DVDVR Message Board

Chia-Liang Liu and Chang Cheh were always good for ending their films with the villain gushing blood from his eye sockets or something.   It really is funny how Pei Mei's defense against Monkey Grabs the Pearls is handled so seriously. 

That bit would usually generate laughter up to the point where Pei Mai drags you fifty feet by using his groin muscles and smashes your kneecaps.

The fight between Lo Lieh and Gordon Liu in Clan of the White Lotus is balls to the walls awesome.

Curandero was fucking great. 

Rendezvous With Death was on yesterday.  I never get tired of that movie.  I missed half of Full Moon Scimitar packing my stuff away for the big move next week.

Restored version on DVD

Celestial remastered pretty much all of the Shaw Bros stuff, but most of the DVDs are out of print now.

WHICH MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE!

Not much about home releases of Hong Kong/kung fu movies makes sense, which is a big reason piracy helped to kill the industry. 

Celestial seems content to license out the movies to El Rey and digitally on Hulu and iTunes, but I doubt they will release anything on physical media anytime soon

Fortune Star (owns the Golden Harvest library and Bruce Lee's movies) is totally shady and sends out upscales as remasters and charges legit companies an arm and leg for licensing

Warner Bros has been sitting on tons of films (including classics like Pedicab Driver) for years with no plans to release them in any format

The Weinsteins (Miramax) are holding the rights to a bunch of stuff like most of Jackie Chan's 80s - 90s movies but refuse to let other companies buy them out - they just keep licensing them out for cheap $5 blu rays and Netflix - worst of all, their versions are often heavily cut/reedited - the fact that there isn't a legit version of Drunken Master II with English subtitles is a shame

Boy House of Traps is fucked up. They just dumped a dude onto a plate of spikes to see if he would recant his statement calling the prince a traitor and proceeded to kick him around the floor with the plate sticking to his torso! Brutal.

EDIT: It's also incredible! The traps laid out in said house are awesomely elaborate, and the guys that attempt it have some neat tricks up their sleeves. I hope this airs again so I can watch the whole thing.

EDIT II: Apparently it's a Five Venoms film, which I didn't know, and is the rarest with only one known full VHS cut owned by someone in Japan which is so damaged that it can't be remastered. Just to show you how sick this one is, check out Celestial's trailer:

• Like 1

Just as a heads-up, Saturday is the MonstroCity Marathon featuring Curandero, City of the Living Dead, Zombie, and C.H.U.D. (man I haven't seen that since I was little). Tonight's kung-fu is Heroes Shed No Tears and Heroes Two, and Monday has a Carpenter double-header with Escape from New York and The Fog. They're also playing Boxcar Bertha and Duel twice each that day (as if they haven't played Duel enough). 

Heroes Shed No Tears is pretty awesome but it is a little too weapon intensive for me.  I prefer hand to hand epics to wuxia sword battles.

The wealth of Alexander Fu Sheng movies that have been on lately makes me wistful.  The man was taken away from us too soon.

I caught about half of Heroes Shed No Tears and it was the shit. I dig the weapons films because the different weapons are so bizarre and interesting. 

Four Rooms is on Wednesday after midnight (Tuesday going into Wednesday) and that is one very underrated film. Tim Roth kills it as a beleaguered bellboy at a hotel where some very, very strange things end up occurring, like a Satanic sex ritual, Rodriguez's crazy kids misbehaving with a hostile Mexican mobster played by Antonio Banderas as their father, and finally Quentin Tarantino in the penthouse hanging with Bruce Willis and Paul Calderon eager to square up a very dangerous bet. Nobody talks about it but it's hilarious; Quentin kind of skewers himself in his segment and the part with the kids is a riot. 

Kung Fu on Wednesday starting early is Ten Tigers of Kwang Tung, The Thunderbolt Fist and The Deadly Knives (both of the latter two replaying on Thursday with Shaolin Soccer, then Shaolin Prince and Shaolin Temple for the Thursday double feature). 

Boxcar Bertha is THE SHIT. A delectable Barbara Hershey being gangsta? David Carradine being David Carradine? Victor Argo out of nowhere? Scorcese kicking ass well before he touched anything else? I can't even get into the awesome racial/socio-political subtexts and Bonnie and Clyde ripoff theme the film has in general. This movie is just the best.

On Saturday there's a LUCIO FULCI FILM FEST. Even though I probably own all of those films, seeing that is on my satellite for free almost gave me a heart attack. As far as I could see you have Zombie, City of the Living Dead, Don't Torture A Duckling, The New York Ripper, and who knows what for the fifth one.

• Like 1

Man, the end of Django, Kill! ...If You Live, Shoot!...

The house fire is just brutal. I don't think there's a better film metaphor for hubris and greed than a thief's house burning down and getting covered in MOLTEN GOLD when he tries to retrieve his stolen booty. And the girl walking around literally on fire, the cemetery completely overturned, and the two kids pretending to torture each other... just stone cold hopeless.

Now Keoma is on again and I advise you to watch it.

EDIT: Oh, and the Fulci lineup tonight is

The Black Cat

Don't Torture A Duckling

City of the Living Dead

Zombie 

The New York Ripper

I forgot Olga Karlatos was in Keoma. She has the most piercing and beautiful green eyes... no wonder Fulci had her fate be what it was in Zombie! 

Awesome exchange from Franco Nero to cowboy cretin in Keoma: 

"I never liked people who talk too much. Get off your horse."

*laughter*

"I said get off your horse."

*blasts dude with double-barrel shotgun*

Nero is such a badass. He shoots two guys, draws down on another who throws his gun, and a guy picks up a fully loaded rifle. Nero, looking away, tells him to unload it, and HE DOES. "You missed one" says Nero, and the guy shucks the final bullet out and tosses the rifle. Nero knocks on the bar and tells the barkeep to give Olga her drink, he starts to walk out, the guy that had the rifle comes up on him and he nonchalantly knocks his dick in the dirt. Badass, I tells ya!

EDIT: Watching Don't Torture A Duckling (which is quite the venomous excoriation of both organized religion and religious superstition) and they announced the One-Armed Swordsman trilogy for Thursday and a Carmageddon Marathon on Saturday with Duel, Fast Company, and 

DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY

Oh hell yes

• Like 2

I remember seeing Dirty Crazy at the drive-in with my parents when I was like 5. The thing I remembered about it the most was the ending. Greatest movie ending EVAR!

Yeah, the ending of Django...Kill was tremendous.  Didn't know if I'd like the movie considering how awesome Django was, but it ended up being lots of fun.

Keoma is just on another level.  I could honestly watch that many times and not get sick of it.  Aside from the epic music, I love the scene where he held up four fingers.  Putting the camera on that showing him count down and it reveals the enemies was killer.  It's easy to see why it deserved the awards it received.

Speaking of Enzo G. Castellari, it'll never happen but it would be awesome if we could get a double bill of Orca and this. 

Greatwhite1.jpg

Never to be aired on TV due to Universal's lawsuit that saw it never be shown again or get a video release after already making $18 million in the States in its only theatrical run. The lawsuit put Film Ventures International out of business.

Speaking of Enzo G. Castellari, it'll never happen but it would be awesome if we could get a double bill of Orca and this. 

Greatwhite1.jpg

Never to be aired on TV due to Universal's lawsuit that saw it never be shown again or get a video release after already making $18 million in the States in its only theatrical run. The lawsuit put Film Ventures International out of business.

Port Harbor ... izzat near the city of Townsville?  I hear that's where they invented ATM machines.  WCW Wrestling used to tour there.

• Like 1