DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Pistorius

Reed

Has anyone else been following this? It's riveting, particularly Nel's cross-examination of Pistorius, which has been disastrous for the defense.

-Pistorius weeping so much you'd think he was trying win an Emmy. At some point I think this started damaging him when it became clear his tears were more for himself than his girlfriend.

-Nel being so harsh I half expected Pistorius to break down and confess to not only murdering Reeva, but JFK, Biggie and Tupac as well.

-Oscar's bizarre claim that he fired four shots at the door but didn't really mean to pull the trigger and wasn't intending to kill anyone.

It's actually the opposite of the OJ trial in many respects because 1) Everyone is actually being quite respectful of the victim 2) A prosecutor willing to call out a defendant on their BS.

Oh, and Oscar is totally going to jail. I cannot see any other way around it.

It's interesting to see how law and justice works in other countries.  The judge who will determine Pistorius' fate looks like she gives zero fucks about him.  It's a warranted response, IMO.  The prosecutor has torn Pistorius asunder 100 ways and has barely broken a sweat. 

It's just a matter of how much time Pistorius gets, best I can tell.  I don't see how anyone can take his shooting four times while not taking into account that Reeva was nowhere around and not conclude that he was looking to inflict serious damage to her.

IMO, the difference between a judge deciding and a jury deciding is that judges look more at the evidence. Juries, meanwhile, are more vulnerable to feelings, bias or their gut instincts. Oscar's tears may very well have worked on a jury; the judge just look doesn't affected at all.

RE: The absurdity of Oscar's story, I think of it like this: if you've just shot your girlfriend in a moment of rage and don't want to own up to it, what story could you tell? Oh, right, the one he's telling. That South Africa does have an extremely high crime rate may have convinced him people would buy it.

If it wasn't for the neighbors hearing them arguing and his own inconsistencies, he just might have gotten away with it.

It is also the opposite of the OJ trial because the evidence linking Oscar to the crime is right there.

I am still trying to figure out how arthritic, dress shoe wearing OJ Simpson murdered two healthy people by himself with a knife in under thirty seconds with no noise to alert anyone and with blood spattered over half of Los Angeles.  The amount of circumstantial forensic evidence "discovered" that just happened to link OJ to the scene was hilarious. 

I am surprised the cops didn't "find" a Buffalo Bills jersey in the bushes.

Which bears the question.  

Do I think OJ committed the murders himself ? No.

Do I think that OJ knows who committed the murders? Yep, he sure does..

• Like 2

I am still trying to figure out how crippled, dress shoe wearing OJ Simpson murdered healty two people by himself with a knife in under thirty seconds with no noise to alert anyone and with blood spattered over half of Los Angeles. 

Read "If I Did It".

I would if I wanted to give OJ my money.   I will just hit the high points on some wikipedia page.

I am still trying to figure out how crippled, dress shoe wearing OJ Simpson murdered healty two people by himself with a knife in under thirty seconds with no noise to alert anyone and with blood spattered over half of Los Angeles.

Read "If I Did It".

I would if I wanted to give OJ my money.   I will just hit the high points on some wikipedia page.

A quick google search will turn up a pdf of the whole book. I always felt he did it and reading the book leaves me with no doubt.

I never felt that he did it, but I always felt that he had it done.  He needed to take lessons from Ray Lewis on how to be a football player that gets away with double homicide.

Back on topic.  Oscar is either the most unconvincing dude ever or is the most tortured guy on earth.  He looks like he's on the verge of total collapse and i am not sure if I should hold him in contempt or just feel sorry for the man.  He is either a complete liar or so unbelievably paranoid that it is remarkable.

Best theory I've heard as to what happened:

Oscar and Reeva got into a massive fight, at which point he got out his gun. Not to kill her, just to scare her into backing down. She freaks out, takes her phone and heads into the bathroom, loudly screaming that she's going call the cops on him. The thought of the bad press and negative attention actually does send him into a murderous rage and he kills her.

As far as Oscar's tears...I'm sure on some level he is sorry. No way it can all be false. But, you know, he's still trying to get away with it. So he can't be that filled with remorse.

Read "If I Did It".

OJ wouldn't get a dime from it.  The rights to the book ended up being awarded to the Goldman family.  All copyrights and media rights went them to help them collect in the civil trial they won.  That's why the cover of the book was changed to the words I DID IT with the word IF in very small print.

As far as Oscar Pistorius, I can't honestly say I've closely looked at any facts of the case.  But putting myself in his position, I am imagining waking up and thinking there is a prowler in my house, and not knowing where my girlfriend is.  The LAST thing I would do is just start firing shots blindly into a door, with no knowledge if she was in there or not.  So I just don't buy that story. 

In fact, even if I DID know where my girlfriend was, I can't see firing blindly at a closed door.  Just too many reasons not to.  No, I can only see firing 4 shots if you know who you're shooting at and either 1) You're protecting your own life or 2) You're in a moment of anger and rage and want to kill someone. 

