DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

What was the last Taker Mania match that wasn't awesome? Punk last year was fantastic; the Michaels matches were incredible; loved the match vs. Edge; of the last six years, the two HHH matches were my least favorite of Taker's Mania stuff and still great matches.

His Batista match at 23, maybe? More likely Mark Henry at 22, though.

The Batista match smokes the Punk and Hunter matches. That Punk match was really quite average. I think people get a hardon for it because it stood out on a really shitty show.

The Henry match is also quite good, I would say. I'm probably in the minority because I thought the second HBK match and the two HHH matches got so overly WWE epic that they were kind of annoying. I don't go back and watch them because there are too many eye-roll moments (see: HBK's reffing). 

I watched the Undertaker streak DVD a few months ago, and I was actually surprised at how good some matches were that I didn't remember as being that good. Taker/Flair was straight awesome, for example. Just an ugly brawl. The very first Taker/HHH was better than either of the last two as well, with a more believable false finish than was seen in either of the latter two. Taker/Henry has a bad rep, but was strong as well. 

I would say the last mediocre match Taker had at WM would be versus Edge, whom I find hard to watch when not in a tag team setting or jumping off ladders, but it was still watchable. The last actually bad one he had at WM was probably that Bossman match in the cell. 

Going through the top 30 wrestlemania matches, and right before savage vs warrior at VII is the beginning of the streak...bet they had no idea what they had when it started...except essentially this is a glorified squash

I just skipped through most of No Way Out 2003 to watch Rock/Hogan II. 

Hogan in 2002-2003 might be one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. He has great facial expressions. In the WM X8 match, he gets this amazing evil gleam in his eye when he remembers that he has his weight belt to beat the Rock down with, for example. He can't really move that well anymore, but he makes up for that by having these great facial and bodily things he does, and I also enjoy his vocal selling. I just have an urge to root for him that he pulls out of me. I know he's had better years in-ring, but this is the most enjoyable I think he ever was. I have mentioned before how much I love his gimmick of being over-the-hill and susceptible to a loss where he never used to be before, but even with that, he's still Hulk Fucking Hogan and will take you out if you take him lightly. His work in the ring goes right along with that. 

I have been watching quite a bit of '02/'03 WWE the past couple days and my Hogan appreciation level is through the roof. He had good matches with Rock, Lesnar, Jericho, Taker, etc. Those are all good wrestlers in their own right, but he had such an awesome year anyway. 

In Rock/Hogan II specifically, I want to also give credit to The Rock for his heel work. First of all, his entrance with the organ and the spotlight is one of the best entrances ever for a cocky heel. It's like something '80s Flair should have had. Him mocking the Hogan chants jealously at the beginning of the match just puts over what his whole problem is with Hogan and the crowd. Plus, he uses stalling effectively instead of just doing it because it's a heel thing to do. Oh yeah, and I love how Rock's thing is to mockingly wear the signature clothing of his big-time opponents while he is in control and attacking them. That's just dick. 

Those Rock/Hogan matches are so minimal in terms of moves, but I really love them both so much. 

It's interesting you are watching that period because the question was asked, "When was Taker's last bad match?". My opinion is his 3rd HHH Mania match and before that the WM25 match against HBK. But if we are going to talk about a match that, IIRC, was universally panned: Hogan/Taker Judgement Day 2002. After reviewing WWE 2002, were does it rank in WWE matches? What do you think about the match while watching it in 2014?

For the 4842003923th time today, time to queue up The Network!

I just skipped through most of No Way Out 2003 to watch Rock/Hogan II. 

Hogan in 2002-2003 might be one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. He has great facial expressions. In the WM X8 match, he gets this amazing evil gleam in his eye when he remembers that he has his weight belt to beat the Rock down with, for example. He can't really move that well anymore, but he makes up for that by having these great facial and bodily things he does, and I also enjoy his vocal selling. I just have an urge to root for him that he pulls out of me. I know he's had better years in-ring, but this is the most enjoyable I think he ever was. I have mentioned before how much I love his gimmick of being over-the-hill and susceptible to a loss where he never used to be before, but even with that, he's still Hulk Fucking Hogan and will take you out if you take him lightly. His work in the ring goes right along with that. 

