DVDVR Message Board

THEY LIVE~!  TONIGHT AT 5:45 EASTERN~!  WATCH IT~!  NADA VS. FRANK ARMITAGE~!   BEST FUCKING MOVIE BRAWL EVAR~!

This is part of the John Carpenter marathon going on right now as we speak.

I saw Zombie for the first time, finally.  I DVR'd it during the day and then deleted it, electing to DVR the night showing instead since I think I read that El Rey shows edited versions during the day.  I love their disclaimer about showing everything in order to "preserve the creative vision."

I loved it.  Gory as fuck, dubbed because half the cast spoke no English, and rude 70s titties.

If anyone knows more about the film, can you answer this?  I read on IMDB that the New York city bookends were added after Dawn of the Dead came out.  If that's the case, what was the original jumping off point?  Without all that happened in New York, why would the two main characters need to go investigate the island?

I love their disclaimer about showing everything in order to "preserve the creative vision."

It is America.  Gore during the day is fine; boobs are not.

And lets face it.  70's exploitation movie nudity is waaaaaaaay more blush inducing than today's standards.  

Barbara Bouchet's infamous scene in Don't Torture A Duckling leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination.  That's not a bad thing.  Just sayin' is all.

• Like 1

The end to Zombie cracks me up just for

everyone nonchalantly driving past the zombies on the Brooklyn Bridge. "Ah shit, the fucking zombies are protesting again. Gonna be late getting home."

• Like 2

I'm watching The Battle Wizard right now and I swear I've never seen anything this absurd on the network. I just said aloud to myself "she just wrote on that snake". Take that into consideration.

EDIT: Good lord now there is a guy with fire breath and a guy in a gorilla suit doing kung fu. And a rapist with magical powers! That beats the shit out of Zombie having a shark vs. undead battle.

I was so wrapped up in the titties I forgot Zombie vs Shark. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention ZOMBIE VS SHARK.

And Shark doesn't eke out the decisive victory, getting bitten in the process. Mufukkin' zombie sharks in Italy, man! 30, 40 years later, we're putting them toothy bastards in natural disasters, while zombie sharks have been right there!

The end to Zombie cracks me up just for

everyone nonchalantly driving past the zombies on the Brooklyn Bridge. "Ah shit, the fucking zombies are protesting again. Gonna be late getting home."

LOL.  Yeah, that was the obvious "we didn't have budget or permits to shut down the bridge."  Fucking amazing.

Inferno was on in the middle of the night Sunday and it struck me how many of the kills in it and Suspiria are done by the dreaded witchy poo hands. Speaking of murderous witchy poo hands, El Rey really needs to air Superstition which usually airs on IFC periodically around Halloween. Love that silly ass thing.

THEY LIVE~!  TONIGHT AT 5:45 EASTERN~!  WATCH IT~!  NADA VS. FRANK ARMITAGE~!   BEST FUCKING MOVIE BRAWL EVAR~!

This is part of the John Carpenter marathon going on right now as we speak.

I was beyond delighted to see this on TV again.  One because it's Roddy the Piper /Santino, and two because it's such a cool concept for a movie.  Couldn't watch due to Flash/AoS/O's game, but can't wait to sit down and watch this.

Battle Wizard sounds so damn absurd I feel I missed out on something special.  Need to see if that's airing again.  I'm also curious about Web of Death tomorrow night.  It in theory sounds like fun, not sure how good it is but will check it out.

Inferno was on in the middle of the night Sunday and it struck me how many of the kills in it and Suspiria are done by the dreaded witchy poo hands. 

Probably because those are actually Dario Argento's hands. He wanted to kill some women, obviously.

I caught the end of Web of Death when it first aired but don't remember much about it. Also caught the end of They Live and forgot just how perfect it is. If anyone missed it they're doubling down with a Carpenterror Marathon soon featuring The Fog, etc. 

Really looking forward to the Bob Zemeckis Director's Chair interview. After looking at his Wiki I had forgot how many great films he had a part in; Death Becomes Her and Contact are specifically two I never thought of. Also had no idea he directed the amazing Flight. And he has produced several horror films like The Frighteners and the remakes of House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, and House of Wax.

EDIT: They Live and Assault on Precinct 13 are on Monday night if you want to check them before the marathon

Just came back from the store and the amazing sequence in The Bells of Death where the two guys fight in a temple during a rainstorm with candles on their swords was on. They have to toss the lit candles into the air to attack each other. One of the best pieces of cinematography I've seen in a kung fu film and I'm kicking myself for not watching all of this.

