DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

That billboard made my day.

It's dishonest at best, and hypocritical at its worst.  If he agreed to play for $12 million a year, San Antonio fans would greet LeBron with open arms and mock Miami fans with glee.

Trolling is fine, but this particular case rings a bit false.

Oh, and Dolfan will set this thread on fire if we keeping taking jabs.  We're being warned.  He's cuddly, but he also has teeth! EEK! :wacko:

• Like 1

There is nothing dishonest about it. Tim Duncan has accepted less money and stayed loyal to the Spurs organization for 17 years. Lebron's nickname is King James. Lebron accepting 12 million to play for the Spurs wouldn't change the fact that his nickname is still King James and that he would be on his third team and that he was a gun for hire. That billboard is on point. I wonder how your posts about Lebron will change if he decides to go to Houston or Chicago or wherever. Will you be as defensive of him at that point? 

Also Admins > Mods but I love Dolfan. 

Timmy on Letterman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8oV9fi3-e0

• Like 2

Rumor via Chad Ford that the Heat are trying to move up in the draft to get Shabazz Napier in order to keep Lebron. Wonder if that rumor moves Shabazz up in the draft. Lebron might have just helped him get paid a little extra.

There is nothing dishonest about it. Tim Duncan has accepted less money and stayed loyal to the Spurs organization for 17 years. Lebron's nickname is King James. Lebron accepting 12 million to play for the Spurs wouldn't change the fact that his nickname is still King James and that he would be on his third team and that he was a gun for hire. That billboard is on point. I wonder how your posts about Lebron will change if he decides to go to Houston or Chicago or wherever. Will you be as defensive of him at that point?

Why wouldn't I defend LeBron?  He's a free man who's using the NBA's open market to his advantage.  We all should be so fortunate in our jobs.

Also Admins > Mods but I love Dolfan

You admins ain't loyal.

When Phil Jackson was hired by the Knicks, I predicted he'd try to trade Tyson Chandler... I know the zen-master!

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

ESPN has learned that Dallas Mavericks are on verge of reacquiring Tyson Chandler in trade with New York Knicks. Story going online now

Of course, now you have to wonder why Dallas let him go in the first place, but its a good move for them.

• Like 1

Anyone consider the possibility that Phil Jackson could maybe talk Melo to re-sign with the Knicks & if he manages to bring in Lebron alongside him. I personally don't see it happening, but its something which hasn't been mentioned. But I think the Knicks have Stoudamire & Chandler on big contracts so they'd have to make some major moves. Talking of big contracts, if Kobe wasn't on I think it's $30m+ then the Lakers could have the cap space available to sign both Lebron & Melo, unless they manage to get rid of Pau & Nash and do what the Heat did and have an old supporting cast around them. But you'd need a fast PG to make that work. If the Cavs owner and the fans weren't so anti-James after he left then him going back to Cleveland would have seemed a likely destination. If they manage to move Boozer, then Melo & Lebron could go to the Bulls but then they'd be the endless comparisons to Jordan. What about the Clippers?, if he teamed up with CP3 & Blake they'd be title contenders and if they brought in Carmelo Anthony too they'd be an even strong unit. The Rockets with Harden, Howard & James would be contenders too. I've read the Suns might be a potential destination too, but I don't know if Lebron would go there, unless he comes in with Melo and they could manage to build a strong team around them with Bledsoe, the Morris brothers & Dragic amongst others. There's also the chance that Lebron will sign again with the Heat. I would think they would need to make a few major moves too though, maybe trade Bosh & bring in a more impactful center & a younger roster around LBJ & Wade.  Pat Riley mentioned in this article [url=http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/heat/2014/06/19/pat-riley-news-conference-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-free-agency-miami/10877283/]here about bringing in a 4th star, but would Miami have the cap space to bring in Carmelo, unless all four excepted much lower salaries. Whereas both Lebron & Carmelo could get max deals elsewhere & it will certainly be interesting to see what both decide to do. 

When Phil Jackson was hired by the Knicks, I predicted he'd try to trade Tyson Chandler... I know the zen-master!

ESPN has learned that Dallas Mavericks are on verge of reacquiring Tyson Chandler in trade with New York Knicks. Story going online now

Of course, now you have to wonder why Dallas let him go in the first place, but its a good move for them.

Upgrade over Sammy D, for sure, but I don't like the other pieces involved.  Felton is fucking terrible, and I don't like giving up Larkin, since I feel like he's going to be a very solid NBA pg someday.  If we are giving up Calderon and Larkin, I'd rather get Shumpert in the deal than Felton.  Also feel like Felton is a downgrade from Calderon too, at least offensively.  In other words, not a huge fan of this trade.

I think he was let off on the charges.

Or what Dolfan said.