I have been watching quite a bit of '02/'03 WWE the past couple days and my Hogan appreciation level is through the roof. He had good matches with Rock, Lesnar, Jericho, Taker, etc. Those are all good wrestlers in their own right, but he had such an awesome year anyway.

Out of likes but always support the love for 02-03 Hulkamania. Super fun run, one of my absolute favorites is the Hogan/Edge vs Billy/Chuck match from 7/4 SD... great tag and the perfect return of Real American.

Mentioned recently loving 2002 WWE and one of my favorite parts of it was the Undisputed Champion as the touring champ of both brands leading to awesome one-off matches. Great getting stuff like Hogan/Regal and Hogan/Flair on RAW then later on matches like Rock/Eddie and Rock/Flair. Definitely had the title feeling most important.

Just rewatching Barely Legal 97. We always talk about people coming from the Indy's to the main promotions and having their movesets neutered. Well, Saturn probably had one of the biggest neuterings when he came to WCW. Did he get hurt or something because damn he used to fly. I saw NONE of that in WCW man.

It's interesting you are watching that period because the question was asked, "When was Taker's last bad match?". My opinion is his 3rd HHH Mania match and before that the WM25 match against HBK.

The first Taker/HBK match is a top five Wrestlemania match of all time. Stick to dehumanizing the women and class action suits because your wrestling opinions are straight garbage.

• Like 3

HBK-Taker at 25 is unbelievable and saved that from going down in the annals of terrible Manias for me, because really, that was a strange show. It had some great individual moments: Steamboat working like it was 1989, Rey squashing JBL, Cena's double AA on Edge and Show.

Otherwise, there was Hardy vs. Hardy which should have been special, but just kind of missed the mark for me. HHH-Orton was trash. I can find something to like in a lot of matches, but that was this feud of pure hate that devolved into a 25-minute shitshow of stomps and restholds. Taker-HBK was the full match that had the epic, Mania feel. Also one of my favorite matches of all-time.

Watching the first Souled Out which I'd never seen.

It's the drizzling shits, natch. It was kind of obvious then, but it's more obvious now that making three people that were synonymous with New York the focal point of the promotion was horribly problematic.

Every time Hogan or the Outsiders went over, the WWE went over. Through that prism, Vince burying people like Goldberg and DDP makes a ton of sense.

On a completely different note, the stage with the KISS style lights was totally bad ass.

Stunned that someone didn't like HBK-Taker WM 25. It's the PERFECT WWE style main event match, right up there with Rock/Austin at X-7. Hunter tried to copy the magic with his Taker matches, but he couldn't do it.

Now, you can say you don't like the WWE main event style of match, but that's a different argument.

Watching Royal Rumble '93, and all I have to say is... What the fuck is Marty Jannetty wearing?

Well two things to say, number 2 being pointing out how bizarre it was to have Mean Gene yell at Sherri, "DAMMIT WOMAN! YOURE HYSTERICAL!!!!"

SHANE MCMAHON VS. KURT ANGLE, KING OF THE RING 2001 -- I don't remember if I saw this or not but remember hearing about how crazy it was. I've always been a bit of a Shane mark. The dude's not afraid to do anything and I appreciate some rich kid's attempt to feel like a valid person by taking nutty, semi-protected bumps. Shane's like the progeny of an investment banker who becomes a crustpunk hobo begging for change with the help of a vegan dog. I haven't seen an Angle match in... geez, a decade? I've seen absolutely zero TNA. I was a huge Kurt fan back in the day -- one of the all-time most entertaining guys in all aspects of wrestling.

