DVDVR Message Board

The bitchiest, most defensive fans in America

Swift

I'm no fan of the 19 amendment, but what the fuck are men's rights activists?

Anyway, since we're listamaniaing it:

- Redskin's name change (it's racist, just admit it)

- MMA fans

- animal rights activists

- Edward Snowden fans (not to be confused with Manningnation)

- Marijuana reform advocates (don't need to smoke the stuff to realize it's absurd for this to remain illegal while alcohol isn't. And if you don't think alcohol is more harmful than marijuana, you have led a very sheltered life)

- Dawkin-style hardcore atheists (okay not really, just hardcore in the fact that I know your religion and associated dogma is bullshit)

- Libertarians (okay again not really, but it ties in to my drug views that I don't believe the government has any right to regulate matters that affect only the individual, and no one else. See also: marriage, gay. But obv beyond that I'm a communist)

- Star Wars buffs

- Pit bull owners

- Cat owners

I see soccer fans taking the whole shabang.

I'd be amazed if soccer fans won mostly because they're 100% right in their "Americans are too stupid to accept how great this sport is" viewpoint. I'd rather split sports into "My athletes are tougher than yours" guys, because I'd rather dive around like a big girl than be Junior Seau.

To be fair, I was a Naderite until I realized the U.S. Electoral system is designed so that voting third party essentially results in throwing away your vote. Thus his lil' stunt in 2000 giving us W. Thanks, Ralph.

The useful third parties in American history have been those that have either proved themselves to be a such a significant force that a major party has shifted to incorporate their followers or have prevented a major party from winning to the point that it blows up and some new major party arises. The Dixiecrats are an example of an influential third party, as they heralded the shift in the Republican party to accommodate racist white Southerners, leading to the current era of partisanship. The Free Soil Party destroyed the Whigs by making their intraparty compromises on slavery untenable.

Nader accomplished neither. His stated belief was that the two parties were practically the same, but the results showed just how wrong he was. If you wanted to blow up the system, Nader was a bad candidate and the Green Party was a bad vehicle.

They should run separate tournaments on Deadspin and Jezebel:

Deadspin final four: Soccer Fans, Twitter femininsts, Beliebers, New Jerseyites

Jezebel final four: Red Sox fans, Christian conservatives, Woody Allen disciples, anti-vaccination nuts

The useful third parties in American history have been those that have either proved themselves to be a such a significant force that a major party has shifted to incorporate their followers or have prevented a major party from winning to the point that it blows up and some new major party arises. The Dixiecrats are an example of an influential third party, as they heralded the shift in the Republican party to accommodate racist white Southerners, leading to the current era of partisanship. The Free Soil Party destroyed the Whigs by making their intraparty compromises on slavery untenable.

As a matter of forcing one of the two main parties to adopt a particular position, that's about all 3rd parties are good for. My comment was more about post-1860, when the current party system stabilized (to a degree). But the winner-take-all nature of U.S. Elections, in contrast to proportional U.K.-style ones, marginalizes third parties to the extent that they either 1) have no effect (majority of the time), 2) force one of the main parties to adopt their platform after the fact (rarely), or 3) fuck shit up a la Nader in 2000 (very rarely). And I say fuck shit up because obviously the voters who voted Nader has a closer electoral preference to Gore than Bush, yet by voting Nader they essentially handed Bush the election. Well, them and Rehnquist, but that's neither here nor there. But in 2/3 of those scenarios, voting third party effectively wastes your vote.

Nader accomplished neither. His stated belief was that the two parties were practically the same, but the results showed just how wrong he was. If you wanted to blow up the system, Nader was a bad candidate and the Green Party was a bad vehicle.

He costed Gore the election, so he certainly had an effect. But again, as Nader voter preferences were obviously closer to Gore than Bush, by voting Nader, they were basically voting for Bush. Of course, this type of result is only applicable to ultra-close races, but is a consequence none the less.

Soccer fans will win just because they're an easy scapegoat for every other bracket. 'Murica.

I think soccer fans are probably going to fall in the second round to Red Sox fans.
As a lifelong Yanks fan, I suspect that the Bosox's historical perception of loveable incompetence will lose out to the fact that every one in America hates soccer. Everyone.

Soccer fans will win just because they're an easy scapegoat for every other bracket. 'Murica.

I think soccer fans are probably going to fall in the second round to Red Sox fans.
As a lifelong Yanks fan, I suspect that the Bosox's historical perception of loveable incompetence will lose out to the fact that every one in America hates soccer. Everyone.
Boston fans will win out, on account of most people in America not caring about soccer more than hating it.

You know how every Christian who believes Christians are now "persecuted" in America invariably believes that because Christians (sometimes) lack the power to enforce their religious beliefs upon on others, and because people are free to mock Christians and Christianity without being stoned to death?

That - Religion x about 5000% more misogyny = men's rights activists.

• Like 1

I said this in another thread only a couple days ago but I am amazed the Red Sox have replaced the Yankees for most hated. Some of that HAS to do with success. Prior to 2004 there was no hate.. I would even go as far to say that they were sympathetic.

Back to soccer.. I'm American. My knowledge of the game is very limited. But did I watch Manchester United vs. Olympiacos when I got home from work? You bet! I enjoy the game. I'll be balls deep in the World Cup also even after U.S. is eliminated. I don't think I've ever met an annoying soccer fan. All the Brits I've met are good people and more than happy to educate me on the game.

You know how every Christian who believes Christians are now "persecuted" in America invariably believes that because Christians (sometimes) lack the power to enforce their religious beliefs upon on others, and because people are free to mock Christians and Christianity without being stoned to death?

That - Religion x about 5000% more misogyny = men's rights activists.

You mean

nomaam2.jpg ?

• Like 1