I got to thinking that we could waive Felton to save the cap space he would eat up, and go from there.  I'm ok with Harris being our starting PG, and I think Mekel is a reasonable backup.

Regarding loyalty: It's a two way street. Duncan has had a near perfect coach/GM situation for his entire run, which has presented him with consistent championship opportunities. LeBron had the Cleveland mess. Easy to be loyal to the former, less so with the latter. If San Antonio had given Duncan the equivalent of Larry Hughes/Eric Snow/Drew Gooden as reinforcements, no rational person thinks he'd have stayed. He'd have been every bit the mercenary LeBron is alleged to be, were it required. Thing is, it wasn't. 

• Like 3

Stoudamire will be on $23m next season, Chandler is 14mil so from a Knicks perspective that would be a great trade if they make it with the Mavs as he'd be off their wage bill. Thing is, who would they be bringing back to replace him?. Felton's on $4m so thats not a serious drain on the Knicks but they'll probably either trade him or if no one's interested, maybe even waive him. Bargnani is on $14m so they should get him off their roster too, they'll probably waive Metta & maybe Kenyon Martin. If so, there's two players who could make up a roster if there's like another new big 3. JR Smith is another player they could trade as he's on $5.9m but the thing is, what teams would want to hire players on those deals. Maybe for the minimum salary but not for big deals when there's younger players who could help turn their fortunes around. 

Upgrade over Sammy D, for sure, but I don't like the other pieces involved.  Felton is fucking terrible, and I don't like giving up Larkin, since I feel like he's going to be a very solid NBA pg someday.  If we are giving up Calderon and Larkin, I'd rather get Shumpert in the deal than Felton.  Also feel like Felton is a downgrade from Calderon too, at least offensively.  In other words, not a huge fan of this trade.

Yeah, I didn't realize Calderon would go back when I posted that. I figured it was a salary dump by the Knicks with the Mavs more or less willing to take back Felton as a price for taking on Chandler's big contract.

I liked it better when I first thought it was a salary dump. Not so much now for the Mavs. 

If they manage to move Boozer, then Melo & Lebron could go to the Bulls but then they'd be the endless comparisons to Jordan.

Boozer is getting moved. He's the non-issue. He'll either be traded or amnestied. Bulls will be in position financially to land Melo, Lebron, or pull some deal to get KLove. Love seems like the guy Derrick would prefer, they work out together during the offseasons.

Of course whether we land any of these guys depends on whether they believe Rose can play basketball. He's been playing 5 on 5 for a while and the guys playing him say he's got the speed and he's got the burst, but they said that last year and his leg sploded. I'm optimistic. But I'm also a fool.

And it doesn't matter where he goes, Lebron will be compared to Jordan until he dies.

Yeah, I didn't realize Calderon would go back when I posted that. I figured it was a salary dump by the Knicks with the Mavs more or less willing to take back Felton as a price for taking on Chandler's big contract.

I liked it better when I first thought it was a salary dump. Not so much now for the Mavs. 

We gave up our picks too, so unless Cuban has some major moves up his sleeve, then this was a bad deal for us to essentially land one guy.  If we can move that Felton contract quickly to create space, then I'm fine. 

I agree especially when you see New York and Brooklyn on the list. Neither has cap room. That seems more like Broussard (a New York guy) adding them to the list because that's what New York media does all the time with every player in every sport.

Regarding loyalty: It's a two way street. Duncan has had a near perfect coach/GM situation for his entire run, which has presented him with consistent championship opportunities. LeBron had the Cleveland mess. Easy to be loyal to the former, less so with the latter. If San Antonio had given Duncan the equivalent of Larry Hughes/Eric Snow/Drew Gooden as reinforcements, no rational person thinks he'd have stayed. He'd have been every bit the mercenary LeBron is alleged to be, were it required. Thing is, it wasn't. 

To be fair, we had Drew Gooden for awhile ;)

I agree that Duncan has had a sweet ride but he isn't the only guy to stay loyal to his team. What is unique is that he has played for the same coach his entire run. The Pop/Duncan tandem is an insane run. However, you have to think about the times that San Antonio ownership could have gotten rid of Pop. The loyalty to San Antonio is really Tim's loyalty to Pop. The same could be said for Tony and Manu. Both could have played for other teams for more money but they chose loyalty over an extra few million. From 2004-2010, Ginobili could have started on about 85% of the teams in the league but got stuck being the 6th man. Tony Parker is always in the Top 5 point guards in the league but doesn't get paid the same. He chose loyalty. I wish Lebron had a coach similar to Pop who he had loyalty to or an owner like Cuban who isn't afraid to open up the purse strings to surround his superstar with a great team every year. 

It may seem like I am bashing Lebron. I am not. However, I am worried he ends up like Shaq who was so desperate to collect jewelry, he tried in vain to sign with every possible championship team he could grab onto and it really diminishes their legacy.  

• Like 1