This has some good "WTF?" ghoul spots -- Shane doing a shooting star press and Kurt tossing him through glass twice, each time nearly breaking Shane's spine in a failed attempt right before. I mean, the non-glass breaking shots are absolutely f'd up. The amount of misplaced cuts on their flesh is crazy because the glass they used looked like lightbulb glass. It's just disturbing seeing this -- they're cut EVERYWHERE. The Angle Slam off the top rope is completely insane, too.

But the match is pretty ridiculous with casting Shane as Kurt's equal in a bunch of ways. It starts with Angle just demolishing Shane with mat wrestling and then some clubbing forearms. But it morphs into Shane actually hitting moves on Kurt, like a Sharpshooter and almost making him tap with an Ankle Lock. That part's weak. It works much better when Shane can stick Kurt with a lucky punch (I like his punches) and then a crazy dive or something with a kendo stick or garbage can.

I do think it was Kurt's third match of the night. They could have pushed that a bit to start the match explain why Shane was holding his own as an actual wrestler. But that part of the match was weak.

But in terms of just violent trash, this was great. A fun car wreck. If it was laid out a bit differently it would have been a great story but instead it was a lot of really repulsive spots that any ghoul like me would love but without much in the way of getting there. But definitely worth watching.

• Like 2

Watching the first Souled Out which I'd never seen.

It's the drizzling shits, natch. It was kind of obvious then, but it's more obvious now that making three people that were synonymous with New York the focal point of the promotion was horribly problematic.

Every time Hogan or the Outsiders went over, the WWE went over. Through that prism, Vince burying people like Goldberg and DDP makes a ton of sense.

On a completely different note, the stage with the KISS style lights was totally bad ass.

Show was worth it just for the ring announcer.

SHANE MCMAHON VS. KURT ANGLE, KING OF THE RING 2001

one of my all time favorite matches. the amount of punishment these men put themselves through is just unreal. and that non-breaking glass. damn. i'm cringing just thinking about it.

That Kurt/Shane match was one of the few times my Mom happened to be watching wrestling. She just kept saying "he's gonna kill that kid" every time Angle would do something to Shane. Especially when Shane bounced off the glass and landed on his dome.

Is Shane McMahon the best awful wrestler of all-time? He doesn't perform like he's not a wrestler trying to wrestle. He acts like he can wrestle and dudes like Kurt Angle have to act like his submission holds are brutal and he's a pudgy, out-of-shape non-athlete.

lBut at the same time, his punches aren't bad (but his dumb dance after punches is woeful) and he's willing to absolutely take any level of punishment whatsoever and/or risk permanent injury.

Like would Shane be the greatest CZW wrestler of them all?

JOHN CENA VS. RANDY ORTON, I QUIT, BREAKING POINT 2009 -- I've never seen this match but know the basics of how it's such a unique/strange match for the WWE. I don't remember the set-up to this at all. Is this when Orton punted Cena's dad in the head? Either way, these two hate each other and had the defining rivalry of their era, despite the flaws within that rivalry.

Cena starts this on absolute fire and looks a lot more "real wrestler" than he usually does. He actually looks really good. Orton transitions after a frantic two minutes and sends Cena to the floor (Centa takes a nasty floor bump) here Orton hits Cena with a monitor. Man, this is great and hate filled already. Orton reverts into stalker/predator mode. I like current era Orton more (entitled douche) more than evil Randy but I'm a weirdo. But he's really great like this. They go to a RKO to the chair spot like they apparently did on the last Raw before the PPV. Cena briefly gains control, goes for an AA but Orton counters and snaps Cena's neck across the rope, targeting that area. Orton gets for the punt. But Cena goes for the STF but Orton gets to the floor and whips Cena into the steps.

I love this so far. Cena's energy keeps getting countered by Orton's calculated manners, going for constant concussion blows. Orton than stomps on Cena's head as Cena is laid out on the steps. Cena's out cold and barely eeks out a "no" when asked if he'll quit. Cena gets stomped again and again says no in this really defeated manner. Orton now goes under the ring and slowly breaks out the handcuffs and key that this match is built around.

