - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
17 [ 19] The Damn Yeti - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
18 [ 28] Kevin Wilson - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 16] Super Ape - 10 points (8/2, tiebreak n/a)
20 [ 7] SorceressKnight - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
21 [ 23] Rippa - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
22 [ 18] Dr. Bathroom - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
23 [ 26] Niners Fan in CT - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
24 [ 13] Hoffman - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
25 [- 25] ivpvideos - 12 points (2/10, tiebreak n/a)
26 [ 34] caley - 12 points (6/6, tiebreak n/a)
27 [- 27] Ultimo The Great - 12 points (4/8, tiebreak n/a)
28 [ 21] blitzkrieg - 12 points (6/6, tiebreak n/a)
29 [ 22] Elsalvajeloco - 12 points (4/8, tiebreak n/a)
30 [- 30] Paco - 12 points (6/6, tiebreak n/a)
31 [ 36] RossWB - 14 points (6/8, tiebreak 0.014)
32 [ 31] MushroomJones - 16 points (6/10, tiebreak n/a)
33 [ 17] The Veeg - 16 points (12/4, tiebreak n/a)
34 [ 32] Sublime - 18 points (6/12, tiebreak n/a)
35 [ 37] CSC - 20 points (10/10, tiebreak n/a)
36 [ 29] Raziel403 - 20 points (10/10, tiebreak n/a)
37 [ 35] Control - 22 points (12/10, tiebreak n/a)

Box office

1 [- 1] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $188,957,297 (28 days)

2 [- 2] Godzilla - $179,093,006 (21 days)

3 [- 3] X-Men: Days of Future Past - $174,401,266 (14 days)

4 [- 4] Neighbors - $132,600,495 (28 days)

5 [NEW] Maleficent - $93,846,968 (7 days)

6 [NEW] A Million Ways To Die In The West - $22,989,970 (7 days)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 [- 1] X-Men: Days of Future Past - 202/220 = 92% (14 days)

2 [ 3] Godzilla - 180/246 = 73% (21 days)

3 [ 2] Neighbors - 141/193 = 73% (28 days)

4 [- 4] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 133/250 = 53% (28 days)

5 [NEW] Maleficent - 86/169 = 51% (7 days)

6 [NEW] A Million Ways To Die In The West - 57/170 = 34% (7 days)

• Like 1

22 Jump Street is at 97% with 33 Votes turned in so far for that film. Did the critics decide to just be nice to everything this summer because "y'know, summer films?"

These critics have clearly been swayed by bribes from Lacelle

22 Jump Street is at 97% with 33 Votes turned in so far for that film. Did the critics decide to just be nice to everything this summer because "y'know, summer films?"

Spider-Man & Maleficent say "no".

After the first Jump Street and the Lego Movie, people should just not doubt Lord/Miller.

Then again, I've been a fanboy of theirs since Clone High.

Fault had the Facebook push going for it. Every female taking photos of or mentioning how teary eyed they were at the ending.

It could turn into the 2014 version of The Notebook.

Not that it's a shocker that young girls were the ones watching it... but: 

According to exit surveys, females made up 82 percent of Fault's opening-weekend audience, while nearly 80 percent were under the age of 25 -- an almost unheard of number (that compares to 55 percent under the age of 25 for the first Twilight).

I think it's more the repeated viewings

I am like "why put yourself through that a 2nd time?"

Of course I am old and cry at everything

• Like 1

I give up trying to understand what fuckers want to go see in the theater

It figures that I am finally right about something in this fucking pool although I never imagined that Fault In Our Stars would take off like that. 

Shailene Woodey, go figure.

If I had put a ballot together I'd totally be in last place, though.

Watching Godzilla vs. Amazing Spider-Man 2 on the box office list has been pretty fascinating (well... as fascinating as you get in these things).  When each of them had been out for 14 days, Godzilla had made $7.3 million more than ASM2 ($155.8m to $148.5m).  But its lead has been eroding ever since, and now as of the 25-day mark, ASM2 is ahead by $1.1 million ($187.1m to $186.0m) and it looks like Godzilla's going to end up falling short.

Btw I put A Million Ways To Die In The West 6th on my box office list.  I am a chump.

It will be interesting if popular word of mouth and viral discussions about Edge of Tomorrow give it a strong second weekend where it maybe matches what it did this past weekend.

I think that would be a big win for that film.

It will be interesting if popular word of mouth and viral discussions about Edge of Tomorrow give it a strong second weekend where it maybe matches what it did this past weekend.

The reviews are pretty positive overall, so I expect it will make steady money for its lenght of release.  Depending on the numbers, that is usually better than having a monster opening weekend and then fizzling out.

• Like 1

The reviews are pretty positive overall, so I expect it will make steady money for its lenght of release.  Depending on the numbers, that is usually better than having a monster opening weekend and then fizzling out.

Cruise mentioned that in his Nerdist discussion about how movies today seem to be "you get one weekend, and that's that." He always longs for it to be similar to how movies could hold their vale for weeks and even months.

Obviously, films make a lot more money now due to inflation than they did back then, however.

This is why the James Cameron / Titanic model for blockbusters needs to be embraced.  

I'd rather have the Number Two or Three movie at the Box Office that maintains position from early Summer well into late Fall and conistantly makes money than a movie that makes $90 mil its first weekend and then have its gross take decrease geometrically every weekend after that and isn't talked about again after five or six weeks.