Inferno was on in the middle of the night Sunday and it struck me how many of the kills in it and Suspiria are done by the dreaded witchy poo hands. 

Probably because those are actually Dario Argento's hands. He wanted to kill some women, obviously.

Yeah, that's true.

The hands also happen to be why I don't see The Beyond and Inferno as an apples to apples comparison; because Schweick and Joe The Plumber are much more fun and inspired killers than Dario's played out hands. Well, that and Inferno's actual big deal holy shit final killer ended up being some goober in a cheap knockoff La Parka costume bursting through a mirror.....that was far inferior to even those cringe-worthy fake looking spiders in The Beyond. Seriously WTF was up with that being the witch's most terrifying form? What's even better though is that legendary Umberto Lenzi crapfest Ghosthouse either used the very same costume (or possibly an even cheaper knockoff of it) to also be its big deal holy shit killer.  

So the gal that got toejammed in The New York Ripper was supposed to be Fulci's answer to Angie Dickinson in Dressed To Kill? Oh Lucio, you sleazebucket.

Speaking of sleaze, I immediately (and only) recognized the main guy in Deep Red as being the grubby landlord creep from the Andrew McCarthy/Mariel Hemingway episode of Tales From The Crypt where wussboy's love potion completely backfired.

I forgot he was the lead in Blowup. And check this out:

Around 1967, Hemmings was briefly considered for the role of Alex in a planned film version of Anthony Burgess's novel A Clockwork Orange (1962), which was to be based on a screen treatment by satirist Terry Southern and British photographer Michael Cooper. Cooper and the Rolling Stones rock band were reportedly upset by the move and it was decided to return to the original plan in which Mick Jagger, the lead vocalist of the Rolling Stones, would play Alex, with the rest of the Stones as his droog gang; the production was shelved after Britain's chief censor, the Lord Chamberlain, indicated that he would not permit it to be made.[7]

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

In a similarly weird and El Rey-related moment I watched about 45 minutes of Once Upon A Time in the West on my friend's Netflix before passing out the other night on his couch (my singular Leone blind spot) and saw that Argento was co-writer. I knew but had forgot and it was a strange rediscovery.

Was checking the channel guide for El Rey yesterday and it had a pirate movie listed twice that day.  It was apparently from 1948 and starred Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  Didn't see the first airing of it, but the one at 11pm was definitely not related to pirates.  Or from 1948.  I have Comcast.  Did anybody else get this because it was confusing to see that listed.

Was checking the channel guide for El Rey yesterday and it had a pirate movie listed twice that day.  It was apparently from 1948 and starred Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  Didn't see the first airing of it, but the one at 11pm was definitely not related to pirates.  Or from 1948.  I have Comcast.  Did anybody else get this because it was confusing to see that listed.

I have Comcast and saw that listed as well, but I'm in Maryland also -- Montgomery County.  I thought it was weird that a Judy Garland movie was on El Rey.

Comcast frequently fucks up listings in my area.  Twice I've seen Halloween and Friday the 13th listed with descriptions of the original films, only to find the remakes airing when I turned them on.

I hope you guys DVR'd The Church tonight if you haven't seen it yet. The unofficial second sequel to Demons, it's a real masterwork and one of the few films Michele Soavi directed (so far, I mean seven films isn't a huge filmography for someone who's been working forever). Some really wild setpieces, a ton of gore, and the scariest depiction of Satan I've ever seen on film... that goat is just flat-out creepy. 

BTW, if you're reading this, it's still on right now...

EDIT: Well it just ended. Apparently the soundtrack has Goblin playing Philip Glass songs?! Can't think of anything more fitting. And the body creature that shows up at the end may be more insane than the raping goat. 

I hope you guys DVR'd The Church tonight if you haven't seen it yet. The unofficial second sequel to Demons, it's a real masterwork and one of the few films Michele Soavi directed (so far, I mean seven films isn't a huge filmography for someone who's been working forever). Some really wild setpieces, a ton of gore, and the scariest depiction of Satan I've ever seen on film... that goat is just flat-out creepy. 

BTW, if you're reading this, it's still on right now...

EDIT: Well it just ended. Apparently the soundtrack has Goblin playing Philip Glass songs?! Can't think of anything more fitting. And the body creature that shows up at the end may be more insane than the raping goat. 

It's all about the freaky harelip, man. That's what puts the raping goat over the top. That baphomet mask left behind at the very end was also pretty freaky. ElRey really needs to show The Sect though; lots of creepy imagery in that one.