DVDVR Message Board

The X-Men have the best rogues gallery ever.

FUCKIN' BATMAN.

Nah. Magneto is much more compelling than the Joker. And even after him you got Apocolypse, Mystique, Sabertooth, Juggernaut, Stryker... I'd even count the Phoenix.

I'd give an honorable mention to Daredevil too. His lineup isn't very deep, but the one-two punch of Bullseye and Kingpin is pretty incredible.

• Like 1

How would you rate Captain America'a rogues gallery? How about the part of his rogues gallery that are not Nazis or otherwise WWII-related?

So Excluding The Skull, Zemos, arnim zola, Sin/

-------

Madcap? Flag Smasher?

Dr Faustus? Crossbones?

The Secret Empire? the Serpent Squad?

I would say #1 would be Batroc, but i love SA c list villains.

I'm not a DC fan! DC has two people worth caring about and the rest are terrible. It's just that those two guys piss all over Marvels guys and people in here never get it.

I'd have Batman Begins and The Dark Knight over all Marvel Studios films. Batman is the best superhero of all time but after the Bat-family and his rogues gallery, I prefer more Marvel superheroes. I don't give a shit about sides. I like comic book films from DC and Marvel to do well providing they deserve to.

I'd agree with that. Barman and Superman over all, then Marvels guys, then the rest of DC.

Rogues make the superhero, and by that definition, Superman fucking sucks. Would be like if Goku's arch-nemesis was Dr. Briefs.

This is a common misconception and if anything is one of the many myths that people who just write Superman off because "he's invincible!" always spout.

First of all, Lex Luthor is one of the greatest villains of all-time, no matter what the medium. An alien comes to earth and is the perfect example of everything humanity should be. A genius level human finds this to be the greatest affront to humankind imaginable and does everything he can to bring an end to this mockery of what a normal person can accomplish. He battles the strongest creature on earth with his mind. It's perfect.

Bizarro. Once again with Superman you have to get creative and subversive with his rogues. It can't just be Batman "they're cool and creepy!" character designs. Bizarro is one of the most interesting villains in any comic. He can go from funny to terrifying in two pages. He is essentially the Willial Regal of comic villains.

Mr Mxyzpltk is another great example of how you have to think creatively to make a great Superman villain. They can't just be "oh man, can Superman beat this guy up??" That is the archetype of so many comics over the course of history, but the most iconic comic ever avoids this cliche much of the time.

Except with Doomsday, the one badass who is a straight forward world killer, and you know what? He fucking KILLS SUPERMAN.

Oh yeah, and then there's Darkseid, Toyman, Zod, Parasite.. but yeah Superman's villains suck. He can't compete with the Mad Hatter, a small weird man who drugs children with tea, or Zsasz, a serial killer because... well yeah he can be. I fucking love Batman but the sad truth is without the Animated Series, his rogues gallery is the most overrated ever. The re-imagined origin stories for those characters is why our generation blindly follows that mindset that the very phrase "rogues gallery" = Batman. Just in terms of comics, I'm not even sure if he'd rank in my top 5.

Everything in this post is wrong. Bizarro, Zod, and Doomsday all share essentially the same powers, those of Supes, regardless of their origin. Of course if you compare Bats B-class villains with Supes Class A it makes for a better argument, but quite frankly, there's no comparison with Joker, Two Face, Ra's, Bane, etc.

Shit, even Vegeta's M.O. is more compelling than Luthor having to join the hair club for men.

A character's powerset =/= how good of a villain they are. Zod and especially Bizarro have so much more to offer than just how they fight Superman. And Doomsday doesn't have Superman's powers at all. I would also argue that Vegeta is one of the all-time great villains so I'm not sure what your point is there. Two-Face is a perfect example of a character who was made what he was because of B:TAS, and the way Bane's character has completely changed since his original incarnation says as much as you need to about his staying power.

I'm not a DC fan! DC has two people worth caring about and the rest are terrible. It's just that those two guys piss all over Marvels guys and people in here never get it.

I'd have Batman Begins and The Dark Knight over all Marvel Studios films. Batman is the best superhero of all time but after the Bat-family and his rogues gallery, I prefer more Marvel superheroes. I don't give a shit about sides. I like comic book films from DC and Marvel to do well providing they deserve to.

I'd agree with that. Barman and Superman over all, then Marvels guys, then the rest of DC.

Rogues make the superhero, and by that definition, Superman fucking sucks. Would be like if Goku's arch-nemesis was Dr. Briefs.

This is a common misconception and if anything is one of the many myths that people who just write Superman off because "he's invincible!" always spout.

