DVDVR Message Board

I could complain about this movie for hours. I don't like the Nova Corps handling, I prefer a more nuanced Ronan over the genocidal maniac of the movie, I'm not crazy about the story of the Infinity Gems in this universe (as told by the Collector, anyway) or Drax's new history or redneck bowless Yondu or this or that. But even in spite of my fanboy nitpicks, I had so much fucking fun at this movie that I don't even have words. I honestly don't think I've seen an SF movie with this much positive crazy in it since Fifth Element, and all my fanboy whinging is pointless in the face of that. Besides, we got to see the Kyln and Knowhere and Rocket Raccoon and Ronan all looking beautiful and just like they should. We got to see

THE FUCKING CELESTIALS

in the Collector's little powerpoint. And

Howard the Duck. LOOKING like Howard the Duck this time. And with Gerber and Mayerik credited as his creators.

10/10, almost certainly gonna see it a second time.

Also, I won a copy of the two-disc soundtrack (disc 1: Star-Lord's mix tape. Disc 2: complete score) for providing the best "I Am Groot!" bellow. Never get up on stage for a contest at the Alamo Drafthouse if you have any sense of shame, people.

• Like 3

I fucking LOVED IT! Age of Ultron is going to hard a tough time topping this. Sure, I had a couple of fanboy quibbles like how the Nova Corps were handled, Nebula already being a cyborg, and Ronan's character in general, but like Cliff said: the awesome in this movie far out-weighs my comic fanboy-ism.

My nerd-gasm almost exploded when

they showed Cosmo in the the box at the Collector's place. The only thing holding it back was that he never got the chance to speak.

And I had an extremely loud "Holy SHIT!" reaction for the post-credits scene when

fucking HOWARD THE DUCK pops up out of nowhere!

The main cast was amazing(had my reservations about Big Dave admittedly and man, did he ever deliver) and Cooper's Rocket literally stole the show. Right now, this is probably the best Marvel Studios movie I've ever seen edging out Winter Soldier.

Holy fucking fuck, this movie was amazing.  It had a ton of comedy, and the action/story was there to balance it out nicely.  The characters were about what I expected and then some.  Dug Starlord, but preferred Drax and Rocket Raccon over him.  Batista was great and Bradley Cooper delivered.  Didn't really sound like him which helped me disassociate him from Rocket.  And Michael Rooker was pretty fucking cool, he plays that type of character very well.  The only time I was taken out of the movie was:

The beginning scene with Peter's mom dying.  Let's just say with fairly recent events it unexpectedly hit my wife and I hard.  Past that we were back into it.

We all enjoyed the movie a ton, and pretty much cheered when

Howard the fucking Duck appeared at the end.  Goodness me, everybody was begging for a movie.  I heard a rumor about him coming back, but did not expect him to have anything to do with movie.

Could Marvel Studios legally put the Miles Morales version of Spider-Man in a movie? I don't think it would be a good idea to confuse the marketplace like that, but I'm just wondering if they could.

I don't have any actual legal knowledge, but I still feel quite certain the answer is no.  I'm still curious if Sony can create new characters and add them to their Spideyverse.  I imagine they probably can.  They created Max Shreck for Batman Returns, so I guess it's fair game.

And yes, a dude actually used the word "harlot".

Movie was pretty fucking perfect all the way around, and without giving away a single spoiler I think this movie easily moves into contention for best use of a soundtrack in a movie ever. Top three, for sure.

Aside from that, I hope Chris Pratt, who I know isn't the most well known guy, is ready to have ANY shred of anonymity blown away as of now. That guy is gonna be as hot as Downey after the first Iron Man. I personally can't wait for them to share time in Hall H next year. This has potential for bromance of epic proportions, as I think he's the first one who's ready to fully embrace and embody what he's doing in the MCU since Downey started this shit. Yes, Groot and Rocket will be the breakouts, but Pratt is the fucking soul of that movie and he just pulls it off flawlessly. 

Pratt was freaking aces in the scene where they were coming up with a plan before the final battle with Ronan. I'll admit I'm a huge sucker for the rally speech before facing hopeless odds, but damn was it an awesome one.

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy -- it's a weird mixture of The Fifth Element and Star Wars and feels so good. Because I'm not as familiar with the characters (except for one major villain), it felt like a Big Dumb Action Movie that Marvel movies become but more consistent in tone and story.

Hell, they even do "your father is alive" bit from Star Wars.

Oh and Chris Pratt would be PERFECT as Nathan Drake whenever Uncharted comes out.

BTW, I LOVED the song before, but now I can't listen to this without my hair standing up on end.

FUCK. YEAH. I'm absolutely seeing this movie a million, billion times.

• Like 1

So I've been thinking. Starting with Thor 2 (and possibly Iron Man 3, which I still haven't seen) the stingers had been trailing the movie-after-next. Thor set up Guardians, Cap set up Avengers.

Ant-Man could be much weirder than anyone is expecting, y'all.

What absolutely makes me go "Holy shit" about this is that there's so much to love that things that would normally go noticed go unnoticed.

The fact that

Nathon Fillion, Rob Zombie as narrator and Josh Brolin as Thanos

are not people you realize are in this until afterwards is mind-boggling.  Especially the second name.  I was dumbfounded that I saw his name in there and upon checking was amazed.  It's not shitty marketing, it's just that the movie's that goddamn good that these three guys are nowhere near the focus of this movie nor should they be.  The more I think about it the more amazed I am at all this.  I had nothing to base this off of as I don't read comics.  So unlike X-Men, Spiderman, etc. I had a clean slate in my mind.  I have a feeling that can be said for most people that saw this.  And now I'm just so in love with everything about this it pains me that the second one won't be until 2017.  It deserves every bit of its success.  Fuck it, I need to see this again.

• Like 1