Read "If I Did It".

A quick google search will turn up a pdf of the whole book. I always felt he did it and reading the book leaves me with no doubt.

I read a book a couple years ago called OJ IS INNOCENT AND I CAN PROVE IT that posits Jason Simpson was the killer. It's interesting if you can get past the author's fake concern for Jason.

Read "If I Did It".

OJ wouldn't get a dime from it.  The rights to the book ended up being awarded to the Goldman family.  All copyrights and media rights went them to help them collect in the civil trial they won.  That's why the cover of the book was changed to the words I DID IT with the word IF in very small print.

As far as Oscar Pistorius, I can't honestly say I've closely looked at any facts of the case.  But putting myself in his position, I am imagining waking up and thinking there is a prowler in my house, and not knowing where my girlfriend is.  The LAST thing I would do is just start firing shots blindly into a door, with no knowledge if she was in there or not.  So I just don't buy that story. 

In fact, even if I DID know where my girlfriend was, I can't see firing blindly at a closed door.  Just too many reasons not to.  No, I can only see firing 4 shots if you know who you're shooting at and either 1) You're protecting your own life or 2) You're in a moment of anger and rage and want to kill someone. 

Not to mention that Oscar, by his own admission, was yelling at the intruder and telling them to get out before firing.

So Reeva's reponse, knowing her boyfriend is armed at all times and thinks she's a burglar, is to...stay silent? Not yell "Jesus Christ, don't fire! It's only me!"

The story has more holes in it that a piece of Swiss cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-accused-of-intimidating-reeva-steenkamps-friend-in-court-9326974.html

Oscar Pistorius has been accused of approaching a friend of Reeva Steenkamp in the middle of his murder trial and whispering "How can you sleep at night?" in a sinister tone.

Kim Myers, one of Ms Steenkamp's closest friends and a potential witness for the prosecution, claimed the athlete made the comment under his breath as he walked past her.

Her lawyer, Ian Levitt, told The Independent: "There are witnesses who can confirm this, a reporter sitting behind Kim saw Oscar approach her, and she was horrified. There is no reason reason why my client would lie about this."

The athlete's lawyer, Brian Webber, denied the incident took place, saying: "I'm not even going to dignify that with a comment. It's grossly untrue. He never said anything of the sort."

Separately, the athlete told reporters in Pretoria: "I haven't spoken to them for a year and a half. I walk past them in the corridors and hold doors open for them but they don't look me in the eye."

But Mr Levitt insisted Pistorius made the comment "in the presence of some witnesses" and his denial is "obviously a lie" because he doesn't want to take responsibility.

He added: "Again, this shows he is a man who does whatever he wishes, regardless of the consequences. To think he would approach a potential witness in a murder trial and to do this is unfathomable."

Mr Levitt said Ms Myers was "disturbed" by the incident and her mother, Desi, is "furious" but the family will continue to attend the trial in support of Ms Steenkamp.

OK, even OJ wasn't THAT dumb.

• 4 months later...

There sure are a lot of people believing a lot of shaky ass stories this week.  How do you sleep next to someone hear an intruder, and somehow not ask if she heard it, check if she is OK, or not just assume the sound coming from the bathroom is not from the person that is no longer laying next to you?  Your immediate response is to shoot into the bathroom?  Is he trying to say that at no point in between hearing the alleged intruder and shooting into the bathroom he never looked to see if his girlfriend was still in bed?  People believe this shit?  This story is shakier than Goodell's and even Te'o's, but of course everyone who can do anything about it believes their bullshit.

• Like 1

Oscar is obviously a guy whose soul has been broken by rage issues.  He will be convicted of culpable homicide and hopefully get sent to some mental facility where he can get treatment.

He's going to torture himself over his girlfriend's death for the rest of his life.   He's already in prison..

There sure are a lot of people believing a lot of shaky ass stories this week.  How do you sleep next to someone hear an intruder, and somehow not ask if she heard it, check if she is OK, or not just assume the sound coming from the bathroom is not from the person that is no longer laying next to you?  Your immediate response is to shoot into the bathroom?  Is he trying to say that at no point in between hearing the alleged intruder and shooting into the bathroom he never looked to see if his girlfriend was still in bed?  People believe this shit?  This story is shakier than Goodell's and even Te'o's, but of course everyone who can do anything about it believes their bullshit.

I thought the judge totally dismissing the text message Reeva sent where she said she was afraid of him was also rather odd. OK, so it's not damning on its own...but sometimes you have to put the pieces together. 

The judge did say he was negligent though, so hopefully he'll be doing a couple of years in jail. But it's still BS.

Oscar is obviously a guy whose soul has been broken by rage issues.  He will be convicted of culpable homicide and hopefully get sent to some mental facility where he can get treatment.

He's going to torture himself over his girlfriend's death for the rest of his life.   He's already in prison..

Maybe, but I'd rather he was in actual prison too.