But so far in the first part of the match -- this is nasty and crazy and brutal. Orton now handcuffs Cena to the top rope and has the key dangling from his neck. Cena more energetically says no despite him being trapped. Orton smashes the mic across Cena's face (and it sounds sickening) and then unlocks the handcuff. Now he chains Cena's handcuffed together and puts him on the ring post and begins to torture the helpless Cena.

Cena looks like Christ being crucified while Orton is one of Pontius Pilate's minions taunting the messiah. Orton wakes Cena up with water "YOU'RE NOT PASSING OUT" and Cena spits the water in Orton's face when asked. Oh my god, that is so friggin' awesome. Now Orton gets a cane and sadistically lords over Cena before absolutely brutally beating Cena with it. Cena screams like he's being tortured. Cena contemplates quitting but firmly says no. Cena kicks Orton and gets off the ring post but is still handcuffed but has so many insane welts across his flesh. It's like his personal crown of thorns.

Cena goes for Orton who devastates Cena with a chair. Now Orton handcuffs Cena and is going for  something else with the cuffs. I friggin LOVE he has the key -- it's a great taunt and lets the narrative advance. Cena's now cuffed to the corner with a floor and Orton grabs the chair again. Orton destroys Cena with a chair and Cena screams like he's watching his child get killed. He defiantly says no. Cena dodges what could be the death blow and backdrops Orton before miraculously grabs the key, trembling in pain when he unlocks himself. He now cuffs himself to Orton who is doing such a good coward act. Cena fires back on fire and keeps throwing Orton into the table and it looks so awesome because Orton's frantically selling it.

Cena's adrenaline finally stops and he now gets into calculating mode. Cena's going for the AA but Orton counters to an RKO. Both are cuffed to each other, mind you, that looks like it can easily break a shoulder. Great camera shot of Orton finding the key and slithering over, having to drag the key. Orton's selling reaching the key like a supervillain dangling from a tree branch over a cliff. But Cena gets on the STFwith the handcuff strangling him as Orton reaches for the key. Orton can't reach and quits -- a total bully quitting the first time he's in trouble.

Oh my god, that match rules. It's so brutal and vicious and insane. Kudos to those guys for coming up with an entirely new match that's unlike anything I can remember seeing. This is a fantastic Cena comeback, too -- the STF looked completely insane and he took one of the most mansized beatings ever. Not sure I like Cena being able to talk on the mic afterwards but whatever.

This is an absolutely terrific I Quit match. Flair/Funk is still the apex of the genre (and always will be) but this is the best WWE I Quit match I can remember seeing. Dear lord.

A+.

EDIT: I"m reading other reviews of this match and, uhm, only a few people really see it the way I did, it seems? A lot of it seems like dummies who were OMGWTF CENA WON!!! as opposed to actually looking at the match itself and ignoring the booking. That's a huge pet peeve of mine when people review wrestling. Who cares if the guy you like or hate won? A great performance is a great performance whether you like jean shorts or not.

WWE ARMAGEDDON 2006 (SmackDown! Exclusive PPV)

This PPV pretty decent.  The first match was MVP vs. Kane in an Inferno Match.  Kane ends up setting MVP on fire while they are both outside the ring.  MVP actually was on fire for a while, while he ran around the ring before finally being extinguished.

WWE Tag Team Championship Four-Way Ladder Match - Paul London and Brian Kendrick © vs. MNM vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. Dave Taylor/William Regal

The second match on the card and the best.  Must see match on the Network.  The reunited teams, the Hardys and MNM, were added to this match at the beginning.  Probably from being the only bright spot from December to Dismember 2 weeks earlier.  All four teams just totally gave up their bodies in this match.  This match is notable for Joey Mercury getting his face crushed during the teeter-totter ladder spot, which caused him to be rushed to the hospital during the match.  London and Kendrick ended up retaining in one of the better ladder matches in WWE history.

• Like 1