DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Why not Davey Boy/HHH? And what about Undertaker/Kane?

I had honestly forgotten about Davey at this point. But yeah, Triple H vs. Davey is likely the match that goes down. Taker/Kane still happens but the big angle going into WrestleMania is the Corporate vs. Anti-Corporate angle.

Re: Angle/Brock

Benoit was the rumor at the time, no?

Since Bret has to win (to retain the title), how do you do a finish where Tyson loses clean but retains his heat? 

I remember old PWI results from 93 where for a month straight at WWF shows Bret beat Luger who he had in the sharpshooter by DQ because Razor Ramon ran in and broke it up. Same exact thing except Triple H breaks up the hold.

Man just thinking about it seeing Mike Tyson in a sharpshooter would probably be a sports center moment for the ages.

There's a fair amount of marketability in a Hart/Tyson match at this point. Tyson is the bad boy boxing champion, arguably the best of all time and Bret is the good guy Excellence of Execution, the best there is, was and ever will be. Tyson is symbolic of the new age anti-hero, Bret is increasingly seen as a bitter relic of the past. 

Do some "PURE SPORTS BUILD!" type press conferences and you have a match with a fair amount of buzz. 

Bret being around during Attitude would've been a lot of fun. I imagine eventually Bret is turned back face when The Rock turns heel at Survivor Series. Bret and Rock doing a series of matches would've been a load of fun too. Probably robs us of the Foley title win though. 

I imagine Bret gets involved with the UNION during 1999 and spends a lot of the year feuding with the Corporation/Corporate Ministry. Probably feuds with Jericho when he comes in. No clue where Bret finishes 1999 but Bret Hart in 2000 WWF has so much potential. Hart/Angle, Hart/Benoit, Hart/Jericho,

Bret being around during Attitude would've been a lot of fun. I imagine eventually Bret is turned back face when The Rock turns heel at Survivor Series. Bret and Rock doing a series of matches would've been a load of fun too. Probably robs us of the Foley title win though. 

I imagine Bret gets involved with the UNION during 1999 and spends a lot of the year feuding with the Corporation/Corporate Ministry. Probably feuds with Jericho when he comes in. No clue where Bret finishes 1999 but Bret Hart in 2000 WWF has so much potential. Hart/Angle, Hart/Benoit, Hart/Jericho,

I almost want to see Bret vs. Tazz in 2000. That could have been a fun match if Bret went really old school and did some Stu Hart dungeon torture submissions.

How long do you think Bret would've gone if the concussion had never happened? I see Bret and Austin re-igniting their feud during the Invasion (with Bret being the all-WWF good guy) but after that, it gets murky for me. In 2000 though, I definitely see Bret becoming a gatekeeper of sorts and removing himself from the main event scene until the Austin feud. 

WrestleMania X8 in Canada would've been an interesting one for Bret. 

Interesting, and a perfect retirement scenario ala Flair/HBK/Taker a decade later. Although considering how WWE was then, it most likely wouldn't have been as heartfelt and memorable as it would have been in this day and age.

Also, had he been around then, we could've gotten that Angle/Hart match that would've been the best WWE match of all time.

Interesting, and a perfect retirement scenario ala Flair/HBK/Taker a decade later. Although considering how WWE was then, it most likely wouldn't have been as heartfelt and memorable as it would have been in this day and age.

Also, had he been around then, we could've gotten that Angle/Hart match that would've been the best WWE match of all time.

I could see Bret getting an emotional sendoff. He would've spent 18 years in WWE by that point. The question is whether or not Bret would've wanted to retire for good at 45. 

Another question that has to be answered is what happens to Owen in this timeline. I assume Bret has enough clout to keep Owen from becoming The Blue Blazer so he likely survives. Bret vs. Owen at WrestleMania X8 could've been a dual sendoff since Owen wanted to retire when his contract expired anyway (in 2002). Even if it's just Owen's sendoff, it'd be a "WrestleMania moment." If Bret doesn't retire, he probably feuds with Angle after Mania and has awesome matches on SmackDown through the end of the year. 