First of all, Lex Luthor is one of the greatest villains of all-time, no matter what the medium. An alien comes to earth and is the perfect example of everything humanity should be. A genius level human finds this to be the greatest affront to humankind imaginable and does everything he can to bring an end to this mockery of what a normal person can accomplish. He battles the strongest creature on earth with his mind. It's perfect.

Bizarro. Once again with Superman you have to get creative and subversive with his rogues. It can't just be Batman "they're cool and creepy!" character designs. Bizarro is one of the most interesting villains in any comic. He can go from funny to terrifying in two pages. He is essentially the Willial Regal of comic villains.

Mr Mxyzpltk is another great example of how you have to think creatively to make a great Superman villain. They can't just be "oh man, can Superman beat this guy up??" That is the archetype of so many comics over the course of history, but the most iconic comic ever avoids this cliche much of the time.

Except with Doomsday, the one badass who is a straight forward world killer, and you know what? He fucking KILLS SUPERMAN.

Oh yeah, and then there's Darkseid, Toyman, Zod, Parasite.. but yeah Superman's villains suck. He can't compete with the Mad Hatter, a small weird man who drugs children with tea, or Zsasz, a serial killer because... well yeah he can be. I fucking love Batman but the sad truth is without the Animated Series, his rogues gallery is the most overrated ever. The re-imagined origin stories for those characters is why our generation blindly follows that mindset that the very phrase "rogues gallery" = Batman. Just in terms of comics, I'm not even sure if he'd rank in my top 5.

Everything in this post is wrong. Bizarro, Zod, and Doomsday all share essentially the same powers, those of Supes, regardless of their origin. Of course if you compare Bats B-class villains with Supes Class A it makes for a better argument, but quite frankly, there's no comparison with Joker, Two Face, Ra's, Bane, etc.

Shit, even Vegeta's M.O. is more compelling than Luthor having to join the hair club for men.

A character's powerset =/= how good of a villain they are. Zod and especially Bizarro have so much more to offer than just how they fight Superman. And Doomsday doesn't have Superman's powers at all. I would also argue that Vegeta is one of the all-time great villains so I'm not sure what your point is there. Two-Face is a perfect example of a character who was made what he was because of B:TAS, and the way Bane's character has completely changed since his original incarnation says as much as you need to about his staying power.

Their powerset determines how much of a threat they are to the superhero in relation to heros powerset. The only credible villains to Superman are those that have his powers. Doomsday lacks, what, the heat vision and the ability to fly? He's still "invincible" in the same vein as Supes.

My comment about Vegeta was in reference to how when the hero is made nearly invincible, the only credible threat to their existence are those villains that share their powerset, which severely limits their possible rogues. I was complimenting how Vegeta was made into such a compelling villain, despite that inherent narrative constraint.

I can't comment on the evolution of Batman rogues over the past 15 years or so because I haven't read a DC comic book since middle school, so you could very well be right in all of that regard. But just because the characters were changed over time doesn't mean they're not superior (more entertaining?) to Supermans foes. 

There's an argument about medium here, how it's harder to tell a nuanced story with a more subtle villain in two hours relative to dozens of issues of a comic released in a monthly format. There's just a lot more room to breathe in the latter. Superhero Movies have different needs.

That said, this argument is so headache-inducing, I don't want to flesh it out.

• Like 2

There's an argument about medium here, how it's harder to tell a nuanced story with a more subtle villain in two hours relative to dozens of issues of a comic released in a monthly format. There's just a lot more room to breathe in the latter. Superhero Movies have different needs.

You have to admit, this is perhaps my finest work. I always liked the Punk arc from Pipebomb to hissyfit, but this will go on forever.

You have to admit, this is perhaps my finest work. I always liked the Punk arc from Pipebomb to hissyfit, but this will go on forever.

This is all Jae's fault for not having the will to do what needed done.

• Like 1

From the Marvel Studios documentary on ABC.

guardians-on-set-600x455.jpg?9098e0

I'll save FSW the trouble and make his next post for him:

Blah blah bloddy bloddy blah meat popsicle blah blah blah republican propaganda blah blah blah Superman monies blah

• Like 4

This is all Jae's fault for not having the will to do what needed done.

giphy.gif

The film that started Marvel Studios, Iron Man:

Tank.gif

• Like 1

As far as rogue's galleries go, the only guy that can give Batman a legit run for the Money is Spidey.

Yeah, we conclusively established that Spider-Man had the best rogues' gallery a while back. Don't know why this is coming up again.

As far as rogue's galleries go, the only guy that can give Batman a legit run for the Money is Spidey.

Yeah, we conclusively established that Spider-Man had the best rogues' gallery a while back. Don't know why this is coming up again.

Because contentious arguments always get regurgitated on the board. #manofsteel

• Like 1