DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: THE MOONDOGS

RIPPA

Greatest gimmick in wrestling!  I was living in Arkansas when Moondog Mayne died in 1977- so I go waaay back with Moondogs.

Cornette is awesome in this.

I love the change of basically a pretty boy blond bomber Latham into Spot. 

I actually like the Moondogs vs Garea/Martel title change: 

but I think the Fuji/Saito one might be better.

I always loved that there was a random Moondog Rex hanging out in WCW in early 91 and of course that he had been Smash for a taping or two.

I've seen very little of Moondogs vs Jarrett/Lawler from 92 but I do want to see more.

I have seen a ton of 93 though and like a lot of it from a storyline perspective, especially any time they got to beat the crap out of Brian Christopher.

Harper and Rowan are sort of like the modern day Moondogs.

I think my favorite Moondog related story was when WWE tried to repackage Randy Colley as the very first Smash from Demolition, but when they debuted in a dark match the audience would chant MOONDOG REX~! whenever he tagged in because they knew who he was despite the get-up and the face paint..

Needless to say that by the time Demolition were ready for television, Barry Darsow had been called up to take Smash's gimmick.

I guess Jarrett's backyard was the Louisiana bayou that week.

There's stories about guys getting to WMC, seeing they were working the Moondogs and just leaving the studio rather than take a hideous beating from them.

Is the USWA with Richard Lee when they really first came out as these completely insane things from the bayou?  Watching the old WWF footage and some of their other older stuff, they really didn't seem to work that madman style and were more normal Kiwi Sheepherders from Portland rather than the Sheepherders against the Fantastics.  Keeping track of which Moondogs were around at a particular time sounds like a job for ... someone else.

I remember some mempho angle where the Moondogs were face and feuding with someone.  Richard Lee is at the studio and gets confronted by the other guys, Richard says that the Moondogs weren't there, they were at the gym.  At this point, I think it was Spot and Cujo... and it didn't really looked like they hit a gym unless it was to steal food out of the garbage cans like a pair of raccoons.

• Like 1

I remember some mempho angle where the Moondogs were face and feuding with someone.  Richard Lee is at the studio and gets confronted by the other guys, Richard says that the Moondogs weren't there, they were at the gym.  At this point, I think it was Spot and Cujo... and it didn't really looked like they hit a gym unless it was to steal food out of the garbage cans like a pair of raccoons.

The angle is from this episode here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/uswa-memphis-tv-191993-review.html

So, the Moondogs are my second favorite tag team of all time behind Demoltion. Their 1992/1993 run is truly an amazing run as they kill it as both the top heel tag team and later the top face tag team. They were honestly the most over wrestlers in the promotion and always had the crowd barking loud for them. Their manager, Richard Lee, was nothing short of fantastic. Lee is in my top 5 manager's ever and is probably one of the most underrated people ever in wrestling.

• Like 2

HA!  That segment where Christopher is trying to get people to put up their hair in his match was pretty funny if I remember correctly.

HA!  That segment where Christopher is trying to get people to put up their hair in his match was pretty funny if I remember correctly.

Pretty much all of Brian's stuff was good from the period. It was a little too good though as he really does become annoying and too much after a while.