Bret and Shawn reconciling would be a major theme after Shawn's return. Without Montreal, the ice is a little less chilled and Bret is less bitter so it'd probably happen. I could see Bret moving to RAW and teaming with Shawn against Evolution after the 03 Rumble. We possibly get Bret/HHH at Mania and Bret eventually putting over Randy Orton. Bret being in the ring to celebrate with Eddie and Benoit (especially Benoit) at Mania XX would be an emotional moment. I actually think Bret's final main event run would be a post-Mania feud with Benoit for the World Title.

Bret kind of transitions into a bitter old man heel and spends the mid 2000s doing great matches with the likes of Finlay and Regal. He ends up leading the protests against ECW in 05-06. As the decade comes to a close, he starts to transition out of the ring and maybe even becomes an on-air GM to keep himself on TV.

He eventually ends up managing The Hart Dynasty and Natalya and his in-ring duties become less and less. I honestly can't see Bret ever having a final send-off. The guy would want to lace up his boots to go out and work with guys like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and maybe even KENTA and Fergal. Bret's ego would want to prove that he is the best there is, the best was and the best there ever will be. Maybe he even makes a late in life comeback in 2013-2014 to feud with Daniel Bryan to try to stop the rise of the "Yes Movement" before eventually turning on The Authority to side with Bryan. 

The key thing here is that we're even still 2 years out from Bret's 20 year deal expiring. 

• Like 1

I could see Bret getting an emotional sendoff. He would've spent 18 years in WWE by that point. The question is whether or not Bret would've wanted to retire for good at 45. 

Another question that has to be answered is what happens to Owen in this timeline. I assume Bret has enough clout to keep Owen from becoming The Blue Blazer so he likely survives. Bret vs. Owen at WrestleMania X8 could've been a dual sendoff since Owen wanted to retire when his contract expired anyway (in 2002). Even if it's just Owen's sendoff, it'd be a "WrestleMania moment." If Bret doesn't retire, he probably feuds with Angle after Mania and has awesome matches on SmackDown through the end of the year. 

Bret and Shawn reconciling would be a major theme after Shawn's return. Without Montreal, the ice is a little less chilled and Bret is less bitter so it'd probably happen. I could see Bret moving to RAW and teaming with Shawn against Evolution after the 03 Rumble. We possibly get Bret/HHH at Mania and Bret eventually putting over Randy Orton. Bret being in the ring to celebrate with Eddie and Benoit (especially Benoit) at Mania XX would be an emotional moment. I actually think Bret's final main event run would be a post-Mania feud with Benoit for the World Title.

Bret kind of transitions into a bitter old man heel and spends the mid 2000s doing great matches with the likes of Finlay and Regal. He ends up leading the protests against ECW in 05-06. As the decade comes to a close, he starts to transition out of the ring and maybe even becomes an on-air GM to keep himself on TV.

He eventually ends up managing The Hart Dynasty and Natalya and his in-ring duties become less and less. I honestly can't see Bret ever having a final send-off. The guy would want to lace up his boots to go out and work with guys like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and maybe even KENTA and Fergal. Bret's ego would want to prove that he is the best there is, the best was and the best there ever will be. Maybe he even makes a late in life comeback in 2013-2014 to feud with Daniel Bryan to try to stop the rise of the "Yes Movement" before eventually turning on The Authority to side with Bryan. 

The key thing here is that we're even still 2 years out from Bret's 20 year deal expiring. 

That's it. It's settled that when time travel is invented we must do what ever it takes to keep Bret from going to WCW.

• Like 1

That's it. It's settled that when time travel is invented we must do what ever it takes to keep Bret from going to WCW.

Perhaps Chikara and Archibald Peck can help Bret go back in time.

• Like 1