DVDVR Message Board

Thanks guys.

We're home now. The tests concluded that she has viral gastroenteritis, or in non-medical terms, a bad case of stomach flu, which is surprising for how much pain she's in (she had a natural birth for our daughter without painkiller, so if she says something hurts, I fucking believe her). She'll be laid up at home and only able to consume clear liquids for a while, but I'm glad it's not something more serious like appendicitis or God forbid cancer.

• Like 1

We took a trip to Giant after I picked her up from the hospital and got her some gelatin and chicken broth. I probably should have suggested Gatorade, but I'll mention it when it comes to hydration.

I was going to post this in the dad zone thread but that seems like more of a positive, helpful, cohort-like thing than anyone who needs to hear what I'm going to say.

I have this friend, and we talk basically every day. Today she had to talk to her father about him claiming her as a dependent (she is absolutely not). So I sit down to watch Dallas @ Anaheim to see if I can successfully will the fucking Disney Ducks out of the Stanley Cup. I make it to the end of the second period when my IM goes off. Turns out that the conversation went so well that he told her he never wants to see her again. This is because of maybe $1000.

So FUCK you If you're a father and you think you are capable of saying a thing like that under any circumstance other than malicious, destructive antagonism. You deserve every kind of cancer you fear.

• Like 2

I'm a week removed from this, so I might as well talk about it.

I'd been sick before but, other than a childhood eye surgery, I'd NEVER been in the hospital.  Last Friday night, I was breathing but it felt like I wasn't getting enough air in my lungs.  I went to a nearby Express Care figuring that I'd just get some antibiotics and that would be it.  Instead, I was told to get a ride to the hospital to get checked out...they didn't want me driving myself since they were worried about a possible heart issue.

Long story short, I was in the hospital until Sunday afternoon with acute bronchitis...high blood pressure was the least surprising revelation of the weekend, but I've started taking medication for that too.  I do have medical insurance but I have no idea how much of this visit will be covered...and this at a time when I'm already in a ton of debt.

I'm doing relatively well now other than a bit of congestion and cough.  Still, it was my first real medical scare...guess I'm officially middle-aged.  My dad has blood pressure issues too, so I guess that runs in the family.

I was lucky that my dad was able to drive me to the hospital, check in on me, and look in on my dogs for the weekend...so I'm glad about that.

I was going to post this in the dad zone thread but that seems like more of a positive, helpful, cohort-like thing than anyone who needs to hear what I'm going to say.

I have this friend, and we talk basically every day. Today she had to talk to her father about him claiming her as a dependent (she is absolutely not). So I sit down to watch Dallas @ Anaheim to see if I can successfully will the fucking Disney Ducks out of the Stanley Cup. I make it to the end of the second period when my IM goes off. Turns out that the conversation went so well that he told her he never wants to see her again. This is because of maybe $1000.

So FUCK you If you're a father and you think you are capable of saying a thing like that under any circumstance other than malicious, destructive antagonism. You deserve every kind of cancer you fear.

Sounds like that's a pretty crappy father, but I legit lol'd at the bolded and that whole sentence. Bravo.

You know what's awesome?

Being told you can't test for a position because you didn't already test for it before the opening was announced. After all, we only want hires who can do their jobs with ESP!

Man, my home state can really be is ass backwards sometimes.

I'm not sure if this fits, but I'll put it here.

I hate when you hear that someone is sick/dying/in a bad way and someone else says "I don't like them in their professional capacity, but I wish them the best."

What a backhanded get well soon response. Just because you don't mean it as an insult doesn't mean it isn't an insult. It's annoying.

If you can't just say "I hope they get better soon," then drink a glass of STFU.  Whether you like them as an athlete/actor/musician/politician/animal balloon artist is of no matter in this case.  

• Like 2

Minor FU to my left ear.  Woke up this morning and couldn't hear out of it.  Infection in there turned nasty pretty quickly.  Add that to severe nerve deafness in my right (rifle shot with the muzzle right next to my unprotected ear) and I can't hear/understand a hell of a lot at the moment.

My father-in-law passed away last night after 23 weeks in various hospitals. My wife got a call that he got pneumonia again and that the nurses thought this was it. He died ten minutes after she got there, but I was at a focus group at the time. It's hard to know how to feel about this; it's sad that he died like this, but at the same time there's a sense of relief that this whole ordeal is over.

When my dad died after being very sick and very miserable for about 2 years I had the same issues. I missed him and was crushed that he was gone but also had a sense of relief because he wasn't suffering anymore.